• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first engine detail - waterless method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first engine detail - waterless method

Here are some before and after pics of my 1999 V6 Camry engine. I did it without the hose (still too scared to try with water spray). This was my very 1st engine detail, so go easy on me!! I know some of the wires are still dirty, I just couldn't reach them with my sponge. I used ONR at QD strength as my spray cleaner, along with some Auto Zone degreaser in a spray can when needed (which I did not like, BTW. I really need some ffice:smarttags" />APC+!!), and just wiped dry with a rag. Used an old toothbrush to scrub the hard-to-reach spots. Then used CD-2 engine detailer per instructions on the can.

I have done lots of research online about engine detailing, and what needs to be covered up when you are going to spray it with water (alternator, distributor, etc.), and one good tip is to put a rag in the air intake (you don't want water to get inside your engine). For the life of me, I can't find the air intake location. I mean, I know where the air filter housing is, but the air intake??! Maybe someone can help me locate it sometime...

Here we go...fficeffice" />

The engine block had some dark stains that I just could not get off, but other than that, I think it turned out pretty good. Any thoughts/comments are greatly appreciated. I want to learn how to do a better job next time!

Re: My first engine detail - waterless method

Not sure where the extra misc. text came in to my post. And I can't find the edit button to delete the "stuff"...LOL

Comment

All things considered, I think it turned out pretty good. Nice job!

Like you, I'm kinda scared to take a hose to the underside of my hood as well. Who knows why. Here's my writeup of my first waterless engine detail, if you're interested in my process: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37658. Hope this helps!
      Shane
      1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Originally posted by CieraSL View Post
        All things considered, I think it turned out pretty good. Nice job!

Like you, I'm kinda scared to take a hose to the underside of my hood as well. Who knows why. Here's my writeup of my first waterless engine detail, if you're interested in my process: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37658. Hope this helps!
        Thanks CieraSL, I got courage to try this from folks just like you!!! I read lots of write-ups, and yours was definitely one of them, which is way better than mine (pls excuse the newbie here). I tried the ONR just like you did. It worked pretty well, but I really needed some APC+ for the extra degreasing. Maybe next time we will both use a hose, and the car will start afterwards!!

Comment

Here's a better after pic of the engine:

Comment

Go for it I don't understand what the phobia is about spraying the engine bay down with water, i've been doing it to all my vehicles with no problems, all the elect connections are weather sealed. After cleaning and spraying down I start the car and blow it dry with a leaf blower
            08 Malibu LTZ

Comment

Your engine looks good. I only do a wipedown with asd. Really do not want to spray the engine either.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Malo83 View Post
                Go for it I don't understand what the phobia is about spraying the engine bay down with water, i've been doing it to all my vehicles with no problems, all the elect connections are weather sealed. After cleaning and spraying down I start the car and blow it dry with a leaf blower
                08 Malibu LTZ
                Wow! Your engine bay looks awesome! I think the phobia is that the engine has some VERY expensive parts in it, and I would rather not have to shell out that kind of money to fix anything, especially if I make a bonehead mistake and screw something up. Maybe I will try to use the hose next time I detail my engine...just hope it starts up afterwards!

Comment

Nice job, Spike. Looks a lot better than when you started for sure

One quick easy way I've found to clean my plug wires and hoses is to spray a liberal amount of M40 on a towel and just wipe down the wires and hoses with the moist towel. It's a quick easy way to clean them and adds a nice little touch to the finished result.

Comment

i was cleaning the underside of my hood today and it was pretty rough... anyone ever clay bar and polish the underside of their hood?

Comment

Originally posted by tkblazer View Post
                      i was cleaning the underside of my hood today and it was pretty rough... anyone ever clay bar and polish the underside of their hood?
                      This is a really good question. You should start a new thread? IMO
                      Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It's courage that counts.
                      by John Wooden

'88 Honda

Comment

Originally posted by Jossy92 View Post
                        This is a really good question. You should start a new thread? IMO
                        i have done it !

i once had to work on an engine bay that had an aftermarket air intake, and it painted gloss black..at first i thought id be tackling it with aluminum polish until i saw it was painted black and clear coated...i clayed the pipe, used ultimate compound, and then waxed it with NXT...yeah i know that sounds rather funny to do to an air intake, but let me tell you it made the engine bay look completely different ! no more swirls staring you in the face on the pipe
                        Addicted

Comment

Excellent job on your engine detail. To find the intake just follow the rubber hose from your air filter to intake housing (in your picture, it is the aluminum housing located at the top center) The intake housing has a butterfly valve that controls the amount of air being fed into the engine. (this is located right where the rubber tube meets the intake). Generally the rubber tube is securely affixed to the housing by a hose clamp (to avoid any leaks).

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');