• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire Cleaner Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tire Cleaner Research

Hmm, I haven't really made a habit of cleaning them other than with a damp paper towel. Yes, I know that is major FAIL but it works, well, ok I guess...

Now that I have wash mitts that have aged I will probably start using them as my grubby tire cleaners. As far as cleaning them and applying dressing right away, I rarely do that.

I find it a PITA to dry tires which is why I usually wipe the tires down and apply dressing before I wash the cars so I won't have to wait until the next day to do it.

In addition in my case that allows me to wash my wheels off after I have applied dressing. This is more of a habit left over from when I used to use the spray foams which would inevitably overspray or run onto my wheels. Since they are white wheels they would grab grime like crazy even if I did wash them afterwards. Just drove a few miles and bam they were pretty gross looking, and only after using foams too. Didn't matter which brand.

Now that I have graduated to the Gold Class Gel stuff, that is not so much a problem. I bought one of those nice foam tire dressing applicators. Works well on my smooth looking Neogens. On my old Kuhmos that had that "ribbed" texture on the sidewalls that I hate, using a foam made it easier to get into the "cracks" if you will. My mom's stock tires also have that texture so it takes more work to work the gel in uniformly. Well that and they are 255/55 as opposed to my 225/45's :p.

Still, I love the gel now that I have it since it doesn't run. I have to use it sparingly though since I prefer a slightly more natural look. Our local Porsche dealer slathers that stuff on so thick it looks like the cars are rolling on glazed donuts.

Comment

95% percent of the time i dress my tires after cleaning them. If i am in a hurry i use NXT Insane Tire Shine Spray( trigger) or Hot Shine Tire Spray ( aerosol or foam). If i am taking my time and not in a hurry i apply a nice coat of GC Endurance High Gloss. But if something comes up and i need to drive somewhere or take care of something then i just let them be and end up not dressing them. I think dressing your tires just completes the overall "just detailed look"
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
        I think dressing your tires just completes the overall "just detailed look"

I agree. It's all or nothing for me. Even my wheel wells get dressed when my tires do.

Oh yeah, i voted "always".
        Alex C.

Comment

I wash 3x/month.
          One time, I'll wash the tires with APC and dress with 4:1 Hyper Dressing.
          The next time, I'll use Bleche-Wite, then dress with HD.
          Then I go back to APC & HD.
          Next week, Bleche-Wite, HD...repeat. You see the pattern .

I would use Bleche-Wite every wash, except that I go through it fairly fast, and want to prolong its usage; plus APC 4:1 is a suitable alternative for the times that I don't use Bleche-Wite.

I love the matted, satin look of HD on the tires. For me, there's no reason to clean a tire and let it go unprotected. Unless of course, I used some super-glossy, long-lasting gel goo on the tires and it ages well, in which case I might clean the tires with APC and just let them be as long as that matted "sheen" still remains. Hope that all makes sense.

Comment

I dress the tyres every time I wash the car,which includes tyres,if neccessary.

Comment

I used to use Purple Power to clean my tires, but now I use Bleche-White. When I run out/make my ADS order I will probably switch to APC. I usually wait to apply dressing when I get to a car show that way I don't sling, I give the product enough time to absorb/dry and it has a nice shine during the car show.
              James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
              Calais Auto Detailing
              CalaisDetails@aim.com
              www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

My methods have evolved. I am more aware of how my tires look now than I was a year ago. Once every four to six weeks, I will clean the tires well using Eimann Fabric tire cleaner and my versa-angle brush. I will then dress the tires with a dressing. On the CR-V, I have been using Hot Shine tire gel. My wife prefers a high gloss look. I am presently not a big fan of the gel, but I have a bottle of the stuff and I want to use it up. I find the gel more time-consuming than other dressings I have used. On the S2000 I have been using Mother's Reflections Tire Care, which is a low-gloss, water-based dressing. It's very easy to apply, and I like the look. I just recently purchased a bottle of the Tropi-Care tire dressing, which I will try out on the S2000 the next time I dress the tires.

I do not dress the tires every time I wash the car. I will usually give the tires a couple of swipes with the versa-angle brush and car shampoo, but I do not work the brush hard. I suppose the dressing would last longer if I didn't touch the tires at all, but I prefer to remove the loose dirt and grime. It's a compromise. When the dressing appears to have disappeared and I see the brown returning, I will then do another full cleaning and dressing. So I voted "sometimes" in the poll.

Any suggestions?
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                  My methods have evolved. I am more aware of how my tires look now than I was a year ago. Once every four to six weeks, I will clean the tires well using Eimann Fabric tire cleaner and my versa-angle brush. I will then dress the tires with a dressing. On the CR-V, I have been using Hot Shine tire gel. My wife prefers a high gloss look. I am presently not a big fan of the gel, but I have a bottle of the stuff and I want to use it up. I find the gel more time-consuming than other dressings I have used. On the S2000 I have been using Mother's Reflections Tire Care, which is a low-gloss, water-based dressing. It's very easy to apply, and I like the look. I just recently purchased a bottle of the Tropi-Care tire dressing, which I will try out on the S2000 the next time I dress the tires.

I do not dress the tires every time I wash the car. I will usually give the tires a couple of swipes with the versa-angle brush and car shampoo, but I do not work the brush hard. I suppose the dressing would last longer if I didn't touch the tires at all, but I prefer to remove the loose dirt and grime. It's a compromise. When the dressing appears to have disappeared and I see the brown returning, I will then do another full cleaning and dressing. So I voted "sometimes" in the poll.

Any suggestions?
                  I think you would like M40 on tires.

Ever try it on tires?
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

"Usually" in my case.

If I'm thoroughly cleaning my car, or especially a client's car, then yes, dressing always goes on.

And when it comes to my own vehicle...when I wash the tires with APC or Bleche-Wite, then dressing goes on.

But if I'm washing my car with simple car wash soap in a routine wash (just to make my wheels & tires look tidy), then I don't apply dressing because the dressing is usually unaffected (and remains) because of the gentle nature of NXT & Gold Class Wash liquids.

Comment

• Re: Tire Cleaner Research

Originally posted by vwong View Post
                      I wonder if you can add another choice in this poll ---> "very rare". Or maybe I should just vote on "never".

Since I use my car for auto-x, and oftentimes using the tire dressing will cause the tires to lose traction around corners (at the initial turn-in) because of the tire dressing on the tire shoulder. So I don't usually use tire dressing. I only use tire dressing if there is a long break between events.

Also, I used to use the Eagle A to Z wheel cleaner for cleaning the wheels and tires (with brush to agitate). Now I'm using NXT car wash to clean the wheels as well as the tires.
                      I worry about this issue, too, as I like to go somewhat fast through corners. As I am sure, it probably says on the bottle that you are not supposed to get any of the product on the tread of the tire, yet people always do the shoulders, too. The part of it where there's already a bit of tread that is.

The problem I see with this is that you only ever use parts of the tread in quick corners. The only time you will actually wear down the applied film is when you already need the grip the most, meaning you can't "drive carefully for a while" before you go fast again.

You guys do some of the most amazing quality work when it comes to properly taking care of a car, however, I would assume you care about tire performance, too.
                      Is there something you do to get the film of the tread or do you just live with the decreased performance?

The best idea I have come across to solve this problem came from the user "The Doctor detailer"; he simply uses a paint brush to apply the gel. I suppose using this method one will be able to avoid getting the gel on unwanted areas.

I would be interested in everyone else's thoughts on the subject.

You can find the guy's tutorial here: meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13424

Take care
                      Thomas

Comment

I don't ever have an issue. Of course, I take care not to get any dressing on the actual contact patch of the tire. I mean, when you drive a bit, aggressively or not, the dressing will wear off of anywhere that comes in contact with the ground, obviously. Yeah, if you just start spraying like crazy, you'll most likely have an immediate problem.

Comment

Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant!
                          BobbyG

Comment

It depends on which vehicle I am detailing. My motorcycle tires never get dressing. My Camaro tires always get dressing, my truck tires sometimes get dressing.

Comment

I wash the tires when I wash the rims ( no special cleaner ). Then if needed I will apply Meguiar's tire and trim gel (D163). I like this because it last for many washings and has a matte finish ( I do not much care for shinny tires ), I do like shinny rims. IMHO the only things that should be shinny is paint, chrome and glass, every thing else should be matte.
                              BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

I do but its costing me a fortune so im going to try using a dressing

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');