• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VW Bora Tuition Detail - Correcting Deep Marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Bora Tuition Detail - Correcting Deep Marks

Another recent detail from our detailing team, Gordon, Davy and myself - a metallic black VW Bora. This was a tuition detail so the owner played a big part in the detailing, learning the processes as we worked through the car, good for a bit of satisfaction at the end of the detail :thumb:

This car was a bit strange... after the washing stage, if you looked at the paint under the Sun Gun, you would not think the paint was in particularly bad condition:

Don't be fooled though! This paintwork was full of random deep scratches (RDS) in the paintwork, essentially very deep swirls which are masked under bright lighting but show up under more subtle strip lighting...

This car was going to need some serious correction to get rid of these marks!

Paintwork Assessment

An important part of any paintwork correction detail is to assess the paintwork. This goes beyond simply seeing what marks are there and how much paint there is at the start - it requires careful assessment of how much paint is removed by different polishing combinations and the level of correction being achieved. This is best done by starting with a light abrasive polishing combination and then working up through the abrasive scale checking removal rates and correction levels as you go...

On this car, a test section on the bonnet was carried out first. The initial polishing combination trialled with Menzerna PO106FA Final Finish on a 3M Yellow polishing pad. Now VW tends to make people think hard paint, so you'd be forgiven for thinking this combo would be about as much use as a chocolate fire guard. But under the Sun Gun, it looks as if it has achieved pretty much full correction!

Of course, it hasn't, as the strip light shows the RDS which are still present...

However the level of correction was impressive given this was a "light polishing" combo, which just goes to show the capabilities of this polish and that sometimes, less is definitely more.

But to get rid of these marks properly, we were going to need more - so keep the same 3M yellow polishing pad but this time move to Menzerna PO85RD3.02 Intensive Polish. We got:

Much better but still not quite perfect.. assessing the paint thickness and seeing 85RD3.02 was removing only 4 - 5um with a regenerative technique, we decided to step up to Fast Cut Plus applied using a Chemical Guys Hexlogic Yellow Compounding pad, Ultrafina SE used in conjunction for additional lube. Meguiars #205 was used as the finishing polish, as is traditional for me .

50/50 showing the effects of the RDS removal:

RDS removed:

and the finish refined...

With the paintwork assessed, we decided upon the following combinations and application techniques:

3M Fast Cut Plus + Ultrafina SE - Fast Correction Technique - For Heavy Mark Removal
    For correction of regions with heavy RDS.
    • Spread at 600rpm
    • Begin working at 1200rpm, light pressure and steady machine movents until the residue is evenly spread
    • Work at 2000rpm, moderate pressure over the head of the rotary and a steady movement pace monitoring the heat of the panel,lightening the pressure towards the end of the set

Menzerna PO85RD3.02 Intensive Polish - Regenerative Technique - General Correction
    For correctioon of regions with general swirls and lighter RDS, Reg. Technique allowed for more correction which minimised the need for Fast Cut and more paint removal on some panels.
    • Spread at 600rpm
    • Begin working at 1200rpm, building a little heat in the panel and getting the wax lubricant to evenly spread - its a bit like warming butter a little to spread it
    • Work at 1800rpm, medium pressure and steady machine movements until the residue goes clear
    • Reduce speed to 1200rpm, light pressure and slow machine movements until the residue "comes back"
    • Increase speed to 1800rpm and work again until residue clear
    • Repeat a two or three times

Meguiars #205 Ultra Finishing Polish - Double Zenith Technique - Finishing
    Refining an finishing stage
    • Spread at 600rpm
    • Begin working at 1200rpm, light pressure and steady machine movements
    • Work at 1500rpm, medium pressure increasing to heavy for majority of the working set and then reduce the light pressure
    • Burnish at 1200rpm, light pressure
    • Refine at 900rpm, supporting the weight of the machine for very light pressure

Before pictures from around the car...

After shots...

Bonnet, RDS removed:

Bonnet under the Sun Gun...

A small note on photogrpahs here... the following pic, I have manually focussed on the image of the Sun Gun bulb (the paint top surface), not the flake is out of focus...

and here the focus is the flake, so the image of the Sun Gun is out of focus as the flake and top layer of paint are at slightly different points...

More afters from around the car...

Headlights were also machine polsihes to restore a little more clairty to the plastic fronts... Before:

and after Intensive Polish:

The tail pipe after Briliant #1 followed by Briliant #2:

The car was protected using Victoria Concours wax. Duragloss 751 was used to clean the glass, RD50 on tyres, FK1000P on wheels, New Look Trim Gel on rubbers and plastics.

After shots, all indoors I'm afraid owing to the late night finish:

I loved the wheels...

More afters...

And just for some fun at the end, tinkering around with lighting for a few more arty reflection shots...

"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Re: VW Bora Tuition Detail - Correcting Deep Marks

Great job. Those rims are sweet on that car.
    Schotography

Comment

Great detail!

The owner needs to remove the S-line badges...

Comment

Great work as usual. That paint pops. Awesome reflections. Great work, way to go.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Car looks great as always! What exactly is a tuition detail?

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
            Car looks great as always! What exactly is a tuition detail?
            Its a detail where the owner plays a part in the detail - so they are around for the whole day, learning the detailing processes as they see them being used on their car and taking part to give them a chance to have a go and learn detailing. We keep scrap panels and cars for things like machine polishing practice, but as they begin to become comfortable, they take part in the correction and refining of their paintwork too - under our watchful eyes.

Its a type of detail I really enjoy doing as there is the satisfaction of working with someone and they get the satisfaction of taking part and seeing the work as their own
            "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Comment

Enjoyed reading your writeups.

BTW, it just caught my eye - what's a double zenith technique and why pair it with the M205?

Dubweiser? Me likey
              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');