• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car dealer repairing "road rash" on used Honda before delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dealer repairing "road rash" on used Honda before delivery

I just got a call from the used car dealer that the two year old Accord we are interested in is being re-painted due to the discovery of "road rash". I have yet to see the car. We are buying from a very large, national, one-price, dealer that we have had good experiences in the past.

Should I be leary or grateful that they are addressing this?

What should I look for when I take it for a test drive?

Am I concerned over nothing?

As always... Thanks in advance for everyone's guidance.

I guess worse case I can always correct it with my G-110 DA.
    Rob A.
    '09 Kia Optima (Bronze Metallic)
    '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Re: Car dealer repairing "road rash" on used Honda before delivery

I would be leary. No dealer would be spending money on issue that is minor. Thus issue is likely to be major or work will be done as cheap as possible or both.

Have you seen car before this? If not I would very likely walk away.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I've only see pictures of the car on the internet. This "no hassle" dealer posts a series of 32 pictures of almost every car on their Web site. Since we asked for the transfer the car was removed from the site (as is their customary practice).

Your point about why the dealer would spend more money is well taken. This has been a very frustrating experience with a dealer we have come to have some confidence in.
      Rob A.
      '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Is the entire car being repainted?

Comment

Not the entire car. The salesman reported that the front would be re-painted.
          Rob A.
          '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX88 View Post
            Personally, I wouldn't buy it. Dealerships *generally* use cheap repair methods that will not last.

If you plan on keeping it more than a year or two, I would keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX88 View Post
              Any non-original paintwork on a car affects its value. Personally, I would avoid a late model car with that much paintwork. That said, generally any Honda of any vintage is hot merchandise. If you are considering the purchase of this car, and using the given that the body panels were resurfaced properly, color match would be of the utmost importance, particularly metallic colors. Although there is excellent computer paint matching technology out there.

To address some of the other comments in this thread:

1. If this is from a "big box store," i.e. CarMax, AutoNation, etc., usually they provide a quality product;
              2. Their sub-contracted body & paint shops can ill afford to give them sloppy work, lest they lose the business;
              3. Many times a car will get listed for sale before it is ready and the car may have initially passed scrutiny of the paint and then someone caught it;
              4. Decent used cars are currently in shorter supply than usual. That supply comes from trades on new cars and new car sales are not what they were. In any event, the biggest supplier of used Hondas is Honda themselves: Honda Financial, the factory's leasing/finance arm;
              5. It would seem exceedingly naive for a car salesperson to tell a prospective customer that a car in inventory is going to the paint shop. Wouldn't the prospect think, "Hey, what a minute, you guys sell painted up cars?" or "Road rash? Yeah, right!" The fact is the big box stores don't pay their staff a lot and hence don't have professional sharks managing or selling; a refreshing change from the norm.

It is still buyer beware. To repair this problem, prior to painting the nicks and chips that make up the "road rash" will all have to be sanded out; down to the primer in some places. Try and get several viewing angles of the paint in the sun and shade to check color match. Carefully examine the panels for straightness, previous body work and/or sanding marks that weren't taken out. Is that the only Accord they have? Otherwise look at several to compare body panel fit and finish.

Comment

See how extensive the damage really is. Get a carfax, take it to a independant body shop and see if the repairs were done correctly. If you are satisfied, buy the car. If not walk away.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

You guys are great. We tend to keep atleast one car for a very long time. Thanks for the help and your time. MOL RAWKS!
                  Rob A.
                  '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

I would not worry about this paint issue initially. I would suggest a test drive and evalaution. If you like what you see and are serious about the car, the dealer will usually let you make arrangements to take it some where for a pre purchase inspection.

We bought a used CRV about 2 years ago and we paid about $125 or so at Honda to have the same inspection they give to used to cars before they will sell them as certified used Hondas. They should be able to check everything out and tell you about any issues with the car.

In my mind, I'd rather spend $150 to avoid a several thousand dollar mistake or to give me the piece of mind that I'm not making a costly mistake.

I wouldn't let the fact that they might be doing a little touch up on the paint become a deal breaker without first looking at the car, especailly on a Honda. A well maintained Honda will last many, many years beyond the payoff date. My wife bought a 93 Civic in 98 and was the second owner on it. It had been well maintained and was still very reliable when I totaled it earlier this year.

Comment

I would guess by now it is too late to see what was going on, for some reason dealer was in a rush to repaint.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoranC View Post
                        I would guess by now it is too late to see what was going on, for some reason dealer was in a rush to repaint.
                        From my experience in the auto resale industry, dealers do not want inventory sitting that needs work.

For one, though usually in the back lot somewhere, it looks bad if seen by a prospect.

Second, it's money tied up in an unsalable inventory item, it would be bad money management to let it sit a second longer than necessary without starting the recon process. The well know rush to sell before the end of the month also exists throughout the back end of the dealership, buying, repairing and reconditioning.

In this case, it may have been the salesperson speaking to soon about the car, which happens too often, more so when cars are in shorter supply.

Comment

Thank you EVERYONE for chiming in.

We decided to purchase (a took delivery today) of a second Kia Optima a 2009 with 22k miles. Vast improvement over the 1997 Cavalier we sold privately.
                          Rob A.
                          '07 Kia Optima (Gold)

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
                            From my experience in the auto resale industry, dealers do not want inventory sitting that needs work.

For one, though usually in the back lot somewhere, it looks bad if seen by a prospect.

Second, it's money tied up in an unsalable inventory item ...
                            Exactly my point, that everything indicates dealer felt item would be unsellable if seen in current condition and that it needs recon pronto if dealer wants to sell it.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');