• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

clear coat removed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: clear coat removed?

Yes, does have a certain dried wax look, its possible.

You can try the QD, even just try wiping a clean finger alone and see if it pulls anything up. Its possible the QD wont work to get it all, and you will need wash, re-wax, or use a paint cleaner, cleaner/wax to really remove the streaks. Hopefully that is all they are.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

How think are you applying your wax?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess it is quite thick, and difficult to remove?

I apply wax so thin I usually have to check from different angles to even see where I applied the wax to remove it... makes it much easier, doesn't smear, and doesn't waste wax

Comment

i'm keeping my fingers crossed on the "swirls"... I really hoped it is improperly dried wax and not "real swirls".

It's very hard to take pictures of it with my camera, good thing it showed on the reflection of the flourescent light. but its all over the hood and in circular patterns.

I tried the finger and doesn't look like its being removed. I think it is under the 2nd layer of wax.

i learned a lot from this claying/cleaner wax/waxing experience. and of course from this forum.

hope others learn from my mistakes.

1) don't scrimp on QD lubricant
        2) don't use too much pressure on the Clay
        3) apply wax thinly
        4) give the wax time to dry (more so if you intend to put another layer)

i'll keep you posted. I'll try to buff it again, or wash, clean and wax the hood (a small portion first) maybe during the weekend.

Thanks!

Comment

Shane
          1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

One other thing I didn't see mentioned. If you were'nt using enough lubricant, and you were using the consumer line clay which is white, some of the specs you see are probably small pieces of clay from a combination of too much pressure and too little lubricant. The clay should pretty much glide over the surface and not be getting "stuck" as you are moving it along.

Andy
            Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
            Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');