• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter detailing?

How does one go about detailing a vehicle in the frigid north between Nov. 1 and April 15.

I have a garage with water available, but i have a limited drain, its basically just a pit that water drains into and just seeps away maybe? Its not connected to any kind of drain system or water/storm pipeline. I can use it to wash a vehicle, but it takes a while for the water to drain back away so i can use again.

Would you guys just continue washing with this type of drain system or what would you do.
    Zach Hall

2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel - DD/Tow rig
    1983 Chevy C10 - Race/Show rig
    1939 Dodge D11 Luxury Liner Deluxe - Antique resto. project

Re: Winter detailing?

As far as washing goes - ONR, QEW or any other type of rinseless wash. Some forum members even use Last Touch added to water as a rinseless wash, as well. I started using ONR this past winter and liked it a lot. I even use it during the rest of the year when I just don't feel like dragging out the hoses or it's raining.

2013 Highlander - black
    2010 TL - black

Comment

Do you have a car wash close by?

Comment

Your best bet would be ONR. I also use it year round.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

shyneman....closest is maybe 1/2 mile away....far to far to be driving a vehicle in the snow/slush/sand/salt
          Zach Hall

Comment

Well, I definately dont get to wash as often.... but if its above freezing, I can get it squeezed in outside. Hopefully you get a few warmer days... otherwise ONR seems like an option.

Hopefully UQW works just as well in the cold.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Get the "big stuff" off at the coin-op. Then head home and finish with ONR or QEW (my preference). I live in Nebraska and it is almost as cold as Mason City.

Tom

Comment

almost as cold....not sure about that weve seen morning sub 20 deg. already!
                Zach Hall

Comment

Hey Zach,

There have been a number of threads posted to MOL on that topic over the years and truth is, winter detailing can certainly be done, but it is not fun! There was an excellent thread on here but I can not seem to find it...I will keep looking.

Here are a few different threads to take a look at...

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Zach,

Back to your original post. I'd not mess with a regular wash in a garage that has a pit rather than a drain. You should be just fine with QEW or ONR. Although these products when used carefully can tackle some pretty tough stuff, I prefer not to use them until I am working with a dirty, but not muddy surface. A google search for these two products will give you lots of advice.

When the temperature is above freezing. I head for the coin-op to wash my truck. I use both the wash and rinse cycle at the coin-op and then "shag a--" for home without drying my truck. Then I do a QEW wash in my garage. Maybe follow that with Ultimate Quick Detailer.

I detail all of my toys in late October using NXT 2.0 on the exterior. When we have a "heat wave" in late winter, I try to apply a coat of ColorX. I like to use ColorX because it is about the best one-step cleaner wax available. It removes both road grime and minor marring. That usually gets me through until spring when I go back to thoroughly polishing the truck with a good Meguiar's polish and apply NXT again.

Oh, so far we have only seen lows in the mid-20's, but that will change darn soon. By the way, right now it is 52 degrees in Mason City

Tom

Comment

I've just put 2 coats of 16 on my cars and rigs at work. They only detailing I'll be doing untill mid March will be going thru the touchless car wash and drying. I'll do more with my rigs since they're garaged, they'll be my crash test dummies for when I get the 2010 products.
                      For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                        Zach,

Back to your original post. I'd not mess with a regular wash in a garage that has a pit rather than a drain. You should be just fine with QEW or ONR. Although these products when used carefully can tackle some pretty tough stuff, I prefer not to use them until I am working with a dirty, but not muddy surface. A google search for these two products will give you lots of advice.

When the temperature is above freezing. I head for the coin-op to wash my truck. I use both the wash and rinse cycle at the coin-op and then "shag a--" for home without drying my truck. Then I do a QEW wash in my garage. Maybe follow that with Ultimate Quick Detailer.

I detail all of my toys in late October using NXT 2.0 on the exterior. When we have a "heat wave" in late winter, I try to apply a coat of ColorX. I like to use ColorX because it is about the best one-step cleaner wax available. It removes both road grime and minor marring. That usually gets me through until spring when I go back to thoroughly polishing the truck with a good Meguiar's polish and apply NXT again.

Oh, so far we have only seen lows in the mid-20's, but that will change darn soon. By the way, right now it is 52 degrees in Mason City

Tom
                        not anymore its not especially with the dang wind!!
                        Zach Hall

Comment

Since ONR is mixed with water, how cold does it have to get before it becomes pointless?

I would think if the temps are below freezing as they are most of the winter here in MInnesota, that it would just freeze before you could get it wiped off...

Most of those coin operated car washes have hot water in the winter months and the bays usually will be warmer than the outside temps. Would not using the ONR in the car wash bay after you sprayed be better than at home?
                          2019 Ford F-150 XLT SPORT 4X4 Ecoboost

Comment

I mix ONR with warm water in the winter and have had no problems using it that way. Keeps your hands from freezing for a few seconds too.

Comment

There are some good points in this thread. I have a few items to add.

When to wash: A lot of people wash when it gets warmers, which is good, but the roads are usually sloppy afterward. I actually prefer to go to my local coin-op a few days after a snowfall and when there might be a cold streak for a few days without additional snow (but knowing I'm going home to a warm garage, see below). This makes the wash I just did last longer.

Proper Environment: Doing everything at the coin-op is fine, but remember to bring your two bucket and do your regular hand wash at the coin-op with YOUR mitt or brush. At my parents house they have a wood-burning stove so the garage would get up to 80 degrees or so a wax in the winter was feasable for me.

Remember what you've done: That fall detail is key. Knowing you have a good coat of wax will help you cope with your car being blasted by salt, sand, stupid anti-ice mixes that squirt at you on bridges and other things that you wouldn't dream of doing to your car.

Also, I don't think the distance to your coin-op should be a deterring factor. If you go at night, not many people are there washing their cars. Plus if you time it right on a day where roads are dry, driving back to you garage shouldn't be an issue.

I also use a Wide Body Brush to wash my car in the winter to do it quicker and not use the coin-op brush.

Happy cold detailing!!!!!
                              "Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Jay-Z

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');