• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a bad car, need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a bad car, need advice...

Early this year I was in search for a '93-96 Cadillac Fleetwood for a good price in Orange County, CA. I found a deal in Ontario,CA. The seller and I both agreed on me making monthly payments and he would hang out to the title and registration on the mean while. When I paid for the car in full, I got the title and found out it had a salvaged title, I thought nothing of it as it ran fine and it looked great. Well a couple of weeks later, the car failed smog due to high NOx and now it looks as if I need a new transmission as it slips when I hit 25mph.

I have notified the DMV about the sell yet haven't been able to pay for the registration as I haven't even been able to get it to pass smog and now have more problems with the transmission.....the car was sold "as-is" and I have a contract which says so, yet I bought thinking it would pass smog and was also told it had passed a smog a couple of months before I bought it (it was registered and the tags expire this month.) Well I read on the DMV that the seller is required to make it pass smog and as it won't pass smog, the sell is null and void. I am unemployed at the moment and have no money for the cat. converters or transmission rebuilt. Can anybody tell me what I can do from here? Thank you.

I have also contact the seller and he's said he could take care of the cat. converters once he finds a price on them but that was on Wednesday and it takes him a long time to respond to my messages or calls. I just want to take care of this ASAP as I need a reliable car for my family.

Re: Bought a bad car, need advice...

The seller's out will be the car would pass smog at the time you bought it and took possession. At this point it would be impossible to prove otherwise and the claim may even be true.

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
      The seller's out will be the car would pass smog at the time you bought it and took possession. At this point it would be impossible to prove otherwise and the claim may even be true.
      I have the receipt and report from the smog test...also have a contract and receipts or the car's purchase and text messages of him letting me know he would take care of the cat. converters and me informing him that the car didn't pass smog. The car is not registered under my name.

Comment

So, just for reference, it is still legally his car but you paid him for it? How long before you bought the car was the smog test? I thought if it had been smogged in the past 90 days, that certificate was valid. I know you are past this now, but curious how long it had been. The smog is one thing, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about the transmission. "Wear and tear," at unfortunately, an inconvenient time. I had that happen too after I had my Neon for 3 months. Had to take the transmission out twice (requires complete removal of the front end of the car) to fix it. I can't remember the previous threads before, but what have you done with the transmission thus far?

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
          So, just for reference, it is still legally his car but you paid him for it? How long before you bought the car was the smog test? I thought if it had been smogged in the past 90 days, that certificate was valid. I know you are past this now, but curious how long it had been. The smog is one thing, but I don't think there is anything that can be done about the transmission. "Wear and tear," at unfortunately, an inconvenient time. I had that happen too after I had my Neon for 3 months. Had to take the transmission out twice (requires complete removal of the front end of the car) to fix it. I can't remember the previous threads before, but what have you done with the transmission thus far?
          Well...I paid for the car in full. I notified the DMV of the sell yet I haven't paid the taxes or registration transfer fees. I haven't done anything with the transmission. I am really hoping it's linked with the O2 sensors. I took in to AMCO were I was simply told the transmission fluid had a "burnt odor." Next weekend I'm going to take it a transmission shop I found on the web, for a transmission computer check and test drive from the owner. I've found many 4L60E transmissions on ebay yet they have different car makes listed on the title and wouldn't know if they would work on my car or if I should just have it rebuilt. So far the cheapest quote I've gotten (out of 3) is $1200 with 6 month/6k mile warranty.

Comment

Is the car worth fixing? I think this model runs around 1000 to 2000 at dealer auctions (I have seen them do 4000+ for a 50K puff). The salvage title really kills it for resale. If you post or PM me the VIN I can do a CarFax on it.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');