• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to learn the steps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to learn the steps.

I tried doing a floor mat on the cheap a few days ago and it did not turn out as well as I thought it would have. I know my tools are not the best, but I couldn't afford the good stuff this time, being Christmas and all. I settled for some Prestone carpet cleaner from work, a semi stiff brush, and a vacuum at the local wash. I vacuumed the car out, and the mat. I applied the prestone and let it soak for about 45 seconds. I then proceeded to scrub the mat. Moved onto blotting it with a MEGS fiber rag, and then re-vacuum. The mat was STILL wet 3 or 4 hours later and it did not get the OBVIOUS difference you guys get with black interior. It did not lift out the heavily dirty center of the mat where my foot normally rests and sees the most action.

Is it too cold outside?
    Was my process a bit off?
    Just my low quality cleaner?

This spring when I do my full on wheels off, 100% detail, I am taking my seats out and hitting the whole car. I obviously need to improve my process.

Any help is appreciated! I was going to take before and afters but my camera died on me. Thousand dollar camera and I still have the crappy stock battery
    My automotive related blog! http://hereishowiviewthings.blogspot.com/

Re: Trying to learn the steps.

thats interesting...while i do not use those carpet cleaners with the stiff bristles on the cap, i have before though....i used Blue Coral and i had to scrub really really good to get the dirt out...Now i use APC + with a cold water extractor...the exractor was my mom's and she didnt need it anymore so it was given to me...its a plain old bissel (not expensive) but it gets the job done..however i think i know a process that may help you out...

get a brush like this...

put the floor matt against a wall and let it sit up against the wall vertically..i know most of the coin operateed car washes have the clamp to hold your matts on..and then soak your matt, and then scrub and brush good using the brush i showed you in the link...this process along with this brushes lifts the dirt up from the nap and allows it to fall to the ground and off your floor matt...i hope this helps..if this process doesnt work, then i think it is time to try a different carpet cleaner
    Addicted

Comment

I am totally on board with getting a good brush and some APC for sure after seeing everybody else's pictures using the good stuff.

Assuming I had a good brush and some APC I would

1. Spray APC, let sit for 1 minute or less
      2. Work APC into carpet with good brush
      3. extract using good vacuum and/or extractor

Sound right?

Comment

Originally posted by 1970judge View Post
        I am totally on board with getting a good brush and some APC for sure after seeing everybody else's pictures using the good stuff.

Assuming I had a good brush and some APC I would

1. Spray APC, let sit for 1 minute or less
        2. Work APC into carpet with good brush
        3. extract using good vacuum and/or extractor

Sound right?
        yes thats perfect..those are my exact steps...literally

APC is 14 dollars for a gallon on ADS

the brush is 4 bucks

get a bottle and trigger sprayer and your set

with APC, cleaning floor matts is a breeze..but you got the steps down now
        Addicted

Comment

Originally posted by speed3blackmica View Post
          yes thats perfect..those are my exact steps...literally

APC is 14 dollars for a gallon on ADS

the brush is 4 bucks

get a bottle and trigger sprayer and your set

with APC, cleaning floor matts is a breeze..but you got the steps down now
          That is what I need to know! Thanks! I am looking into the bissell -autocar proheat model. Also I am a smoker but plan to kick the habit, for new years. I should apply odor elminator AFTER the process is done correct?

Comment

Originally posted by 1970judge View Post
            That is what I need to know! Thanks! I am looking into the bissell -autocar proheat model. Also I am a smoker but plan to kick the habit, for new years. I should apply odor elminator AFTER the process is done correct?

if you use APC, then you wont need to apply Odor eliminator to the floor matts at least

since you said that you are a smoker, and you really want the smell gone, i would suggest spraying a little odor eliminator to the seats (if they are cloth) and on the headliner...and naturally you could spray some on the floor matts and floorboard carpet if the smell isnt gone from them..

i like odor eliminator a lot..
            Addicted

Comment

Thanks, lots of great info!

Comment

no problem...floor matt cleaning is very simple and quick..just need the right tools and product to get it done quickly...you really dont even need the extractor..however it is a nice machine
                Addicted

Comment

APC is definately good for everything around the house, wont be a waste of money.

If you know what stains are in the carpet, like grease perhaps, APC+ does have a bit of a degreaser in it.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of the cleaner/brush/vac method for floormats, there can be way too much dirt sometimes. My suggestion is to run back to the car wash, I'm assuming it's a coin op, and use the pressure washer to wash out the mats. The PW is going to act like an extractor on steroids, forcing water deep into the carpet and lifting all the dirt out. I think you will be amazed at the amount of dirt that comes out of the driver mat, even after you did your cleaning.

When you wash don't add anymore chemical, there is still plenty there from the last application (another reason I don't like that method). Just spray it down till the water runs clean, hang up to drip dry, then wet vac the excess water out.

Comment

Originally posted by StadiumDetail View Post
                      I've never been a huge fan of the cleaner/brush/vac method for floormats, there can be way too much dirt sometimes. My suggestion is to run back to the car wash, I'm assuming it's a coin op, and use the pressure washer to wash out the mats. The PW is going to act like an extractor on steroids, forcing water deep into the carpet and lifting all the dirt out. I think you will be amazed at the amount of dirt that comes out of the driver mat, even after you did your cleaning.

When you wash don't add anymore chemical, there is still plenty there from the last application (another reason I don't like that method). Just spray it down till the water runs clean, hang up to drip dry, then wet vac the excess water out.
                      That kind of scares me, power washing my carpet floor mats.

Comment

On the smoker part, change your cabin air filter. That will make a world of difference since it's probably full of tobacco-ness.
                        -Kyle

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');