• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

white dots wetsanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white dots wetsanding

Hi guys, I just painted my first car and I had extreme Orange peel everywhere the car. I only ran 20 psi to my gun so I wasn't close to having enough cfm. I sprayed a lot of clear coat on my car and I have been starting wetsanding with 600 by hand. I moved on to wetsanding with a palm sander it sped up the process a lot! i know wetsanding is only suppose to be by hand but this was an extreme circumstance. It works really good but theres like white specs all over the door and other areas some areas. I also hand sanded the hood and theres some white dots there also and I never touch it with the palm sander. If i look really close it looks as if the the white specs are stuck on top if the tiny low spots on the car. I could get the bigger specs out by using 1200 grit but theres like super tiny dotsI cant get out. Heres some pics. Has anybody experiance this before? Any body having any ideas to get it out?

Re: white dots wetsanding

First off, the pics are huge...I approved them for now, but can you see if you can re-post them at 700 pixels wide OR LESS please? Thanks!

As for the issue... does the color coat, or clear coat have metallic flake?

I also noticed some pig tails in the upper right corner of the picture.

Comment

Re: white dots wetsanding

Morning,

A few questions:

1. Did you use a water in-line filter on your compressor?
      2. How much time did you leave between coats? ie. Base coat to CC?
      3. How much reducer did you use? Was it of a high quality?

That could be 'blistering' which happens from moisture and/or solvents getting trapped between coats. Then as it dries, the moisture can not escape.

If that is the case, you have a major problem to deal with... If sanding does not repair it, and it may not as it may be down at the BC level, then only a complete strip and repaint is in order.

It also could be from not mixing the paint properly which can leave tiny particles spread throughout the paint. Did you strain the paint first?

Hopefully someone with autobody experience will chime in...

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');