• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Blazer - Swirls Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Blazer - Swirls Removed

Bought the blazer used and haven't had the confidence or know-how to try to fix the problems with the paint. I found Meg's Online just 2 weeks ago and have been reading and learning ever since.

Left side is just a GC Wash. Right side is a GC Wash, #9 by hand, and NXT wax by hand.

I'll have more pictures tomorrow when the sun is out.

I'm going to keep working on this now that I've seen what a little elbow grease and the right products can do. I'll post more pics of my continuing progress here also.

---------------------------
    Chris
    Last edited by kuhlguy71; Jan 10, 2005, 02:44 PM.

Black paint... every detailers nemesis

I would reccomend "Scratch X" followed by NXT. ScratchX is a great minor scratch remover and it can be applied by hand (prepare for cramps!).

The other option would be 90$ on a Porter Cable polisher. It really just depends on how insane you want to be!
    I sometimes judge people by the cleanliness of their car.
    Take the Car Crazy Test

Comment

more pics

I got some pics in the sun. I noticed a huge improvement from the driver door to the rear door. Even the color is deeper!

Pardon my spotty windows. Went right to experimenting after drying.

Question: Should I keep using #9 by hand bit by bit to remove the remaining swirls on the rear door?

Does ScratchX provide more cutting power by hand than #9?

Chris
      Last edited by kuhlguy71; Nov 25, 2004, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Looking good. Scratch X is one of my favorite products to use by hand because it works well at remove defects by hand. Try Scratch X and see if it works. I would use scratch X then #9 then NXT all by hand.

Eric
        Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

You've made some good progress. I'd second the idea of the PC to speed things up and get the paint to its maximum potential.

Here's a thread on ScratchX. How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX . This will be very helpful if you choose to try this product.

How has the #9 worked for you by hand?? I've used with PC with OK results.

Comment

#9 works ok by hand, but really, like a lot of other pro products, it works much better by buffer, specifically rotary.
            Later,
            Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
            Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

I think you've made a pretty good progress! Keep it up! If you're thinking about buying ScratchX, I would suggest you do because I think it's more aggressive when applied by hand... Plus the article that scrub pointed out is geared towards using ScratchX by hand so this would help you out a lot.

Hope this helps...
              2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Hi Chris,

It looks like your really making some headway with the finish!

As scrub pointed out, the how to article for using ScratchX by hand will help you to get great results when using this product by hand. It will be a lot more aggressive than #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 by hand for removing swirls and scratches.

Is this a clear coat finish? Are you pulling black pigment when you're applying and removing the #9 Swirl Remover 2.0?

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm amazed!

OK, it's now been 1.5 months since those before shots were taken and now I've got a g100 and some #7 added to my arsenal. I had clayed the car just before the New Year waiting for my g100 to arrive. I made time this past weekend to work on the Blazer. Finally!

Here'e what I did:

Wash: GC wash
                  Clean: #9 via g100
                  Polish: #7 via g100
                  Wax: NXT Wax by hand

Now the pictures aren't the best since I didn't have sunshine, just clouds, all weekend. Plus I took them this morning, at 5am, when I noticed that the roads were wet, attempting to capture my results.

There's some dust on the tailgate, but check out the reflection!! (pardon the reflection of the flash on the lefthand side.

Here's the same pillar from the before shots above.

Lower on the same pillar
                  Last edited by kuhlguy71; Jan 10, 2005, 11:05 AM.

Comment

...and the hood near the driver side fender

This Blazer has NEVER looked this good. My wife said this morning she didn't want to drive it and get it dirty... but she has to and it will come home dirty from the rain that wasn't forecasted. At least the swirls are gone!!

Comment

reflections

Last edited by kuhlguy71; Jan 11, 2005, 06:22 PM.

Comment

more reflections

This one is the reflection of the clouds with a couple of small rock chips still visible.
                        Last edited by kuhlguy71; Jan 11, 2005, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Great job! The PC and your skill have worked wonders.

Did you ever use ScratchX? I was a skeptic of this product until I used it correctly like the article stated. Big help.

Thanks for taking the time to upload those great pics too.

Comment

Originally posted by scrub
                            Great job! The PC and your skill have worked wonders.

Did you ever use ScratchX? I was a skeptic of this product until I used it correctly like the article stated. Big help.

Thanks for taking the time to upload those great pics too.
                            I actually didn't use ScratchX this time around. Just 9, 7 and NXT Wax.

Now that it's all polished up I can see more defects that might come out. Some others won't, but since this a daily driver, it's not too big of a deal. I plan on working on it again in a couple of months, and at that time I will use the ScratchX. BTW, I love the way ScratchX works!!

Comment

I just can't resist it. I have to say it's awesome improvement!
                              I wash and wash my car until the whole thing disappeared!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');