• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Snow Removal

Originally posted by speed3blackmica View Post
    To Mike and all MOL members,

Can Optimun No Rinse be used as a regular car wash ? i live in NJ and the weather gets pretty cold here in the winter, i am forced to shut off the water lines going to my outdoor hose as they freeze if they are still on and i will run into trouble with pipes bursting..(its happened many many years ago, learned my lesson)..so in the winter, i am forced to make my car to the coin operated car wash..i have to bring my own buckets..its a dollar to fill up to 2 buckets with 3 gallons of water each..and then 6 dollars to use the hose..its 3 bucks for 5 minutes, but its never enough time for me..i need 10 minutes so i end up having to pay 6 bucks for 10 minutes, plus 1 dollar for 2 buckets filled with water...its effective and works very well..but 7 bucks is too much..yes i am complaining about 7 bucks. since i wash about once a week. money is tight right now. although in 3 months, ill have my hose working again..i need to find a more suitable way to wash my car...i have seen mark kleis's video with the rinseless wash using last touch, but it was stated that method should only be used for a mild dirty car (dusty, a little dirty)..can ONR be used as a regular wash ? if so, its my perfect substitute for having no water for the winter...or is it a method like last touch ? and i basically can only use ONR if the car isnt too dirty...? if thats the case..i will wash with ONR before the car gets too dirty..i just need to know the facts before i buy it. and i appreciate everyones input very much. Thank you.
    bro you will loooove ONR, i am also in NJ and deal with the same annoyances as you, lots of people use ONR in the summer time as well bc you can wash directly in the sun! it is worth buying! fill up 2 buckets with HOT water at ur house and get to work in your backyard! very easy and no need to go to the coin up.

i might go to the coin up on days where the truck has A LOT of road salt on it.
    www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

A leaf blower works pretty well on the powdery stuff - not so much when it's a heavy, wet snow.

Driving behind people that don't remove any snow and ice from their cars irritates me to no end when it's constantly blowing onto my truck.

I was able to get both of my vehicles washed, clayed, polished, and waxed over the last couple of weeks and just in time for winter. We're getting a mix of rain, sleet, and a few inches snow tonight and tomorrow just in time for temps to drop to single digits for a few days. It can't warm up soon enough for me to get the salt washed off. I'm going to need to get some ONR for this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamps View Post
        bro you will loooove ONR, i am also in NJ and deal with the same annoyances as you, lots of people use ONR in the summer time as well bc you can wash directly in the sun! it is worth buying! fill up 2 buckets with HOT water at ur house and get to work in your backyard! very easy and no need to go to the coin up.

i might go to the coin up on days where the truck has A LOT of road salt on it.

nice nice..i live in bergen county too..so im sure you understand how the salt issue is here..they salt everywhere !!! thank you for the info..you've convinced me enough to buy a gallon of ONR. however, more comments are appreciated as i could use as much info as i can. thanks again
        Addicted

Comment

no prob! i see you are in woodridge, its like 5 miles away from me in teaneck

onr is great def buy a gallon, check out autopia for ONR lots and lots of threads there about it
          www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

Regarding ONR, check out: The Definitive Thread. Six months ago here on MOL I described My ONR Process.

Tires and wheel wells are a challenge with ONR. Check out Bill Luster's method.

Here are some helpful videos:

If your car gets really dirty and caked with salt, you may wish to make a visit to the coin-op first and rinse off the crud first and then return home and do an ONR wash.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

great info Al!!! its like deja vu huh? lolol
              www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

I wish I had known about ONR when I lived up in New Jersey (Union County and Bergen County)! My S2K took a beating from the car washes during the winter.
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

In MA, I avoid all the snow brushes as they have hard plastic bristles that will mar the paint. I have a foam snow blade that I like to use to get most of it off. I also,as mentioned previously, try to leave about an inch or so on top of the paint to melt/blow off on its own. But unless you have a garage the ice and snow damage are unavoidable and I just plan on repairing the in the spring.

Comment

its warmed up to 38 today so i guess i'll be doing an onr wash today after work... i love using hot water lol
                    www.JEEPGARAGE.org

Comment

I usually leave the snow blow off my car (I know, not too nice to do). This weekend we got so much snow, I just couldn't do that. So I took my clean microfiber wash mitt and put it over the snow brush effectively covering all the plastic brisltes. That took care of the plastic bristles causing scratches. It was cold enough that the fluffy snow came off easily and in the end the wash mitt was still dry and still looked clean (I'll obviously be washing it anyway).

Funny thing is I usually just use the mitt as a sponge (not putting my hand inside). This is the first time I've found a use for the "mitt" concept.

Comment

Hi guys

I live in Montreal Canada. Last winter we got around 400 cm (175 inches) of snow, so taking it off the car is not optional. I'm looking for a way that will not damage the car but... I guess that's why meg sells great products so that I can clean up the car every spring.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');