• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots?

We would appreciate your feedback, comments and suggestions on the topic or washing your car.

Thank you for participating in our poll!

Question 2

You can select more than one answer in this poll

What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots when washing and drying your vehicle? (select all that apply)
    Use a water filter
    9.54%
    Wash only in the morning or in the evening, never when the sun is out
    25.82%
    Use another chemical product after you are done washing to remove spots
    8.88%
    Use a special car wash meant to reduce hard water spots
    9.54%
    Wash car in the shade and dry it off quickly
    46.22%
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Gee Mike: kinda make use of all the techniques you listed LOL you should have "all of the above"
    Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Washing one's car in direct sun is begging for water spots.

Another thing I do is wash, rinse, and dry the car in sections and this really cuts down on water spots.

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Does using compressed air to blow water out of the cracks count too?
        Later,
        Ricky

For great Meguiar's deals I use
        Auto Detailing Solutions

Comment

That counts, and it's a great idea. I'll bet it really helps avoiding that drip, drip, drip.................

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

To add to my vote opinion, I personally don't like the idea of using chemicals that "sheet" water off. The Mr Clean thing is something I like for trips, but I'd never use it at home. What the heck is that stuff that it leaves behind on my paint? It weirds me out.

Plus, I want car wash to do one thing really well: remove dirt from my car in the safest possible way, and minimize the impact on wax. That's why I like #00 so much, and why I step up to stronger stuff like Gold Class on the dirtier cars.

I still sometimes use the garden sprayer with distilled water, but usually I just QD the car after a wash to remove any residual spotting. Plus, this adds some extra gloss to the car.
            1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
            2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
            1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Mike

I have soft water in my house. It also goes to the water outlet where I wash the cars.....so I always have soft water to avoid water spots.
              -Bob
              NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

I use a hose type water filter

12" In-line filter (0 TDS)(Reference #30)

12" in-line De-ioniser purifies tap water to zero parts per million. Water at this level of purity will give super spot free results when washing vehicles. The blue coloured mixed bed resin media inside the cartridge changes colour to brown to signal when the media is exhausted. In hard water areas it will be necessary to run a green in-line filter prior to the blue filter in order to prolong filter life. Caution if you use this filter on its own in a hard water area you may get as few as 5 washes before the filter becomes exhausted, if used in combination with a 30tds green filter up to 30 washes can be expected in hard water areas and up to 90 washes in softer water areas.

~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

I us a company that supplies me with tanks/filters that turns my tap water into "ultra-pure" water. The service cost me about $66 a month.

Here is something I just bought to top off my holding tank while on the road - www.spotfreewash.com

It works pretty good.
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Hey Mike,
                    I use a double filtration water system in my detailing setup. It filters minerals to a purity level of 0.01 microns. The cars here are always done indoors so that helps a great deal
                    "Detailing is as much an art as it is a science"
                    www.autodetailer.co

Comment

SS,

Mannnn... I just love your sig!
                      "Detailing is as much an art as it is a science"
                      www.autodetailer.co

Comment

After I dry my car with cotton towels, I use a leaf blower on the car. All the water in the nicks and cranies is blown away. I am able to avoid water spots with this technique.

Comment

Well!

I use DI water that is heated and that is the anwerser to a lot of water spots. I use a vinegar water solution for chrome and windows. I use the #9 or #80 with the rotary if the water spots are bad and ont he paint, otherwise I will use the water vinegar soution and put a goo wax like #20. I use the Auqa dry to dry the car.
                          JB's Executive Detailing "Protecting your investment"

Comment

Originally posted by macdude
                            SS,

Mannnn... I just love your sig!

Thanks!
                            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

all of the above and a couple I'm ashamed to admit to.
                              2019 GMC Sierra
                              1500 AT4

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');