• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep power gone wild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rep power gone wild?

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
    Note to self: I need to add REP to the person that listed that cool step ladder that Lowes was selling over this last weekend!!! $22 for a $90 step ladder..... SCORE!!!
    +1
    My local Lowes was sold out of them and the next nearest store was 30 miles south of me. I called and asked them to hold one for me while grousing internally how a 60 mile round trip and two gallons of gas were going to make this great bargain a little less great.

Then I remembered that Home Depot price-matches Lowes! But even for a Black Friday item? Couldn't hurt to find out. I took the ad to my local Home Depot 4 miles from my house. Not only did they match it, they beat it by 10%!

Comment

I gave some rep points and i know they shot up a lot!
      Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

I'm not sure the rep system is completely worthless, because it does show that at least some people are making notable contributions to the forum. However, I think it gets ridiculous when somebody gets a whole bunch of extra rep just because they had a little "ah-ha!" moment. Save it for the guy who took a grossed-out work truck or soccer mom van and made it look like new, or for the guy who took the swirled out car and made it look showroom perfect. That's where it should really go. But I will agree that it has gotten rather out of hand as of late.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
          Save it for the guy who took a grossed-out work truck or soccer mom van and made it look like new, or for the guy who took the swirled out car and made it look showroom perfect. That's where it should really go. But I will agree that it has gotten rather out of hand as of late.
          I agree with that.

I still say turn it off, or drain everyone back down to zero???
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

and here i am, with only 3
            A Pontiac is a Chevy with better trim.

Comment

Frank (SHYNEMAN123) has "repped" me twice in recent weeks and I'm up around the 900 mark. Only 100 short of my total number of posts. While I appreciate somoene taking the time to "approve / rep" my posts, I agree the numbers are out of hand.

I'm pretty sure if one of the Mike's repped me, I'd jump into the 1500 range. It appears to be based on the number of reps the "repper" has tied to their account.
              NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

It appears that reputation given from someone with high reputation gives more reputation to that someone than from someone else with less reputation.

And yes, I did try to phrase that as less confusing as possible. I think I failed.

Comment

So, I just jumped from 19 rep points, to 1,790 because two people gave me a thumbs up.

That's pretty funny. But I think it's broken. Two people adding to someones rep should not equal 885.5 points each.

Comment

I know these images are popular here:

BEFORE:

AFTER!!!!

FYI, looks like only 1 of the people that gave me rep on my before/after had 17714 rep points, the other only had 2. So all of my points came from him, likely.

Essentially, I gained 1771 points from someone with 17714 points. Apparently the system has been modified to give rep points in the amount of 10% of your own. You do the math.

( Furthermore... while editing this post my "submit" button says "Vote now"... which I actually couldn't edit anyway so I had to make a new reply)

Comment

Shane
                      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Rut-Row! Indeed... The Rep point system is misaligned. Just needs to be toned down to a lower percentage or just turned off?

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                        FYI, looks like only 1 of the people that gave me rep on my before/after had 17714 rep points, the other only had 2. So all of my points came from him, likely.

Essentially, I gained 1771 points from someone with 17714 points. Apparently the system has been modified to give rep points in the amount of 10% of your own. You do the math.

Comment

Rep Power.....

I think it's a good idea to a point.

I don't think it's something that is "abused" like spam unless one is just giving rep points for "washing one's car".

I give rep points for reviews, show off's, extreme make overs etc. my sole purpose of giving rep points is that I think that the writer did something over and beyond a lay person to help educate them in using Meguiar's products and techniques used.

I think people like Kevin Brown, Joe, Nick, Shyneman123, KC, Tuck et al give great writeups and educate people on using products. I give kudo's to the pro's who actually help us with our products, because ultimately, if they show us how they use their products, techniques etc, then they could take business away from themselves as the person learns how to polish their cars and not need their services. Like getting free advise from a plumber to plumb their house.

I think there should be criteria for giving rep points.

Was this article useful for you? / why?
                          Did this article help you in using Meguiar's products? / how?
                          Did this article answer any questions you have for Meguiar's products? / how?

I appreciate any and all rep points I get as my level of expertise is far below 99.9% of everyone here as I'm just a novice, I've polished 3 cars for cash in my pocket and thought I did a good job. I enjoy doing my cars and think I have the shiniest 5 and 10 year old cars in my area and I always look back and admire my work and others seem to think our cars are pretty shiny. My arsenal of Meguiar's products far exceed most of anyone I know and I am proud to use them. I don't wander out of my expertise with using products unless I refer to many articles written and understand them prior to putting them to use. I guess I hold my own and our cars are pretty swirl free to a point then I break out the stuff and go to work.

"That's all I got to say about that" - Forrest Gump.

L8R
                          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

I also think the rep system has merit. I also believe the number of points should be turned down.

Maybe regardless of the reason for giving someone rep, the number of points should be limited to 5.

I also believe that if someone posts a informative post, explains the steps involved, and helps enlighten someone, the original poster should be recognized for their contributions to the forum.

That is all for now.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Morning,

While the Rep system does have its merits, it can also be very misleading. For some of the new members, they may erroneously assume that a higher rep count automatically means more experience, which is in some cases, is not accurate. So while some may feel it is harmless, I fear that it could harm others especially if one takes advice on wet sanding for example from someone with a high rep only to discover that they themselves have only wet sanded one or two panels and have extremely minimal actual experience. In other words, some are keyboard commandos or armchair bandits whose posts read like they have experience when they themselves have never even tried a product or method etc.

There is nothing wrong with members thanking other members for their contributions as we all know how long some of these write-ups can take to create and post. But to some, the rep system is like posting meaningless posts just to run up their post count as some again falsely equate higher post counts with knowledge which again is incorrect. Do not get me wrong, some of the people with high counts, like Frank (Shyneman) are very talented detailers who deserve the kudos they receive. However, there are others who do not.

I would rather see it turned off as to me, if you like something someone has posted, SAY SO, in a post in that thread. That way everyone gets to see it....

Just IMHO.

Tim
                              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

For what it's worth, vBulletin software comes with the Rep Points feature and it can be tweaked from the Admin panel for different settings. When I worked here on the MOL forum I enabled it and in hindsight that was probably a mistake for the reasons Tim outlined above. At the time I thought it would add value to the forum community.

I personally never base anyone's answer to a question on the Rep Points but by the quality of the answer itself.

(Now if someone will just give me some Rep Point for my post!)

Mike Phillips
                                760-515-0444
                                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');