• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Lingor's *New* "Ultimate Protectant" Review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tim Lingor's *New* "Lab Sample P" Review!

Here is one more teaser shot showing the slight cleaning ability of the product.

Further follow-ups are pending....

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

cant wait for this product to launch.. hate teasers
      Ganesa,
      Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

this stuff looks great Tim!!!

i wonder if this will remove white wax residue from trim plastic/rubber
        www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

Morning,

Well, I wanted to post this as part of the original post to keep it congruent and professional looking, but here it is anyway...

Having spent some time playing with Lab Sample P, I have discovered a few interesting traits and have drawn a few conclusions though I still reserve my final judgement for long term durability until after I have observed it over a period of time.

As I said in my original review, the Lab Sample P did a terrific job on interior plastics, making them look clean without out the greasy feeling usually associated with dressings. However, what I have discovered is that the Lab Sample P can on certain plastics leave a little too glossy of a finish requiring a quick wipe down with a MF towel. So while on most plastics, it leaves a beautiful low sheen finish, on other plastics, it, like most dressings, leaves a little too glossy of a finish for my tastes. Therefore as I said above, this necessitates a wipe down with a MF towel. This is not a negative against the product but rather a heads-up so that a person does not expect one thing and then gets another as his/her vehicle's plastics may be the ones that allow a high gloss finish to occur. This means the amount of gloss is vehicle specific and there is no way to enusre a product can perform the same on each and every vehicle's interior plastics.

With that said, having used the Lab Sample P on may exterior plastics, here too I have found the same characteristics noted above, although a couple of other areas also showed themselves.

Because my truck sits outside 24/7, in extreme heat, extreme cold and because I use it for camping and fishing, the plastic inserts on my bumper are now a little weathered on my 1999 Ford Super Duty. I figured this would be a good test for the new dressing.

*Please note: I did not pre-clean these plastic inserts on the bumper prior to using the Lab Sample P. That does not mean dirty but rather was not thoroughly cleaned with a plastic cleaner first. So while they look severely weathered, alas they are not. Had I pre-cleaned them with APC+ or M39, they would have been a whole lot cleaner than in the photos!

I have received some comments and have read posts where people can not believe I would have something this weathered. Again, they were not cleaned first and to be frank, they look pretty darn good for a 10 year old daily driven truck that sits outside 24/7!

Part of any test requires that a product's characteristics be considered. In this case, I wanted to test out the Lab Sample P's cleaning and it restorative ability of exterior plastics. In the below photos, you will see that the Lab Sample P did an outstanding job of both cleaning and restoring the plastic to a like new condition. The finish is clean, and again, not very greasy norslippery.

This last point I need to elaborate on. Because my truck sits up so high, I must step on the bumper in order to gain access to tie-down straps etc for my aluminum boat. Often after I have applied a dressing to the plastic insert, I have stepped up and almost broke my neck as my shoes skidded off the plastic! If your shoes are wet or there is water on top of regular dressing, it is as slippery as ice and a person must use caution in order to avoid slipping and falling! I have a nice dent in my shin bone from slipping off on one camping trip! But with the Lap Sample P, while it is not as greasy as regular dressings can be, you still need to be careful when stepping on dressed exterior plastics!

Like any product, certain dressings perform on some surfaces better than others. Hence the reason a company like Meguiar's offer so many different dressings. In the case of the Lab Sample P, though many other reviewers have tested it on exterior plastics without issue, I have found a curious result.

When applying it to non-precleaned (not dirty) plastic, it required a fair amount product in order to cover an area. So while on new plastics and on interior plastics which are not subjected to the outside elements, it spread easily, so was not the case on the non-cleaned plastic insert. I needed to apply multiple amounts to the foam applicator in order to get full coverage. So while that is not totally unexpected being that the Lap Sample P is so thick and is not greasy, I did use more product than I would have thought would have been required. My wife who was taking the photos also noted as I was applying it that I was using far more product than had I used Meguiar's All Season Dressing. Again I believe it was a function of the bumper insert being dirty and older which is why the other testers did not find this attribute. Therefore, I need to elaborate on this last point.

Unlike All Season Dressing which goes on incredibly easy, it is, however, a little greasy during application. This extra lubrication, for lack of a better word, allows it to cover and spread over weathered and/or non pre-clean plastics a little easier. However, perhaps the fact that one has to use more Lab Sample P product and must work it into weathered plastics more thoroughly, may in fact penetrate better and therefore last longer. This last fact will be tested and monitored as I am watching both sides of the bumper as one side has the new Lab Sample P while the other has my usual dressing, All Season Dressing applied to it. As I said, I am curious about the Lab Sample P's durability and if it lasts longer, remains less greasy or non slippery, especially when wet, I would not mind taking the extra time to apply more product as the benefits will be well worth it!

Here are the photos:

Non-Pre-cleaned plastic

Applying the Lab Sample P to the applicator and the final application to the plastic insert

*Note the cleaning ability on non-precleaned plastic, (again, not dirty plastic as noted above)

Finally, with the tape removed, the difference is quite dramatic!!!

I hope to bring further updates....

Tim

Comment

Again Great Informative review complete with color commentary.

Not trying to over work you but a side by side with Hyper Dressing mixed 3:1 for the satin finish would be very interesting both from color enhancing to longevity.

Comment

Thanks for the update Tim.

I am curious to see how this holds up against ASD.
              Nick
              Tucker's Detailing Services
              815-954-0773
              2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post

Not trying to over work you but a side by side with Hyper Dressing mixed 3:1 for the satin finish would be very interesting both from color enhancing to longevity.
                Morning,

Let me see what I can do! I just happen to have Hyper Dressing set up in different bottles with different ratios depending on a person's personal preference.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                  Thanks for the update Tim.

I am curious to see how this holds up against ASD.
                  Will do Nick.

Right now, after a very strong rain and freezing temperatures, it is almost a draw. The ASD is a little less slick with water on it than the Lab Sample P which I did not expect. Does that mean that the Lab Sample P is holding up better or is it that ASD is less slick with water on it is any one's guess at this point. Only time will tell with further long term testing!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post

Hi Frank,

OK, here is what I have done. I am testing the Lab Sample P on one side of a plastic window cowl and Hyper Dressing at 3:1 on the other side. At that ratio, the HD is extremely close in look/sheen to the Lab Sample P with a very tiny edge in gloss to the Lab Sample... Again, I used separate foam applicators for application so that the results are not skewed in way or the other...

I will keep monitoring the cowl as I figure that this would be a great test considering that the cowl will be exposed to the harsh elements in every day driving...

I will post follow-ups...

Tim

Comment

Tim, could you please try this lab sample on a vinyl top. I want to know how it will hold up versus M40 on my landau top.
                      James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                      Calais Auto Detailing
                      CalaisDetails@aim.com
                      www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Calais View Post
                        Tim, could you please try this lab sample on a vinyl top. I want to know how it will hold up versus M40 on my landau top.
                        Morning,

I will if I come across one. I just do not see many vinyl tops anymore these days.

The one thing I can surmise in your case however is that the Lab Sample P does not seem to run down the sides of a vehicle which is a big plus as most dressings do tend to run...

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                          Hi Frank,

OK, here is what I have done. I am testing the Lab Sample P on one side of a plastic window cowl and Hyper Dressing at 3:1 on the other side. At that ratio, the HD is extremely close in look/sheen to the Lab Sample P with a very tiny edge in gloss to the Lab Sample... Again, I used separate foam applicators for application so that the results are not skewed in way or the other...

I will keep monitoring the cowl as I figure that this would be a great test considering that the cowl will be exposed to the harsh elements in every day driving...

I will post follow-ups...

Tim
                          Thanks Tim The Cowl should be a great test for uv hold out as well
                          Thank you so much for all your efforts and expertise

Comment

I'm keen to find out results of long term tests.

Thanks Tim!
                            Originally posted by Blueline
                            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                              Morning,

I will if I come across one. I just do not see many vinyl tops anymore these days.

The one thing I can surmise in your case however is that the Lab Sample P does not seem to run down the sides of a vehicle which is a big plus as most dressings do tend to run...

Tim
                              Thanks Tim!
                              James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                              Calais Auto Detailing
                              CalaisDetails@aim.com
                              www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Was this one of the new 2010 products announced earlier this week? Or, is this one still to be released yet.

Thanks,
                                Shawn

Never mind

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');