• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who details in a small garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who details in a small garage?

Greetings all,

My wife and I purchased a home recently and we got a really good price for it, the problem is that I had to give up on having a big garage, it has a single garage that is fairly small, roughly 10x20 or so. For the price, we would have been fools not to purchase the home, so out the door went my big garage dream.

Do any of you detail in a small garage?

I see people posting up pics in the forum from massive garages and I was just curious if any of you are doing detailing from a garage as small as mine.

If you have any pics that would be great. I guess I am just curious to see if mine is really too small or if I could make it work.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Vito

'96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Re: Who details in a small garage?

One of the users here on MOL Presidental Detail used to do them in shoeboxes! I was always nervous id see a box fall on his work.
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post

One of the users here on MOL Presidental Detail used to do them in shoeboxes! I was always nervous id see a box fall on his work.
      HAHAHAHA! Yep, thats me, its not too fun but I had to make it work at the time. I currently insist on doing the work mobile at the customers homes. It helps, because when I am not at home I HAVE to keep working, so I get jobs done quicker, and we all know what that means!

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
      Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer

Comment

I have a two car garage but it usually had a truck and a car in it so there is little space. I really don't have an issue with only 2-3' between the vehicles. My recommendation is to set up the garage so there is no clutter on the floor. I installed adjustable shelves on most of my walls, higher up so they did not get in the way. With the right set up, I'm betting you will do just fine.

Comment

This is how small my garage is, I will sometimes work the front half of a car and then turn the car around and back it in the garage and finish the back half. Expecially if it is rainy or it is cold outside. P.S. I hope the pics turn out I'm still new at that.
          Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

I'm in the small garage club also:

It's a bit annoying but I can get everything I need done. I suggest FANS! The small enclosure gets so much hotter than a regular size garage. Also invest in some shelves that you can install in the higher areas to take advantage of the area you have.
            Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

I'm in the no garage club now. My wife and I purposesly downsized 8 years ago to a much smaller house (closer to in-laws/job). I do miss having my 2 car garage though.

Comment

Originally posted by TxRado View Post
                Also invest in some shelves that you can install in the higher areas to take advantage of the area you have.
                This is what I did.

Comment

^Oh nice! More details on hardware please.
                  Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by TxRado View Post
                    ^Oh nice! More details on hardware please.
                    Just generic adjustable tracks (double tracks... they have two slots for stronger supports) from Home Depot or Lowe's. Heavy duty supports and standard press board shelves. It costs just a little bit more this way bit now I can adjust the space on each shelf as my needs change. For example, over the last year my car care collection has increased about 5 times so I just bought 2 more shelves that I'll be adding just above the bottom shelves. I'll probably move some of the middle ones up a little higher.

Note: the reason for the odd alignment of the supports near the window is that I mounted them into the studs and this was the only way to do it in that area. Mounting them in the studs assured that I could put the full 125lbs on the shelves.

Comment

Thanks tcope!
                      Detailing Enthusiast

Comment

My garage has space for 2 cars but I usually have 1 car space to work with.

So yes I work in a small garage

Comment

Fot the last 4 years I was working out of a small garage. It was confining, but workable. You get your bearings, get into a routine of what works and what does not, and it all works out.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');