• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Lingor's *New* "Ultimate Protectant" Review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tim Lingor's *New* "Lab Sample P" Review!

Thanks for the update Tim.

I appreciate you taking the time to update us on your long term findings on how to achieve optimal results with the new Ultimate Protectant.

This will definitely help cut down on the trial and error period for everyone else when using this new product.

I'm looking forward to some warmer weather around here so that I can pick up a bottle and try it out on my truck.

Thanks
    Brian

Comment

Any tests on engine bay plastics?

Comment

Whoa, that's impressive!

Thanks Tim.
        Originally posted by Blueline
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for the update Tim!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
            I have tested many products over the years and the first thing I learned early on is to never jump to conclusions in regards to a product's performance. I need to see how the product performs over the long term and in different situations in order to give an accurate opinion. In the case of Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant (UP) I needed to see for myself if the product did indeed live up to its advertised ability.
            Well said !

Meguiar's new Ultimate Protectant takes a very unique approach and with it a different application process as well.

Firstly, UP does behave differently on certain types of plastics. Just like some compounds work better on different paints, so too does Meguiar's UP. On most plastics it spreads ultra easily, leaving a nice uniform coat. On other plastics, it may need a couple of applications in order to even out the coverage. Again this appears to be both plastic and vehicle specific. Nothing serious, but something to keep in mind never-the-less.
            Couldn't agree more !

Secondly, one must pre-clean the plastic thoroughly and I mean thoroughly with a good quality cleaner like Meguiar's APC(+) or M39 before applying the UP. Therefore, you should thoroughly clean the plastic before applying UP, IMHO.

Thirdly, I found that UP does seem to bond better when used in warmer temperatures. I tried applying the UP to plastic that was very cold (as in temperatures close to, but not freezing) and while it went on, it did not bond well. Once I warmed-up the plastic in a garage, the UP did bond properly. Again, I must stress that it was cold, and very damp. When used in normal detailing conditions, it is not an issue at all.
            Excellent advice !

Once I figured out the optimum application methods, I have to say that UP is an excellent product! What I like most is that it applies easily, spreads easily and leaves a non-greasy feel and a nice satin sheen! The plastic does not look ultra dressed with a greasy look to it. Instead, it leaves a nice, like-new, look to the plastic and it does not seem to attract dust like conventional dressings! I have found all kinds of uses for it including: side skirts, air dams, windshield cowls, interior trim etc etc! And BEST of all, the product lasts!! The product is unlike any other dressing product I have used, and I have used many! Just remember to keep in mind my above comments during application and you will love this product!

That reminds me, I have to go dress the mirrors on my truck, after all summer is just around the corner!
            Get to dressin !!

Tim...thank you AGAIN for such in depth and honest feedback ! We all appreciate the time and energy you put into testing, documenting, and posting !!!!

Mike Pennington
            Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
            Meguiar's, Inc.
            800-854-8073
            mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mister B View Post
              Thanks for the update Tim.

I appreciate you taking the time to update us on your long term findings on how to achieve optimal results with the new Ultimate Protectant.

This will definitely help cut down on the trial and error period for everyone else when using this new product.

I'm looking forward to some warmer weather around here so that I can pick up a bottle and try it out on my truck.

Thanks
              Originally posted by speed3blackmica View Post
              wow and the darkeness of the trim stays ? thats impressive
              Originally posted by Michael Stoops View Post
              Awesome write up (as usual), Tim!! Nice to see UP holding up so well for you after this much time.

As Tim has noted, application of Ultimate Protectant is different than that of other vinyl & plastic dressings. For a run down of proper application process, please see How to apply Ultimate Protectant
              Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
              Thanks for the tips and updates, Tim. Based largely on your review (which I read just before SEMA last year) I purchased a bottle of UP with my last ADS order. I hope to give it a try this weekend.
              Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
              Thanks for the update Tim!
              Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
              Whoa, that's impressive!

Thanks Tim.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Hopefully, the review helps!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                Any tests on engine bay plastics?
                Morning,

Sorry, I have not tried it on engine bay plastics. Normally I use Hyper Dressing or the discontinued Engine Kote. I can not see why it would not work in the engine bay, but I think a spray dressing (HD) would be easier to get into the tighter spots rather than trying to apply a dressing by hand....

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
                  Well said !

Couldn't agree more !

Excellent advice !

Get to dressin !!

Tim...thank you AGAIN for such in depth and honest feedback ! We all appreciate the time and energy you put into testing, documenting, and posting !!!!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the post!

I am that you the review!

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the upate my friend! As always a professionaly done, complete, unbiased and knowledgable review.

I personally reference your reviews and posts quite frequently when I have a question about a product or process!!!

Andy
                    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');