• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dewalt dual action buffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt dual action buffer?

First of all, hello everybody, I'm relatively new to the forums and have been lurking around the forums for a while learning all sorts of information! I'm also proud to say that I've turned in to a Meguiar's fanatic. I now have a ton of Meguiar's car supplies. Thank you to all who have contributed to this forum to make it so great.

Anyway, on the the question. I was at a local car wash last week with my dad getting his car washed (don't ask me why he didn't just have me wash it for him) and they had a detail garage deal goin on and you could watch through some glass windows. Besides the god awful technique i observed them using, i noticed that they were using a yellow colored dual action polisher that was shaped like a PC but it was yellow like the dewalt color. Can anyone help me to identify what this polisher might have been?

And i am shopping around for a polisher at the moment and was wondering if i was to go to any of those detail type places (whether it be a car wash or a dealership) do they ever sell any of their old buffers for cheap?

thanks for all your help guys

Re: Dewalt dual action buffer?

?

Comment

nope, it was shaped like a porter cable 7424 and it was yellow. I had never seen it before

Comment

It is the Dewalt DW443. It is quite the powerhouse and an excellent tool. However, the backing plate is quite large and IIRC, you can not change the backing plate to another size.

Some people have used them with great success. However, the ability to change backing plates on the other DA's like the G110 etc is extremely convenient...

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
          It is the Dewalt DW443. It is quite the powerhouse and an excellent tool. However, the backing plate is quite large and IIRC, you can not change the backing plate to another size.
          From what I read, the Dewalt 443 is a orbital polisher, not a DA. Could have been this and the OP thought it was a DA or is using that term generically.

OP, was the part around the pad yellow and the handle black? Or the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
            From what I read, the Dewalt 443 is a orbital polisher, not a DA. Could have been this and the OP thought it was a DA or is using that term generically.

OP, was the part around the pad yellow and the handle black? Or the other way around.

Yes it is a random orbital and so is the PC, G100, G110 etc as they too are not technically a true DA. But as far as I am aware the DW443 is the only orbital that Dewalt makes suitable for paint polishing unless you are aware of another one??? Besides reading about it, have you seen one or used the Dewalt? I actually owned one briefly and returned it as I have many G100's, G110's and PC's and 3 rotaries so I really did not need another tool....

OP: Perhaps do a google search with DW443 and see if it is the one you saw....

Tim

Comment

DW443 but on 220v.
              Learning new things everyday

Comment

Oh man... brings back a lot of good memories.
                My DW443 died on me a year ago and our local service center is charging me more than what I originally paid for to have it repaired. I had no choice but to give it up and get a new machine.

Comment

that would be the one! thanks guys. but how come you never hear of them? Are they discontinued?

Comment

Originally posted by Bdawg393 View Post
                    that would be the one! thanks guys. but how come you never hear of them? Are they discontinued?
                    I thought so!

Dewalt still shows it on their website so it should still be available...

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim, Just had to replace the Brushes and cord on my G110 after only 5 months of at least 3-4 days a week of use. Just wanted to get your opinion and see what kind of maintence you've experinced with your polisher's.

Comment

You may want to start your own thread instead of jumping onto a thread which has ran it's course.
                        -Kyle

Comment

I know it's been over a year, but do you still have your dead DW443 random orbit sander? I'd be interested in it.

Originally posted by eric_son View Post
                          Oh man... brings back a lot of good memories.
                          My DW443 died on me a year ago and our local service center is charging me more than what I originally paid for to have it repaired. I had no choice but to give it up and get a new machine.

Comment

it looks like my Makita that was designed to be used as a wood sander and I too have played curious George and threw a pad and polish on it and my Makita does oscillate and rotate with more power than my Megs unit .. as what has been said it does have a fixed pad ... booo

Comment

The DW443 is primarily for wood sanding. It has a smaller orbit size, 3/16th, like the Makita unit I believe. My experience = the DW443 can be good for fine polishing and wax application, but not as good with defect removal as the taller stroke machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');