• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake Chrome Care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Chrome Care?

The chrome grill and mirror covers on my truck have started to look really pitted looking in the sun, I have waxed theses areas with the rest of my truck, but I'm wondering if wax is bad for the chromed plastic. What product should I be using and is their a way to rejuvinate this chrome?

Re: Fake Chrome Care?

Gently applying a cleaner/wax or wax is good care.

Not sure if there is a way to restore it.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Most plastic chrome grills are intended to be cheap for replacement in case of chip damages. Just replace the grill if it is bothering you.

Comment

If they are pitted,I don't think there is much you can do. I recentley changed the 'H' logo on my civic. It was original and 16yrs old and pitted. I only replaced it as I had to remove it.Otherwise I would have left it.

Where it is pitted,if that is the case,then the chrome is gone on those parts.The only thing you can do is replace the parts. If it's not that bad,just clean and wax.

Comment

if it's pitted, not a whole lot you can do. But I have used SwirlX with VERY light pressure to remove scratches in chome plastic grills.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
            Most plastic chrome grills are intended to be cheap for replacement in case of chip damages. Just replace the grill if it is bothering you.
            Not so easy on older cars with discontinued parts, and when used replacements are in no better shape then the ones you're looking to replace. Unfortunately, "re-chrome" on factory "fake chrome" plastics is not easy. Every chrome plater I spoke to during my restoration of an '86 Cutlass Supreme told me they can't redo these pieces. They best I could do was clean them up. Based on numerous threads on this topic, I picked up a bottle of PlastX to see about removing above the surface oxidation.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');