• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Detailing w/ questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Detailing w/ questions

Hello all,
    I guess I should first let you all know that I am new to detailling. I have washed many cars but after reading a little bit here I realized that I know nothing about really cleaning and protecting them.

I just bought an 04 Mustang Mach 1 in black. I normally think I would stay away from a black vehicle because I have seen so many that just look awful after a few years. Too bad for me that I fell in love with a black car!

The car was built around the first of 2004 and probably sat on the lot all summer. I have not given it a good washing yet, but a quick inspection of the paint revealed that there appears to be water spots, some swirling/spiderweb looking marks and just a few light scratches.

I will be washing it with NXT wash and already have some Scratch X and NXT Wax.

I have read some on this site about cleaning/polshing/waxing but the more I read the more I get confused as to what I should do with in this particular case. I think when I get the first really good polish and wax the upkeep will be easier.

My questions are with this new car what should I use and do to the finish to give it a nice deep shine and protect the paint. Will I need to use paint cleaners and clay along with polish? Or is just a good cleaning, treatment with the Scratch X on the areas that need and a waxing only needed. ALso can this be done by hand? I'd hate to spend the money on a power polisher and only use it once the first time I clean the car.

I feel like I need a little hand holding on this one. I want to make the car look as nice as I can and would hate to screw up the finish.

Thanks!

Dave

Hi Deeve,

to Meguiar's Online!

I am sure you will find lots of good information for a beginner like yourself!

Give me a few minutes and I will respond to your questions.

Chris
    Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Here is a thread discussing the tools needed to start out. Mike also gives some product suggestions.

Newbie Thread

Chris
      Chris

1994 Accord

Comment

With a little work you can get your black looking awesome!

I was looking for a white lightning and nearly had the papers signed... but I was talked into black and I am very happy that I have it now! I had some of the same problems that you talk about with my truck. I bought it in December of 03, it was on the lot since spring of 03. A short time after I bought my truck I did the following:

1. Wash w/Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
        2. Clay w/Quik Clay Detailing System
        3. Wash w/Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
        4. Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner
        5. Deep Crystal System Polish
        6. NXT Generation Tech Wax (2 Coats and looks killer on black!)

I applied all with a PC but they can be applied by hand as well. This greatly reduced the problems and made the finish look great!

You really need to pay close attention to the quality of the wash mitts/microfiber towels that you use as the link in CN's post above points out. They should be good quality so they do not introduce any fine scratches. Also use the 2 bucket method to wash and/or get a Grit Guard. There is lots of good info on here just look it all over.

I have since changed my product around to what you see in my post below. Check out a post I made sometime ago:

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
        Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thanks for the info! I hear about the two bucket wash method....I kind of get an idea from the name, but what exactly is it?
          Soap/suds in one and then rinse the sponge in the other bucket between swipes? I really want to do it right the first time!

Dave

Comment

What I do is this:

One bucket has my soap the other is clean water. I place a Grit Guard Insert in the clean water bucket. I then dip my mitt in the soap bucket and wash a panel. Before dipping in the soap bucket again, i put the mitt in the clean bucket and rub it on the Grit Guard to remove dirt. Then repeat the process as many times as needed.

On thing you may wish to consider is using 2 or even 3 different mitts. I use one mitt, the best mitt I have, for the upper part of the car. For below the trim I use a different mitt. For the wheel wells I also use a different mitt.

Hope this helps!

Chris
            Chris

1994 Accord

Comment

Hi Deeve,
              Any chance we could see a pic or two so we know what your talking about.

Andy
              Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
              Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I will try and take some photos maybe Saturday after I wash it. I don't want the dirt to detract from the swirls
                Dave

Comment

OK, Here are a couple of photos. Looks like I'm not too good at taking pictures of paint! I cleaned of a couple of the areas that I know have some scratches but have yet washed the whole thing. I am going to be doing that later today but have to run some errands first.

The fender photo showed some kind of rub look mark on it. Looks like some lips to me. The door has a light scratch, probably from some keys and if you look close you can see some circular swirly marks.

The roof photo did not show anything so I did not attach it. Basically the roof has lots of light marks going in all directions. It looks like maybe whomever washed it had dirt on the spong.

I did manage to borrow a craftsman polisher. I haven't picked it up yet but it is one of these (not sure which one) http://www.sears.com/sr/search/featu...&bidsite=CRAFT

Like I mentioned before I have Scratch X, and NXT wash and wax.

I've got some great help so far, now that I have some photos to show the actual problem areas any changes in ideas, products or techniques would be great.
                  Attached Files

Comment

here is the other photo
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');