• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand de-greaser used to clean tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand de-greaser used to clean tires?

Have you guys ever tried this? I heard the industrial hand cleaner that you can get in little bottles that has pumice that removes oils from your hands does a good job at de-greasing tires. Is this truth or garbage?

A Pontiac is a Chevy with better trim.

Re: Hand de-greaser used to clean tires?

u mean hand cleaners like fast orange and gojo ? i dont know how well it would work but its not worth it to spend money on that to clean ur tires..works great on hands but dont spend money on it to clean ur tires...to get the greasiness off my tires i use any household degreaser like 409 and stuff
    Addicted

Comment

Probably would work.

I would just buy a jug of APC.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I usually just use Super Degreaser on tires, seems to clean better than APC. More gunk seems to roll off too when using SD compared to APC IMO.

Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
          I usually just use Super Degreaser on tires, seems to clean better than APC. More gunk seems to roll off too when using SD compared to APC IMO.

Nick, you are the wheel and tire MAN!
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

WoW! Where did all of that come from?!? I use apc on my wheels and it does a lot more than I would have expected. I've never tried super degreaser though!
            A Pontiac is a Chevy with better trim.

Comment

Originally posted by paudashlake View Post
              WoW! Where did all of that come from?!?
              All that brown gunk came off the tire, and all that ran off before I even agitated the tire with a tire brush.
              Nick
              815-954-0773

Comment

I use Westley's Bleche-Wite, at ~$4/bottle you reall can't go wrong. With a good scrubbing it makes even the most funk covered tire look beautifully clean.
                James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                Calais Auto Detailing
                CalaisDetails@aim.com
                www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Calais View Post
                  I use Westley's Bleche-Wite, at ~$4/bottle you reall can't go wrong. With a good scrubbing it makes even the most funk covered tire look beautifully clean.
                  Is it available in a gallon size and can it be diluted?
                  Nick
                  815-954-0773

Comment

They sell 64oz'ers for $6.50; dillutable or not, that is a great price!
                    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
                    Calais Auto Detailing
                    CalaisDetails@aim.com
                    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

I still question if people should be so aggressive in removing everything off of a tire. Where is all of this junk coming from and why is it sticking to the tire? Perhaps from over treating the tire to start with?

Tire flex and this releases anti-ozonants onto the sidewalls in order to protect the tire. I'm sure harsh cleaning removes this protective layer. Now I'm guessing the tire treatments add some ozone protection back to the tire but how much and is this better then just keeping the tire clean?

http://www.conti-online.com/generato..._ozone_en.html

Comment

The junk is coming from build up tire shine products. Gels are a major offender of this, since they're thicker and stick on longer, and some people layer tire gels instead of cleaning them with a brush. They think that simply taking a wash cloth or mitt over the tires to get the dirt off is good enough. While getting the dirt off may work, the gel is still on the tire. And some products have silicone in them, which turns rubber brown over time, hence the brown running off of Tuck91's tires.
                        -Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by ziggo99 View Post
                          The junk is coming from build up tire shine products. Gels are a major offender of this, since they're thicker and stick on longer, and some people layer tire gels instead of cleaning them with a brush. They think that simply taking a wash cloth or mitt over the tires to get the dirt off is good enough. While getting the dirt off may work, the gel is still on the tire. And some products have silicone in them, which turns rubber brown over time, hence the brown running off of Tuck91's tires.
                          i see i see..

thanks
                          Ganesa,
                          Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Originally posted by ziggo99 View Post

Morning,

When a tire turns brown, it is called "blooming" in which case the anti-ozone additives start to wick to the surface of the rubber. Dressings etc will make a tire dirty as they will attract dirt and hold it there making a goo slurry, but the actual browning is from these anti-ozone additives.

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Lingor View Post
                              Morning,

When a tire turns brown, it is called "blooming" in which case the anti-ozone additives start to wick to the surface of the rubber. Dressings etc will make a tire dirty as they will attract dirt and hold it there making a goo slurry, but the actual browning is from these anti-ozone additives.
                              Which goes to my comment. I question is all of this built in protection should be aggressively removed. Yes, if detailing a vehicle the tires should be cleaned/treated so that they look nice but should their be a compromise between cleaning the tire and dressing it? Do treatments pretty much take the place of these anti-ozone additives? So much so that it does not matter if they are removed?

What I do, and I'm not saying its correct, is to clean the tire with car wash. If it's very dirty I'll spray it down with 7:1 APC, brush is lightly, and then hose it off. I'll either use 301 or Supreme Shine as a dressing. One reason I like SS is that the sprayer just sends a light mist. 2-3 sprays and I move it around with a foam applicator. As mentioned, I stay away from gels and the like as I feel they just gunk up the tire. I've also never had an issue with "sling" as everyone comments on. I think this is because I tend to use very little product on the tire.

Just a few thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');