• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning cast aluminum components under the hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning cast aluminum components under the hood

Most newer cars have a lot of cast aluminum components under the hood. Things like brackets, intakes, etc., that have a real rough and grainy appearance. These things seem to hold the dirt more than others as a result of their rough finish. They're often not easy access to clean mechanically with a small brush.

I've done a complete engine detail using APC+ and water from a hose. Painted and polished surfaces look awesome, these cast pieces still show traces of "ground in dirt" in the pores.

Anything I can use to clean them? I can post a pic if it help.s

Thanks!

Re: Cleaning cast aluminum components under the hood

I've had great luck using Hot Rims All Wheel cleaner and have dabbled with Eagle 1 Etching Wheel cleaner (acid) but please be careful in you go with the latter and test spot, acid is to be respected!!!!!!

I only do the acid on occasion as needed and not a usual cleaner!
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Are the pores black or white?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie6th View Post
        Are the pores black or white?
        I don't know, hard to say, a combination of both?

Here's a quick picture, not the best, but it might give some insight. How would you get this bracket clean? When it was new, it had a clean cast appearance. You can see how dingy it looks now. It's a rough surface, so that dirt doesn't just wipe off.

Thanks. I'll see if I can find some better pictures to show what I'm talking about.

Comment

It's hard,dirty work. Steel wool with a bit of WD40 works well to get rid of the spots. After,you can polish up with Hot rims mag & aluminium polish. I did this about three months ago and the parts came really good and shiny.
          That's a link for mine.

'93 Civic Engine bay

Don't use the steel wool on smooth polished aluminium surfaces or it will scuff them.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');