• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lug Nut Cleaning - Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug Nut Cleaning - Suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions about cleaning around lug nuts? Not necessarily the lug nuts themselves, but the rim part near the lug nuts. I usually take the rims off the car to clean around the lug nuts good, but I was looking for something to use in between the times that I remove the wheels. I noticed ADS offered the SM Arnold Lug Nut Brush, but I don't know of anyone that has used it before. Any other suggestions or tools out there?

Re: Lug Nut Cleaning - Suggestions?

While I'm not sure of the brand, I use a brush quite similar to that.
    It works pretty good, but I do replace it quite often.
    The inside bristles tend to mat down after using it for some time.
    I can't say how much use since I just replace it when I start to feel uncomfortable with it. That might not be necessary, though.
    I have read about a lug cleaner that uses replaceable foam scrubbers, but I also remember a user saying it didn't always fit the lug opening in the wheel.

Something I do that I think helps, I use a (Discontinued) Meguiar's body brush and push the bristles into the lug opening.
    I haven't tried a paint brush, but it might work, too.
    I do use paint brushes to clean around door hinge areas with good results. I wrap the metal sleeve with some plastic tape in case it gets in contact with the painted area. There again, that might not be necessary.
    Charles
    The Rainmaker

Comment

I've often used a Q-tip or a thin piece of cloth inserted via a wooden fondue skewer. Necessity is the.......
      "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research would it? (Albert Einstein 1879-1955)
      BOB

Comment

Boar hair brush. Just let the product dwell for a few seconds, agitate with the brush and rinse.
        Alex C.

Comment

I usually just use my wheel brush. The bristles will go in and clean the lugnuts. I make a point to brush each lugnut thoroughly during each wash so they don't get dirty in the first place.
          -HealthyCivic
          Check out the glossary

Comment

Originally posted by Black150 View Post
            Boar hair brush. Just let the product dwell for a few seconds, agitate with the brush and rinse.
            I do the same thing.
            James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
            Calais Auto Detailing
            CalaisDetails@aim.com
            www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Thats what I use, works perfect on getting in there and you can buy one with a drill attachment and really power through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black150 View Post
                x2. This is what I do. Works great for me.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

I just use my Swissvax wheel brush.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                    http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...utbrushes.html

Thats what I use, works perfect on getting in there and you can buy one with a drill attachment and really power through it.
                    Seems a little pricey, but they might be worth it.
                    Hey, it's for the vehicles,right?

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                    I just use my Swissvax wheel brush.
                    For some reason the name Swissvax makes me think the wheel brush you use is not cheap.

FWIW, I have always stayed away from "wheel brushes" since they seemed to be much more stiff than the body brushes. All of my wheels are either painted or powder coated. The Meg's Body Brush works good for most wheel areas and I don't worry about damaging the wheel finish.
                    The Boar's hair brush would be a good choice for me, but the price of good ones keeps me away from them.
                    Charles
                    The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by john m. View Post
                      http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...utbrushes.html

I use something similar to this that I got from Harbor Freight but only cost a few dollars. It works by the same principle in that the foam fits around the lug not and agitates/cleans around the lug nut. I have been using it for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
                        The Boar's hair brush would be a good choice for me, but the price of good ones keeps me away from them.
                        My two Meguiar's Gold Class slide locks brushes only cost me ~$6.
                        James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                        Calais Auto Detailing
                        CalaisDetails@aim.com
                        www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Here is an outstanding lug nut cleaner. It says it is for Corvettes but it does a great job on my 350Z.

Recessed Wheel Lug Nut Cleaning & Polishing Brush - Clean your wheel's lug nuts in seconds! The Recessed Wheel Lug Nut Cleaning & Polishing Brush allows you to clean recessed lug nuts with minimal effort. The lug nut brush fits over and surrounds ...

Comment

I have the one above. Use it on the Vette and also an Acura TL and a Silverado. Works great. Suggest you order the extra foam inserts at the same time. I think when I ordered mine it was like $5 more for 10 extra inserts.

Comment

Great! That gives me some ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');