• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You notice difference in water spots between rain and hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You notice difference in water spots between rain and hose?

Is it just in my area or does anyone else notice that after washing and rinsing a car with a garden hose, there are a lot more water spots then if car is left to dry naturally after a rain.

Re: You notice difference in water spots between rain and hose?

I have noticed that. I have softened water and hard water, both leave spots. What with the acid rain and all the pollen in the air, I would expect the rain water to leave more of a mark. I was just thinking of that today!
    A Pontiac is a Chevy with better trim.

Comment

I'm not a scientist, or even an amateur meteorologist, but I think it has something to do with rain water being de-ionized. Ever notice that sometimes before a storm, you can detect an almost metallic odor in the air? I think that might be brought on by the process of de-ionization (I would really have to check this to be sure). I base this theory - really a guess - very loosely upon my own observations of how water doesn't spot when I rinse my car with the de-ionization mode of my Mr. Clean AutoDry attachment.

Comment

Rain water is evaporated, so all the hard minerals are removed.

Hose/tap water has all the minerals in it, and these are what etch the paint.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

but I tend to notice severe water spots from rain water than from hose/tap water (and I do have hard water here).... could it be from the hard acid rain I have here in Indonesia? if I just leave the rain water for a day, the water sheeting I have on the roof is already leaving spots where the rain water landed.. :]
          Ganesa,
          Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Acid rain cant help.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

We have very hard water here, water dries white with all the calcium and is a pain to get rid of. Rain water isn't too bad though.
              For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Yep, I had the calcium problem yesterday.

Though I bought the Mr. Clean fastdry kit, threw meguiars soap in it, and used the de-ionizing filter in it. Works great, dries the car very nicely without having to do anything. Though some spots are still visible, it's about 95% non-water spots.

I wouldn't suggest using the Mr. Clean soap though, I think it'd be a little too harsh.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');