• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing surface swirl marks from Black 08 Fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing surface swirl marks from Black 08 Fusion

We bought this Fusion in January with just under 11k mi. on it and got an excellent price. It appears as though the original owner (believed to be fleet car) used the good ol foam brush at the car wash and has marred the finish of this car with billions of swirl marks that just stand out horribly, especially at night when headlights shine on it. There all over the body and bumpers. I really want to get this cleaned up today (wifes b-day) and looking sleek and sharp for our day out tomorrow. What can I use? Clay bar perhaps? I'm new to this but want to learn. Would I be better served taking to a detailer? I really don't want to do that. I am a bit intimidated by the thought of buffing myself as I've never done it nor do I own one, or ever even watched anyone do it. Help appreciated!!

Re: Removing surface swirl marks from Black 08 Fusion

Originally posted by Redbirded View Post
    We bought this Fusion in January with just under 11k mi. on it and got an excellent price. It appears as though the original owner (believed to be fleet car) used the good ol foam brush at the car wash and has marred the finish of this car with billions of swirl marks that just stand out horribly, especially at night when headlights shine on it. There all over the body and bumpers. I really want to get this cleaned up today (wifes b-day) and looking sleek and sharp for our day out tomorrow. What can I use? Clay bar perhaps? I'm new to this but want to learn. Would I be better served taking to a detailer? I really don't want to do that. I am a bit intimidated by the thought of buffing myself as I've never done it nor do I own one, or ever even watched anyone do it. Help appreciated!!
    Some good pictures are really necessary to provide you with a reasonable idea of what products and processes would be best suited for your situation. Seeing the condition speaks volumes. Regardless, start with the least abrasive products available and work up. You might start with scratchX, then swirl remover, then to M205 and the more aggressive cleaners. Start by doing a small test section...don't waste your time doing the whole car if what you are doing isn't effectively eliminating the swirls.
    There is some great advice and instruction to be had on this forum. You can do a search for swirl marks and get a huge amount of information that will surely help you a great deal.

Brad
    Brad Mower
    SLC, UT

Comment

I can take some pics right now. I've tried ScratchX but to no avail. Would you recommend washing, clay barring first before trying say the M205 you mentioned? I only did one coat of the ScratchX and I think that the stuff may have been old (sat in the garage for a year through hot and cold temps). Would that effect the quality? I have done some reading on here already. Noticed one post that said the ScratchX has been reformulated. COuld that help? I'll try and post some pics

Comment

Well, the current conditions where I'm at are not going to allow me to take effective pictures. It's too cloudy and actually drizzling out. The swirls really don't stand out unless it's bright and sunny or at night when lights hit it.

Comment

I can take some pics right now. I've tried ScratchX but to no avail. Would you recommend washing, clay barring first before trying say the M205 you mentioned? I only did one coat of the ScratchX and I think that the stuff may have been old (sat in the garage for a year through hot and cold temps). Would that effect the quality? I have done some reading on here already. Noticed one post that said the ScratchX has been reformulated. COuld that help? I'll try and post some pics
          Claying won't remove scratches. It remove containments from the paint so that the polish can do it's work much better. In terms of cutting power Scratch X (if you can still find it) is below Swirl X and Scratch X 2.0 is well above Swirl X and just below Ultimate Compound. If applying by hand you may need 2-3 applications of Scratch X 2.0. If that does not work you may want to step up to Ultimate Compound. But as mentioned, pictures would really help.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly, M205 is a #4 on cutting power which puts it below Scratch X 2.0. I also think it's designed to be applied by machine but it might work by hand. If 2-3 applications of Scratch X 2.0 does not work, I'd step up to Ultimate Compound.

Comment

Trying to get swirls out by hand is an arduous task. I would suggest investing in a good Dual Action Buffer. You will be amazed how much easier car care becomes once you get a buffer. I bought a Griot's Garage buffer about two years ago and I don't know how I got along without it.

Comment

Yeah, I'll get some pics as soon as the weather breaks and we get some sun. Is there a disadvantage to just going ahead and using the Ultimate Compound? I mean, why waste time trying and doing several apps of another product? Is it that the compound is possibly too aggressive? Can I get this at any auto parts store?

Comment

Originally posted by Kornercarver View Post
                  Trying to get swirls out by hand is an arduous task. I would suggest investing in a good Dual Action Buffer. You will be amazed how much easier car care becomes once you get a buffer. I bought a Griot's Garage buffer about two years ago and I don't know how I got along without it.

I would like to do that. As I mentioned though, I'm a novice. What are the risks, if any, of screwing up major? Is there any video tutorials out there you could recommend?

Comment

I would like to do that. As I mentioned though, I'm a novice. What are the risks, if any, of screwing up major? Is there any video tutorials out there you could recommend?
                    A DA (Dual Action) buffer is pretty safe and generally speaking pretty "idiot proof". To cause damage to your paint using a DA buffer you really have to be using very aggressive products and have to actually work hard at the purpose of causing damage.
                    It's this "safe" aspect of a DA buffer that makes them so popular and with widespread use within the amateur/enthusiast community. DA buffers are easy to use and have an easy, fast learning curve.

A ROTARY buffer on the other hand takes a much longer learning curve to get skilled on and except for the most diehard enthusiasts generally is used only by professional detailers and bodyshops.

Popular DA buffers are available from Porter Cable (PC), Meguair's, Griot's, and Flex. Price range will run from approx just over $100 to $300 with the Flex being the most powerful and most expensive - the others are pretty much in the $100-$200 range.
                    You will also need a selection of various buffing pads - both polishing and finishing pads.
                    Many retailers even offer different packages of a buffer with a selection of buffing pads or buffing pads and polishes to get you started.

there is LOTS of information for you, including tutorials on all the different aspects of correct paint care and how to maintain it, including how to use a DA buffer, etc out there, on this site and on others such as AutoGeekonline.net , autopia.org , and even if you just google search.

5 Step Paint Car

Surface Prep

Meguiar's YouTube Channel
                    What am I, fly-paper for morons?

Comment

OK - sounds like it's new tool time for me. I'm guessing a thorough wash, buff, clay bar, wax, in that order? Am I missing anything?

Comment

OK - sounds like it's new tool time for me. I'm guessing a thorough wash, buff, clay bar, wax, in that order? Am I missing anything?
                        correct order is:

1. Wash
                        2. Clay
                        3. polish**
                        4. wax

** Polish in this list basically constitutes any paint correction steps whether they be very mild such as just a paint cleaner, a more aggressive polish such as SwirlX, ScratchX 2.0, M205, a compound such as Ultimate Compound, etc

Claying is always done after washing and before any polishing.

Claying and polishing completely remove any wax or paint sealant you have on your paint surface so you MUST always finish with waxing - whether it be a carnuba type wax such as #26 Yellow Wax or a synthetic paint sealant such as NXT 2.0
                        What am I, fly-paper for morons?

Comment

Sorry I didn't mention. Given that your car already has 11k miles on it, I would certainly use a clay bar on it before trying to remove swirls. Personally, I took a clay bar to my truck when it was brand new. What it removed was incredible especially considering it was new. Your result is always better when you get the contaminants out of the paint first. Without doing this, you stand a good chance of introducing grit that will cause you more problems or less than a great outcome for your efforts.

Brad
                          Brad Mower
                          SLC, UT

Comment

Dang, just got back from Oreilly's with a PerformanceTools buffer and swirlX but no clay. Just got home to read this. Sounds like I really need to clay before buffing. OK. The buffer I bought was only $30. Anyone use this brand. Did I go too cheap?

Comment

Also, do you think I should get Meguiars clay kit with the detail spray and all that or just some clay?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');