• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D151 help (paging Tim Lingor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D151 help (paging Tim Lingor)

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post

Firstly, I just want to clarify that D151 is actually between M83 and M66 Solo in terms of aggressiveness. So while it may finish down similar to M205, it is far more aggressive. Therefore depending on how it is used, D151 may 'act' like a light cleaner/compound, when in reality, it is fairly aggressive.
    Yeah, that's actually what I thought too.

Comment

Hey,

It sounds like you are over priming the pad considerably. You only want enough product to 'just' cover the pad's surface. Too much product will take away the cut from the pad. If the pad is 'sucking' in at the center (heavy build-up in the center but not much on the outside...?) the pad needs to be replaced with a clean dry one as that pad is now way over saturated and is beyond cleaning with a towel. Is the product starting to wick through the Velcro on the back of the pad? I bet it is...that is over saturation....

Take a black felt marker and place 2 marks on opposite side on the back of the pad. Now apply enough downward pressure so that they turn, but not by much. You want the pad to keep turning, but not much more.

So...switch pads, prime less, more pressure over a smaller area with a longer working time. That should do it! If it does not, then we need to move to the next step!

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

hehehe ok so i am guilty of over priming!!!! LOLOL

there is a lot of buildup in the center, the pad did not leak through to the velcro so i guess it wasn't as bad as it could have been

thanks for the advice! i will try this the next day it doesn't rain here in NJ

p.s- how much 151 do you put on the pad after it's been primed? how often should i put 2-3 pea size drops on? every time i finish a 18x18 area?
        www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

Originally posted by dreamps View Post
          hehehe ok so i am guilty of over priming!!!! LOLOL

there is a lot of buildup in the center, the pad did not leak through to the velcro so i guess it wasn't as bad as it could have been

thanks for the advice! i will try this the next day it doesn't rain here in NJ

p.s- how much 151 do you put on the pad after it's been primed? how often should i put 2-3 pea size drops on? every time i finish a 18x18 area?
          Normally for most products used with the DA, I will use a thin line of product around the pad. However, with the SMATs I have found that using slightly less works better. Therefore, 3-4 dime size drops work very well...with a primed pad.

Not to worry! We will get that paint looking awesome!

Tim

Comment

sweet thanks!!!!

my last question is should i put 3-4 dime sized drops on every new section?
            www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

sweet thanks!!!!

my last question is should i put 3-4 dime sized drops on every new section?
              Yes, every 18"x18", apply 3-4 drops to the pad. Remember to clean the pad after each panel to remove excess product and paint build up. You may have to clean the pad more often as it becomes saturated. For your Jeep, I would probably use 3-4 polishing pads for just the D151 step.

Tim

Comment

hmmmm interesting!!! thanks!!! i only have 2 orange pads time to get some more pads!!!

im also gonna try cleaning on the fly with terry towels instead of mf towels
                www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

hmmmm interesting!!! thanks!!! i only have 2 orange pads time to get some more pads!!!

im also gonna try cleaning on the fly with terry towels instead of mf towels
                  Morning,

Yes, you are going to need more pads!

Please keep us posted on your results!

Tim

Comment

will do!!! thanks again for all of your help. oddly enough my pads are drying and im hoping the center pops back out after they fully dry. i threw them in the dryer on low for 20 mins to help dry. they are now face down on a towel.
                    www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

I experienced the same kind of results as you on a 2008 Jeep Liberty. The paint seems simliar to yours. You can read a little bit about my experience in my results thread here: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37768.

I probably needed to adjust my technique as Tim has described in this thread. I decided to use Ultimate Compound instead of D151 because I wanted to get done with less work. In the end I ended up following up with M205, but had I tried the techniques that Tim has posted I probably could have gotten away with one longer pass with D151 alone.

I'm doing a 2007 Dodge Ram soon that needs some paint correction. It is a lease turn-in so I'll give D151 another shot on that job.

Comment

sorry bro i wasn't online since fri and saw this thread! awesome job on the liberty! i have the same brilliant black paint. it ***** when it's swirled b/c you can see them instantly in any light!

im going to try d151 again but i have a feeling that the jeep CC is hard and needs something stronger. i could be totally wrong. i will work the pass longer and lets see what happens. if not i can try UC since i know it works well now.

thanks bro!
                        www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

Sorry about reviving an old thread here, but I've done a fair few cars now with D151 and a rotary. D151 is very sensitive to the pad being overly saturated - if the pad is rather wet in the center then switch pads or clean it thouroughly. I use a pad-brush after every round on each panel, and quick-clean it after 2-3 panels. Halfway done with the car I usually grab a new pad (if the car is big I usually grab a new pad after 1/3rd of the car).

And cut-wise it's above 205 - I've tested 205 vs D151 on three cars recently and D151 cuts way more than 205.

But the real beauty of D151 is it's versatilty - I've used wool, cut, polish and finish pads with D151, all depending on what I'm trying to achieve. Yes, 205 will finish down just a tiny bit sharper than D151 but nothing you'd notice from further away than a couple of inches from the paint when using a SunGun...

Just did an orange Freelander 2 2007 - and did 80% of the work with D151. Am learning the ins and outs of 105 still, but used 105 and 205 a bit on that car too. Amazing stuff really. I always top off with a glaze + sealer + wax (after an IPA wipedown, thus removing the wax-part of D151).
                          09 Toyota Verso Polar Blue Metallic 1.8 MultidriveS Premium
                          - paint softer than butter

Comment

Originally posted by EssieK View Post
                            Sorry about reviving an old thread here, but I've done a fair few cars now with D151 and a rotary. D151 is very sensitive to the pad being overly saturated - if the pad is rather wet in the center then switch pads or clean it thouroughly. I use a pad-brush after every round on each panel, and quick-clean it after 2-3 panels. Halfway done with the car I usually grab a new pad (if the car is big I usually grab a new pad after 1/3rd of the car).

And cut-wise it's above 205 - I've tested 205 vs D151 on three cars recently and D151 cuts way more than 205.

But the real beauty of D151 is it's versatility - I've used wool, cut, polish and finish pads with D151, all depending on what I'm trying to achieve. Yes, 205 will finish down just a tiny bit sharper than D151 but nothing you'd notice from further away than a couple of inches from the paint when using a SunGun...

Just did an orange Freelander 2 2007 - and did 80% of the work with D151. Am learning the ins and outs of 105 still, but used 105 and 205 a bit on that car too. Amazing stuff really. I always top off with a glaze + sealer + wax (after an IPA wipedown, thus removing the wax-part of D151).
                            Morning,

Since the SMAT's in the D151 do not break down, as you have discovered, a saturated pads cut less. That is why I have always suggested, even a few posts above to clean your pads often or to switch to clean pads when they become too saturated...

Yes, D151 is an awesome product and its versatility is amazing.

Here is my original review of the product...

*New* Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream Review!!!

Tim

Comment

Hehe, it was your review that prompted me to pick up a gallon of the stuff. Easy to learn - but has potential in its versatility that is far beyond anything Meguiar has released (in my very own and humble opinion). People tend to scoff when you go AIO on a car, but they usually keep quiet when they see the result
                              09 Toyota Verso Polar Blue Metallic 1.8 MultidriveS Premium
                              - paint softer than butter

Comment

thanks EssieK and Tim!!!

yeah i bought 5 more LC pads (3orange 2 white) so now i have 10 pads and won't have the same issue with oversaturated pads...

the odd thing is the 1 orange pad that was overly saturated, is still concaved in slightly in the middle after washing and fully drying. is this pad garbage now? it was only used 1x but was overly saturated with d151
                                www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');