• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Application of wax. Hand or Polisher?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Application of wax. Hand or Polisher?

Is there any benefit to using the 220 to apply wax? Or is the same result acheived putting it on by hand?

Re: Application of wax. Hand or Polisher?

A layer of wax/sealant is very, very thin. In order to conserve product, I use a small, round foam applicator. A foam pad (for an orbital) would absorb a lot of product. Being the tightwad that I am, (Ebenezer Scrooge here) I don't like to waste product, so I apply wax by hand.

Comment

For the application of wax the DA is probably the best tool for the job. Doing it by hand can be fun sometimes and many people prefer to do it that way and that's fine.

Applying and removing wax using a DA is a lot easier and faster, you also have the benefit of applying a "very thin" even coat, which is exactly what you need. By doing it by hand you have more chances of missing a spot.

Go to post 2 in the following thread, Mike makes some comments that relate to your question:

2008 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4.7L V8

Comment

Wow, reading the other thread I have to disagree with one point. Applying by hand is WAY faster. I mean like 3X faster than using the polisher. The reason I asked this question is I was wondering if using the polisher was worthwhile since you are using so much extra product and time. Being a detailer speed is important as long as you are still generating an outstanding result.

You can be fast, you can be good... but a true pro is both.

So, by what I've been reading, applying by hand will acheive perfectly good results, and by the opinion of some, better results because of less chance of swirlmarks.

Thanks, sounds like applying by hand will be faster and easier for us. The same way we have been applying it for the past five years to over 200 cars a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Expertcarpetcare View Post
          Wow, reading the other thread I have to disagree with one point. Applying by hand is WAY faster. I mean like 3X faster than using the polisher. The reason I asked this question is I was wondering if using the polisher was worthwhile since you are using so much extra product and time. Being a detailer speed is important as long as you are still generating an outstanding result.

You can be fast, you can be good... but a true pro is both.

So, by what I've been reading, applying by hand will acheive perfectly good results, and by the opinion of some, better results because of less chance of swirlmarks.

Thanks, sounds like applying by hand will be faster and easier for us. The same way we have been applying it for the past five years to over 200 cars a year.
          If you are planning to ONLY apply wax, and NOTHING else, doing it by hand is faster.

By using a polisher you have to mask some parts of the car, so when I bring out the polisher it usually means I'm gonna do a big job on the car.

I only use the polisher if I plan on polishing, applying glaze, and waxing.

The only con about waxing by hand is that you might get uneven layers whereas a polisher evenly spreads the wax.

Oh and I totally agree with what you say when it comes to applying wax, but when it comes to paint correction, doing it by hand is VERY hard. ( etc removing swirl marks over the entire car. )
          Especially on hard paints I doubt you can do paint correction by hand.

Comment

You asked if there was any benefit by using a DA and was the same result achieved as doing it by hand. I think you can get a much more even application of a thin layer using a DA.

Sometimes I just enjoy doing my LSP by hand, a "man in his element" type of thing, but I don't find doing it by hand saves me any time because I tend to keep going over the same area since I want to make sure I have a thorough application. With the DA, I know that as long as I load my pad with the appropriate amount of product, I'll get an even, thin application and, consequently, don't find myself feeling I need to overlap as much. I also don't think I use any more product than I would by hand because I apply less and less product to the pad as I go along, due the residual build-up of product in the pad. I've also never experienced any swirls applying an LSP with a DA.

Just my 2 cents...
            2013 Highlander - black
            2010 TL - black

Comment

I find it hard to lay down a thin coat of wax by hand. Using a DA solves that problem for me. I also find the DA quicker and less effort.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I use this applicator (The red side - Ultimate German App.) to apply very thin coat, it works and saves time for me!

Skoda Roomster

Comment

I tried to apply wax with my G100 and it was cumbersome for me. I do use the G100 to apply M66 (cleaner wax) for my final polishing step (Thanks Tuck!) then apply my regular waxes/sealents by hand.

It's what you like. Try it out and see how you like it.

I think a benefit would be a more uniform spreading of the wax.....
                  Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Regardless of application by hand or DA, has anyone removed wax/sealer with a MF bonnet on a DA? Quicker? I have a bonnet ordered... thinking if I apply sealer to whole car and then remove with it, I might save some time and maybe even get a better result.
                    "The Dude Abides"

Comment

You could us a PC, or other orbital type polisher/machine to remove wax. I like to remove the initial cured layer by hand with a MF, then go over it by spraying some distilled water/instant detailer (about 50-50 mix) with a fresh, clean MF bonnet with the PC.

Comment

I like using the da to apply and remove the wax. For me it insures a smooth thin coat is applied. For removal, it just seems to me to be the faster way of doing it.

If removing wax by da, you will need more then one bonnet. They are usually reversable. So at the minimum you will need 2. After a 1/4 of the vehicle is done flip bonnet to the other side. When halfway done go to a second bonnet. At the 3/4 mark flip to the other side. But the larger the vehicle the more bonnets you will need.
                        quality creates its own demand

Comment

We have been talking about this in my other thread "got to use my 220" I dont know how to link threads here.

I have since learned that applying with the 110 (not the 220 as I originally posted here)
                          Puts on a much thinner, more even coat, which dries faster, comes off easier, and doesnt leave any streaks, a flawless job every time and it is faster too.

Here is putting on by hand. You cant help but put it on much too heavy. It takes forever to dry and just about kills your arm by the time you rub it off. Not to mention takes longer, and wastes a ton of product.

Here is how I do it now with the DA. Less product, faster, easier to remove and no streaks. I'll never go back. I love my 110.

Comment

Soft cloths is what i prefer for application and removal.
                            It takes time and allows a uniform coat.I tried to apply straigh from my hand it did a mess.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');