• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe water spot etching - Which products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe water spot etching - Which products?

Have a beautiful car with beautiful color - just paid $250 a month ago to
    have it detailed came back looking great - since then the car was left out
    where my sprinkler system drenched it did not realize that this was a very
    bad thing to do - now water spots etched in finish, glass and plastic - I have
    no idea what our water system contains to cause this kind of damage. I
    hope I will find some answers on this system.

Which products to use?

Re: Severe water spot etching - Which products?

Dont panic, even a good wash and wax might be enough to get your finish back to almost the way it was. Assuming it is a little worse than that, using the *mild* cleaner/wax is probably enough, followed by a NXT-2.0 finish (the cleaner/wax has wax, but the NXT-2.0 polymer protection should help minimize this problem in the future).

If it is truly bad (and I doubt it), then more significant cleaning (swirlX, or even (unlikely) more aggressive scratchX) could be needed - but do not start with these since I doubt you really need anything beyound a good basic cleaning and then good protective wax.

If you do use the cleaner/wax, it has some oils in it but you might (optional) even want to follow it with a nice glaze (#7 or DC2) to give the extra "pop" of deep color depth before the protection wax (NXT-2.0).

Simplest answer, and probably enough, is cleaner/wax+NXT-2.0. More involved answer is swirlX+DC2+NXT-2.0.
    2010 XRS

Comment

Re: Severe water spot etching - Which products?

As well, *dont* give up if the very first wash did not remove all the spots, they are due to minerals condensing out and can sometimes take a rew washes (or UQD spray sessions) to remove them since they are not quick to soften+redisolve+remove. You can also use 50-50 water-vinegar (or Duragloss Water Spot Remover) to help re-disolve them. I would not wax over existing spots, I would give them a wash/clean, and repeat if necessary for 3-4 days. Chances are quite good you can remove them, especially if you did not leave them initially sit for a long time before addressing them (because then they can have time to etch in).

If you really cannot remove them with a couple of wash+cleaner sessions, then you may need a trip back to your detailer to let him use more agressive cleaners.

Let us know how it goes.
      2010 XRS

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');