• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QUESTION: Wet Sanded.. what NEXT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUESTION: Wet Sanded.. what NEXT?

Hey Guys,

I'm new here, glad to have joined!

I've got a question.. I've got a 1995 BMW M3 that I'm going to detail this weekend. It does need a light wet sand. I'm thinking about hitting it lightly with 2000 grit. Afterward, what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking a buffing compound, a polish, and a wax? What kind of pads do you recommend?

Thanks!

Re: QUESTION: Wet Sanded.. what NEXT?

Hi,

First let me say welcome to MOL!

How much experience do you have wet sanding? Are you experienced using a rotary buffer? Just want to know if wet sanding would be prudent for you. Check out this thread.

Things to keep in mind when getting started with wet sanding

Andy M.
    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I've done a bit of wet sanding here and there but I'm no professional..

Comment

I've read quite a bit about the 105 - 205 combo. Would it be wise to start here or with a Heavy/Medium Cut Compound and 205 Polish? Of course finishing either method by MANY coats of wax..

Comment

I would really suggest doing some practice on a few junk panels before diving in and tackling your car. It's much less stressful to strike through on a scrap panel than your M3.

The M105 / M205 combo is great for a few reasons. First, M105 is great for removing those sanding marks. It also leaves a decent finish for a compound. M205 finishes very well, but still has enough cutting power to remove the inevitable holograms after using a wool pad. M01 and M04 work well, but I would take advantage of the new technology.

Products I would suggest:
          - A few Solo Heavy Cut wool pads
          - Some W8207 pads
          - W68 and W68DA plates
          - M205 and M105

Some things to keep in mind:
          - Keep the speed low when starting out
          - Use a quality wet sanding paper - Unigrit is fantastic
          - You will most likely need that wool pad to remove the 2000 grit marks

Why do you need to apply many coats of wax? Two coats is great and three is plenty.
          Chris
          Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

PorscheGuy997-

Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it! I dug-in today and accomplished quite a bit. Although the wool pad did cut out the scratches left behind by the 2000 Unigrit, the 205 Polish seemed to have left some swirls.

Any advice? Is this usual?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');