Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs

          
  1. #11
    Rasky's Auto Detailing RaskyR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,920
    Rep Power
    201

    Re: Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs

    Mike do you know if the Velcro on these disks is the same as the 3M? I already have the 3M interface pads and just wanted to know if it will work with the Megs disk or if I have to order the Megs interface as well.


    Thanks,
    Rasky

  2. #12
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    1140

    Re: Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs

    Rasky, as long as you have 3M's "Hookit" system and not their "Hookit II" system you'll be fine. Their "Hookit" backing plate is a bit harder than ours, too, just so you know.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  3. #13
    Rasky's Auto Detailing RaskyR1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,920
    Rep Power
    201

    Re: Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Rasky, as long as you have 3M's "Hookit" system and not their "Hookit II" system you'll be fine. Their "Hookit" backing plate is a bit harder than ours, too, just so you know.

    Looks like I have another order to place....



    Thanks Mike!

  4. #14
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Rasky, as long as you have 3M's "Hookit" system and not their "Hookit II" system you'll be fine. Their "Hookit" backing plate is a bit harder than ours, too, just so you know.
    I better be asking the most qualified. When we use such discs, what pressure do we put on the panel? Is the weight of the polisher sufficient? I use the Flex DA. Many thanks.

  5. #15
    Sr. Global Product & Training Spec Michael Stoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    21,405
    Rep Power
    1140

    Re: Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by Keefe View Post
    I better be asking the most qualified. When we use such discs, what pressure do we put on the panel? Is the weight of the polisher sufficient? I use the Flex DA. Many thanks.
    Downward pressure should be no more than the weight of the machine itself - you are simply guiding the tool and letting the sanding or finishing disc do it's job. Pressure causes the abrasive disc to cut too fast and too deep. Very light but uniform pressure coupled with smooth and relatively fast passes will yield a very refined and predictable sanding scratch that will be easy to buff out, and it will also prolong the life of the disc. In fact, when done properly, a single 3000 grit foam backed finishing disc can be used for defect correction on an entire full sized car, perhaps more.
    Michael Stoops
    Senior Global Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Inc.

    Remember, this hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need therapy.

  6. #16
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Ungrit Sanding Discs & Finishing Discs

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Downward pressure should be no more than the weight of the machine itself - you are simply guiding the tool and letting the sanding or finishing disc do it's job. Pressure causes the abrasive disc to cut too fast and too deep. Very light but uniform pressure coupled with smooth and relatively fast passes will yield a very refined and predictable sanding scratch that will be easy to buff out, and it will also prolong the life of the disc. In fact, when done properly, a single 3000 grit foam backed finishing disc can be used for defect correction on an entire full sized car, perhaps more.
    Thanks so much! And the reply is QUICK!! Hmm... guess the hardest thing now is to maintain that kind of pressure on the vertical panels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Meguiars #205 - The Ultimate Finishing Polish? My Thoughts
    By Kickin Griffin in forum Professional Line - Product Reviews
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Aug 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
  2. Single Stage Paint Wet Sanding Finishing
    By Zaboss in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
  3. color sanding and all that good stuff by hand
    By tomsteve in forum Sanding Automotive Paint - Hand/Machine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Oct 6th, 2008, 09:43 AM
  4. Cyclo with sanding discs?
    By oldmodman in forum Sanding Automotive Paint - Hand/Machine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 6th, 2008, 03:49 PM
  5. 6" Hook and Loop Uni-Grit sanding discs
    By detailbarn in forum New Product Suggestions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 1st, 2004, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •