Paint Needs to Breathe - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Paint Needs to Breathe

          
  1. #21
    Registered Member rkollman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    OK, my original plan is to wait 90 days after my paint job on my Honda Truck. I'm at 30 days now. So far, I have been able to keep the finish beautiful with #80 and Final Inspection. I caught a break with the weather being mild in the North East and having my truck in the garage. The truck will still be in stored in the garage all winter but snow and salt are quite possible during my required commutes.

    I am really delighted with the polished finish and dont want to jump the gun and wax too early. But should I consider a greater potential problem with salt getting into the paint and therefore wax soon? I did read in the forum that #80 can help with the cure. Does that suggest my keeping the truck pristine and polished for 30 plus days may have opened the door to waxing earlier in the 30-90 day range?

  2. #22
    Registered Member Murr1525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    19,109
    Rep Power
    237

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    I have never heard of polishing helping paint cure faster....

    But as far as salt, hard to say. Washing often so the salt isnt laying around will do a better job than leaving salt laying on the car, even if it is waxed.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

  3. #23
    Registered Member rkollman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    any opinions on 30 to 90...? wait period. Silver metallic Honda Clearcoat? Painted at the dealership.

  4. #24
    Darth Camaro 12/27/15 Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,833
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    Quote Originally Posted by rkollman View Post
    any opinions on 30 to 90...? wait period. Silver metallic Honda Clearcoat? Painted at the dealership.
    Your best choice would be to ask the painter at the dealership, only he would be able to tell you for sure since he would know if it's an air-cure/heat-cure or other paint and how long you need to wait before waxing.
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

  5. #25
    Registered Member rkollman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Your best choice would be to ask the painter at the dealership, only he would be able to tell you for sure since he would know if it's an air-cure/heat-cure or other paint and how long you need to wait before waxing.
    I will ask him again. When I picked it up he was somewhat vague. Yeah, wait about 30 days or so. I was not sure if there is a preferred time. I think the truck spent the week end in a booth before i picked it up on a Tuesday.

  6. #26
    Registered Member rkollman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    Happy to say keeping my silver repainted Honda Ridgeline looking terrific without waxing has been reasonably easy using Speed Glaze and Final Inspection. I'm waiting 90 days before waxing because the finish is easy enough to keep looking excellent with these products. I guess I will take the high end of the range for the 30-90 day wait to wax recommendation?

    I did try something today with good results. I mixed the speed glaze and final inspection in a spray bottle. (50/50 or so). After using Final Inspection Only, i followed with this milk mix and got the best gloss so far and application and removal of the mix was easy?

    OK, I don't think Meguiar's has a product like this and its probably for a good reason? I welcome input here?

  7. #27
    Registered Member rkollman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    I'm approaching 60 days after my Honda 2006 Silver Ridgeline Truck was painted on the passengers side. I've been using #80 and Final Inspection on the whole vehicle (no wax at all) and the finish looks waxed and has an incredible gloss and the paint job was excellent. I may wait 30 more days to wax.

    Major wax question: I am undecided what may be the best wax to use. Should I avoid Hi Tech Sealants and use regular waxes for a few more months?

    I picked up this article and it would suggest not using any silicones and polymers. I intend to use either yellow wax, cleaner wax or a Meguiars special sealant.

    Website http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/enthusiast.htm
    "In the first 90 days"
    It is recommended that you not wax or polish the vehicle. This will allow the finish to completely dry and cure. (When you are ready to wax, do not use silicone containing or super polymer containing waxes or polishes) Today's finishes do not need such extreme protection and if your vehicle were involved in an accident, the removal of such waxes would be time consuming and expensive.

  8. #28
    Registered Member RamAirV1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,990
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    Quote Originally Posted by rkollman View Post
    I'm approaching 60 days after my Honda 2006 Silver Ridgeline Truck was painted on the passengers side. I've been using #80 and Final Inspection on the whole vehicle (no wax at all) and the finish looks waxed and has an incredible gloss and the paint job was excellent. I may wait 30 more days to wax.

    Major wax question: I am undecided what may be the best wax to use. Should I avoid Hi Tech Sealants and use regular waxes for a few more months?

    I picked up this article and it would suggest not using any silicones and polymers. I intend to use either yellow wax, cleaner wax or a Meguiars special sealant.

    Website http://www.ppg.com/car_autocoat/enthusiast.htm
    "In the first 90 days"
    It is recommended that you not wax or polish the vehicle. This will allow the finish to completely dry and cure. (When you are ready to wax, do not use silicone containing or super polymer containing waxes or polishes) Today's finishes do not need such extreme protection and if your vehicle were involved in an accident, the removal of such waxes would be time consuming and expensive.
    That is interesting information! Since it is coming directly from the paint manufacturer I would tend to give some credibility to it. But are silicone based sealants that hard to remove? If they were that hard to remove you would think that they would last longer.

    There was (maybe still is) a paint sealant called TST2000. They said in their literature that waxes drift off of the paint, and that polymers drift into the paint. If that is true, could that be a factor?

    It would be interesting to see any comments from Meguiars chemists on PPG's contention. I don't see where the silicone would be that hard to remove. If you're getting a repaint, aren't they stripping the paint all the way down to bare metal anyway? How can a silicone sealant survive that?

    RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

  9. #29
    Registered Member rkollman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    Quote Originally Posted by RamAirV1 View Post
    That is interesting information! Since it is coming directly from the paint manufacturer I would tend to give some credibility to it. But are silicone based sealants that hard to remove? If they were that hard to remove you would think that they would last longer.

    There was (maybe still is) a paint sealant called TST2000. They said in their literature that waxes drift off of the paint, and that polymers drift into the paint. If that is true, could that be a factor?

    It would be interesting to see any comments from Meguiars chemists on PPG's contention. I don't see where the silicone would be that hard to remove. If you're getting a repaint, aren't they stripping the paint all the way down to bare metal anyway? How can a silicone sealant survive that?

    RamAirV1
    I have heard before silicones can be an issue but as long as you make the shop aware they are not. I thhink they wash the vehicle down with a solvent intended to address this. I'm just trying to decide on what Meguiars wax or sealant to use on the new paint after reaching 90 days. Most body shops recommend 30 to 90 days waiting to wax. I intend to go the max of 90. Maybe anything will be fine.

  10. #30
    Registered Member RamAirV1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,990
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Paint Needs to Breathe

    If you want to go with a pure carnauba, maybe you can use some #16. I think it's a pure carnauba.

    I think you would be fine with any Megs LSP after 90 days though. Look how often products like #21 and NXT Tech wax are used on new cars.

    RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Paint Workability - The Hardness or Softness of your car's paint
    By Mike Phillips in forum Hot Topics & Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 27th, 2018, 12:33 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
  3. Blue Scion Xa Detail - 56k prepare to breathe heavy!
    By CWM3 in forum Show Off Your Latest Detail Work
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr 19th, 2007, 07:00 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 12th, 2006, 09:16 AM
  5. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •