• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Honda VFR- paint correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Honda VFR- paint correction

I started off in the Motorcycle area of MOL. I didn't get a lot of responses, but did get some great advice.

I recently purchased a 2001 Honda VFR motorcycle. It's a sport-touring bike; 800cc, V4, gear-driven cams, etc... Think of it as a sport bike for the over-30 crowd. And through an aftermaket exhaust, it has an engine sound to die for...

This bike has just over 26K miles on the odo, and has typical wear and tear for a 10-year-old machine.

Once the bike was safely in my garage, I quickly went through a bar of clay to see what I had to work with. It looks like the VFR had a zero mph tip-over at some point in its life, but you really have to get close to even see the evidence.

Here are some shots of the bike freshly-clayed and cleaned.

From the pictures, it looks pretty good. But as you get closer, some things jump out at you- the previous owner removed all of the "warning" stickers in an unsavory fashion- lots of nicks and scrapes. The fuel tank shows signs of a scratchy tank bag. The rear cowling also displays some wear, probably from tying things to the back of the seat.

Again, not deal-breaker stuff, but I knew it could look better.

I used the following- Meguiars Scratch X, Megs #7 Show Car Glaze and topped it with Megs #26 Yellow Wax. Being a motorcycle, I did everything by hand.

I am stunned at the results. Almost everything came out, and the paint just pops with color- Honda Italian Red. I wish I had taken some before images, but I didn't think it would make enough of a difference.

The bike is no museum piece, but she looks pretty stunning. Thanks MOL!

Re: 2001 Honda VFR- paint correction

Originally posted by OnlyVees View Post

I recently purchased a 2001 Honda VFR motorcycle. It's a sport-touring bike; 800cc, V4, gear-driven cams, etc... Think of it as a sport bike for the over-30 crowd. And through an aftermaket exhaust, it has an engine sound to die for...

This bike is a close cousin to the 1983 VF750 Interceptor. Your bike is also known as an "Interceptor".

In 1983 Honda introduced the VF750 Interceptor, a radically innovative bike that set the trend for modern sportbikes.

The Honda VF750 Interceptor pretty much set the stage for the modern sportbike

The V-Four engine was very prominent in Honda's early 1980s model line-up, with engine capacities ranging from 400cc to 1000cc. The V-Four design had only been used a few times in the history of motorcycles.

The earliest VF series engine was designated the V45 for its size (45 in or 748 cc), was very narrow being only 16 inches (406 mm) wide, and had perfect primary balance making for a smooth, nearly vibration-free engine. A smaller V30 (500 cc) engine and a larger V65 (1100 cc) engine were also available, the latter becoming known as the fastest production bike in its time, and the original competition for the famous Yamaha VMax.

Comment

"she looks pretty stunning."

+1

Comment

nice details on two lovely ride

my all time favourite
        it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

The bike looks great. Hard to believe she is 10 years old. Great work.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');