• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you concerned about hard water spots when washing and drying your vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The actual chemical composition of water is HOH. All acids have H or Hydrogen as one of the components. This is the composition of Acids. Remember that I said a VERY mild acid. I have spent Thousands of dollars replacing metal parts on pressure washers that have become useless due to hydrogen embrittlement. This is caused by the loose hydrogen particle searching for some metal to attach itself to, and gradually eating up the metal that comes in contact with it.

As for distilled water being the purest form of water, again you are mistaken.
    Remember the old Andy Griffith movies where they would go bust up the still, or distiller? Remember the liquid that would come dripping out, and they called it moonshine?
    The distilling process takes out all of the stuff that has a hard physical property, but if it has a liquid property, it can stay in teh water. That is what gives moonshine, and any other distilled liquor, it's kick.

Comment

As for the DI water only pulling the anions or cations out, my system,a nd most of the systems that I have seen pull both cation and anion particles out. Some of them do it oone type of particle at a time, usually Cation first, then anion, and then some are mixed bed systems, where they two resins in the tank work together to pull out the particles.

Interestingly, if you ever go into a regeneration facility to see how the resins are processed for reuse, it is interesting, because one type of particle is more of a base, and acid is used to clean the resins, and the other is more of an acid, so NaOH or sodium hydroxide is used to clean the resin.

If you want to go to this link, you will see that water for the most part is mildly acidic

Comment

Originally posted by AZScooter
        The actual chemical composition of water is HOH. All acids have H or Hydrogen as one of the components. This is the composition of Acids. Remember that I said a VERY mild acid. I have spent Thousands of dollars replacing metal parts on pressure washers that have become useless due to hydrogen embrittlement. This is caused by the loose hydrogen particle searching for some metal to attach itself to, and gradually eating up the metal that comes in contact with it.

As for distilled water being the purest form of water, again you are mistaken.
        Remember the old Andy Griffith movies where they would go bust up the still, or distiller? Remember the liquid that would come dripping out, and they called it moonshine?
        The distilling process takes out all of the stuff that has a hard physical property, but if it has a liquid property, it can stay in teh water. That is what gives moonshine, and any other distilled liquor, it's kick.
        I don't want to get in a big debate about it. But yes, acids are extra H+ ions in the water, as bases are extra OH- ones. However, in pure water, there would be a pair of each of these, and it would have a neutral pH. That link shows that streams and rain tend to be acidic. That's not pure water. I certainly never said water can't be acidic or basic, the pH scale in fact only applies to water. Here is a link that is a bit more informative: http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/~acarpi/NSC/7-ph.htm

As for the Andy Griffiths reference, they were busting up water distilleries? What kinds of liquids are you saying there are in water? And everything has a liquid state. What it would really need is to have a boiling point at or less than that of water so it would evaporate and then get condendsed along with the water. What things in water do this?
        Last edited by Aurora40; Dec 8, 2004, 08:20 AM.
        1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
        2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
        1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

No, they were distilling liquor, but in order to get the liquor they were using water as a medium, just like all liquors do.

I will still stand by my thing that water is mildly acidic, and that DI water is also mildly acidic. I guess theoretically, perfect water is pH neutral, but I have never seen it, and it has a tendency to be more acidic than basic.

Comment

Back on topic, I've never had a problem with water spots from washing my car. After washing and rinsing, I use a silicone blade to squegee most of the water off the car and finish with a towel.

Comment

In short, yes. I HATE water spots.

Comment

Thank goodness we live around soft water.

I've studied water quality a little due to my aquarium hobby.

I think I remember reading that (Absolutely) pure water would kill you if you drank it.......Something about it corroding the iron in your body.

Interesting thread, BTW.
                r. b.

Comment

When researching drinking distilled water I've read over and over how standing distilled water will absorb carbon dioxide (I think?) from the air and turn acidic in a short time, and this is why it should be capped and put in the fridge.

Drinking pure water causing corrosion of iron in your body is so ridiculous I can't believe you would even bring it up. THere's a debate over whether it removes needed minerals from the body or simply removes EXCESS minerals from the body. THat's another advantage of washing with pure water, it'll actually wash away MORE contamination than tapwater will, as well as not leaving anything behind. It's similar to using a dirty cloth to clean your car VS a clean cloth, the clean one picks up more dirt. I'm not talking about dirt though, but smaller particles, minerals, chemicals, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SchwarzenSchafe
                    Drinking pure water causing corrosion of iron in your body is so ridiculous I can't believe you would even bring it up.
                    If I remember correctly, that report was made by a noted marine biologist.......I will try to look for the info......I'm sure it's around here somewhere.
                    r. b.

Comment

I'd definately be interested in reading that. I've found there's a lot of misinformation about drinking distilled water and virtually no studies are ever done on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SchwarzenSchafe
                        Drinking pure water causing corrosion of iron in your body is so ridiculous I can't believe you would even bring it up.
                        Let's try to be a little nicer to our fellow forum members, he may be wrong and he may be right, but he's definitely not out to misinform anyone.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                          Let's try to be a little nicer to our fellow forum members, he may be wrong and he may be right, but he's definitely not out to misinform anyone.
                          I could not agree more with Mike's statement. Opinions are just that, opinions. RB was expressing his opinion on what he read/heard. It is not appropriate to say that his comment is ridiculous. You may disagree, but that can be done in a tasteful and respectful manner.

MOL is known for its friendly, and helpful tone. And, it will be kept that way!

Tim
                          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Just a follow-up here.......

I haven't had much time to search for the article, but I wasn't exactly referring to ordinary distilled water here.

I will post the article when I locate it.
                            r. b.

Comment

WAY BACK...
                              I also looked in to this corrosive, acidic 'reading' of DI water. My water guy (who has owned his water service company for around thirty years) said that in order to get a pH 7.0 reading from purified water, it must be tested BEFORE ambient air is introduced. He said that the carbon in the air mixes with the water and causes the pH to immediately shift.

To get the actual pH 7.0 reading, one must have the pH sensor in the water line immediately after processing has occurred.
                              Kevin Brown
                              NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

hard water spots... or water spots period are the things i fight with the most.

i was considering buying a mr. clean autodry JUST for the filtered spot-free rinse.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');