• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my solution, if you want the car air dries itself with NO water spots, this is the same principle the Mr. Clean thingy works on but these are MUCH better.

Leo

Comment

Leo,

I recently purchased one of those but I didn't really get a chance to experiment with it yet but soon will as a brand new CLK straight off the port will be joining the family.

I received excellent customer service from that company. When there was an issue with the cap of the filter I first received it was corrected right away.
      my product collection-- New !
      My Detailing Credo
      Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

At about 4.5 euros ($5.65) per wash (based on neededing both filters for 30 washes), that's extremely pricey. Also, I tried resin bead based filtration that promised lower TDS and it didn't help at all on my 415ppm TDS water.

Originally posted by TOGWT
        I use a hose type water filter

12" In-line filter (0 TDS)(Reference #30)

12" in-line De-ioniser purifies tap water to zero parts per million. Water at this level of purity will give super spot free results when washing vehicles. The blue coloured mixed bed resin media inside the cartridge changes colour to brown to signal when the media is exhausted. In hard water areas it will be necessary to run a green in-line filter prior to the blue filter in order to prolong filter life. Caution if you use this filter on its own in a hard water area you may get as few as 5 washes before the filter becomes exhausted, if used in combination with a 30tds green filter up to 30 washes can be expected in hard water areas and up to 90 washes in softer water areas.

http://shop.ionicsystems.com/htdocs/...ystems_53.html

Comment

My marine results may be different, but on the docks, all we get is well water. And here in the capital of hard water, Jacksonville/St .Augustine, FL, my options are limited. I'll wash the boats as normal, chamois them off, and then hit the whole boat with #69 Aerosol Quick Wax. No water spots as of yet! Even if we do get them, the Quick Wax gets rid of them.

I can't emphasize enough how much I love that stuff.

Last edited by VanityDetailing; Jun 2, 2005, 06:15 AM.
          Vanity
          Automotive and Marine Detailing
          "Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat's shine, that's Vanity."

Comment

Originally posted by VanityYachtDetailing
            . And here in the capital of hard water, Jacksonville/St .Augustine, FL......
            I live close by and can relate. As for washing cars during the day time, if you try it, you will be very sorry. Seems like you'd have to do it at dawn or after sunset.

I purchased a de-ionizing cartridge and in line filter for my hose, will be trying that. If it does the job, ought to be less complicated and expensive than something like a CRSpotless set up.

QDing while drying, I still have the former Final Detail for it, is a routine part of my regimen.
            my product collection-- New !
            My Detailing Credo
            Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

How long has the Quik Wax been on the market? I have never seen it locally. Is a liquid (like #50 or Flagship) required for a base before using this?

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

But what if you can't dry it ???

I don't see washing a car as troublesome as having it rain and then having the rain dry on your car....many times that happens and you just can't get out to dry it off....result?, ugly water spots !!...I find I get water spots that way and never from washing the car...if you can dry it off, you shouldn't get water spots from washing....so, now the question is what do you do after it rains ???
                Bill Poirier
                West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

i try to wash in the shade and dry as fast as i can. with the texas heat its hard to find a good time to wash when its not to warm/hot esp in the texas summers. for that reason shade works the best. i do try to wash in the mornings and evenings also.

Comment

I'm not exactly sure what to select. I have a water softener and use soft water to wash with. Even if it dries before I can dry it off the few spots left behind wipe right off.

Mike
                    Extreme Clean Auto Detailing
                    ...taking auto detailing to the Extreme!

Comment

A long time ago I bought a bottle of gold class wax, and it had a vidio packaged with it on car care. One little tip that I got from it is that when you are ready for the final rinse. Do not spray the car. Instead turn the water to a low stream, and starting at the top letting it flow creating a sheeting action. I do the top, then hood, then bumper, then working down one side until I get to the trunk, then back bumper, and down the final side. This rinse action doesn't let the water bead as much. So fewer spots, and takes less time, and fewer MF towels to dry.
                      If I do have any spots I will hit it with QD. That is why I voted other product to remove spots. Hope this helps.
                      The Fox

Comment

I've got a whole house softener with well water, the system still leaves plenty of minerals, so I usea all of the methods shown. Megs branf filter would be great.

Comment

Re: What method(s) have you used in the past to combat hard water spots?

My vote was: Wash car in the shade and dry it off quickly. I some times will park my car WAY in the back yard and connect my teo long hoses together just for shade. I then quickly knock off the bulk of the water with my Cali Blade then towel dry.

Comment

I have used the other brands of water filters/soap in the dispenser and they always seemed to leave a film, along with the water spots.
                            I now use the 2 bucket system, grit guards, and NXT wash, followed by drying.
                            Last month I won a raffle with a different brand of car wash and decided to try it on my company car to see if there was a difference in the way I wash now or is the the car wash product itself.
                            I have been teaching my kids on how to detail, at least the little amount that I know, and we went through our normal routine: 2 buckets, early evening, no direct sunlight, dry off.
                            Worked on some other cleaning tasks and cam back to see....water spots all over!
                            I used to be convinced that it was the way I used to wash, which some was, and the hard water that I have.
                            It turned out to be the car wash.
                            We waited a couple of days and did the same test, same time and weather conditions. The NXT wash produced no spotting.
                            I will never use another product.....unless I don't like the person...

Comment

I wash in the shade only and then use a combination of leaf blower and enough microfiber cloths to enable me to dry the car quickly. The leaf blower is good for blowing the majority of the water from the large upper surfaces and also from the tight areas with nameplates that can't be reached with a squeege. It can also get most of the water from out of the body panel openings so that there will be less time waiting for the drips to stop. I finish off with microfiber cloths. Good Tip: But a towel wringer and attach it to a bucket or strong plastic box. Put clean rinse water in the container with just a little bit of car wash to rinse and soak your cloths as you finish using them. Run them through the wringer and hang up to dry. I used tio hand wring but it was hard on the towels and not good for arthritic joints of the hands.

Comment

I try to get the drying done as quickly as I can,sometimes with help of another person.

On the black car,it's noticable. On my civic which is met.blue,it's hardly noticable,but they are obviously there just the same.

I like the hose attatchments,but find they are too expensive.The harder the water,the quicker they will become exhausted.I'd go through too many to make it economically viable.

I think my answer is to get a water magnet or a bigger chamois.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');