• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Mobile Detailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Mobile Detailers

Hey,

I'm new to this forum as well as detailing in general and I had a question for all you mobile detailers:

Where do you guys detail the cars during bright and sunny or rainy days?

I mean, basically every step must be done out of direct sunlight and if you're traveling to see your client, you don't necessarily have a garage/covered area to work under. Plus, it also doesn't make sense for a business to stop just because of the weather, even if it's just a side/weekend job. If I get good at detailing, maybe a side job as a weekend detailer could be in my horizon, so just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
    Black Obsidian

Re: Question for Mobile Detailers

Comment

what clearlycoated posted... they work wonders! try working on a car for 6 hrs under direct sunlight... not fun on a sunny day. and they are portable and take all but 1 minute to set up and take down..
      also if your lucky enough and have a customers garage to work in its always great too!
      - Markito -

Comment

check out Northern tools they have a wide variety of them!

Comment

Gotcha, I figured it might be something like that. What about windy days, doesn't that thing fall over or anything? Plus I'd be scared one of those poles would scratch the car if it gets blown over or something!

Ok...this is a really noob question, I'm kind of embarrassed to even ask... what's that tent looking thing called..? And how much could I get one for?

Thanks!
          2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
          Black Obsidian

Comment

nvm, I found it. Canopies!

What size canopy is usually good for car detailing? I may get one for myself as it's sunny a lot here and I don't always have time to detail late afternoon.
            2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
            Black Obsidian

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch34 View Post
              Gotcha, I figured it might be something like that. What about windy days, doesn't that thing fall over or anything? Plus I'd be scared one of those poles would scratch the car if it gets blown over or something!

Ok...this is a really noob question, I'm kind of embarrassed to even ask... what's that tent looking thing called..? And how much could I get one for?

Thanks!
              Most popular size is probably 12'x12', but sometimes a 10'x10' is more convenient if space is limited.

You can buy a set of anchor plates to hold down the legs on windy days. I bought my anchor plates at Pep Boys.

As for the legs scratching the sides of the car, I cover mine with styrofoam pool noodles which you can find at 99 cent stores. Just cut lengthwise down the middle of the pool noodle and slip over the leg of the canopy.

Comment

Pool noodles?! hahaha That's creative! lol Kool, thanks for the info!
                2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                Black Obsidian

Comment

Your best bet is the portable canopy. Easy to set up and take down. Even if you just detail at home not a pro, they are a big help.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Yea, I love the sunny days but I hate having to wait till late afternoon to work on my car! These last few days I've been wanting to do nothing but detail my car cuz it's SO dirty right now and it's killing me!! I just haven't had the time yet cuz I work late afternoon into the evening when it's completely dark outside. *sigh*

BTW, I just searched these portable canopies and they're quite expensive!! A LOT more then I was expecting!! I understand that to start a business you gotta spend some money first, but if it's just for me at home, I dunno if I can spend that much JUST for a portable canopy! I've been seeing these things for as much as $250-$300! Is that pretty average for one of these? If not, please send me a link or direct me to someplace where I can get one for a cheaper price! I think I want to get a 12x12..
                    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                    Black Obsidian

Comment

Do these canopies work even when it's raining? I mean, rain doesn't necessarily fall straight down, sometimes it comes at angles.

Can anyone tell me their experience of detailing (wash, wax, paint correction, interior, etc) while it's raining?
                      2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                      Black Obsidian

Comment

bump!

2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
                        Black Obsidian

Comment

i have a 12x12 , i think the weights was 25$ , the canopy was on sale and i have an extra coupon 10off or 10$off something like that at pepboys ...total 89$ , regular is around 130-140.
                          it helps for example u can work one half (front/rear half or side half) in shade , depends where the sun is , also a canopy is good when in an area with falling leaves
                          proreflection
                          *Ceramic Coating * Protection Film * Car Wrap * Paint Correction

Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');