• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Hate Microfiber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate Microfiber

I can't stand to touch microfiber. Just looking at it gives me chills. I get the same reaction as I would just thinking of someone biting on foil. I even tried using gloves to touch the stuff, and I just can't do it. Is there "better" microfiber to touch then the ones you buy in Target or is it all the same? Is there anything else that is "safe" to use?

Re: I Hate Microfiber

I actually know what you are talking about, I think. I used to hate how they snagged the dry skin on my hands... like velcro.

But I don't really notice that with Supreme Shine towels, only the cheap costco towels.

Comment

Microfiber is available in different grades. I have some that I use for utility use that are the Target/auto part store grade. Then we have the better ones for use on the outside of the cars. The fibers themselves are more dense on the back and a little longer in length.

Comment

Pickup some of the Shamrock towels at AutoGeek, it's like a bath towel....sheds a little bit, but they are mighty plush.
        NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
          Pickup some of the Shamrock towels at AutoGeek, it's like a bath towel....sheds a little bit, but they are mighty plush.
          Or looks for less plush towel like Ultimate Wipes or Cobra Indigo/Arctic edgeless. I have ~40 Ultimate Wipes and 5 Indigos in my detailing collection, easily some of my favorite towels. Ultimate Wipes are a little more economical, especially from my local supplier.
          James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
          Calais Auto Detailing
          CalaisDetails@aim.com
          www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Comment

ALL microfiber are not created equal that's for sure (plushness/pile, softness, nap, size, edging, etc). The yellow vroom microfiber drying towel are very sticky, and I got a few of the smaller version on clearance a while back and they linted like crazy (i re-washed them to no avail). I wouldn't buy them even if they were on clearance again.

Comment

The sticky is actually a good thing as it "grabs" at polishes and waxes better. If you ever had experience with fighting against the oils left over from waxing you would know that shorter nap is best for initial removal of the wax.

If you want the non grip feeling, pick up some long nap towels. Just keep in mind that some do not do much in terms of removing product, instead, they work great to burnish the paint after the initial wax removal. Heck, they're great with QDs as well since the dust gets trapped between the long fibers
              Hello, I am Isaac

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. When my hands are dry, it makes my skin crawl. Weird, I know.

I haven't had the same issue with Megs MF though. Not that it's soft or plush, just not nearly as abrasive (?) as others. I guess some of the cheaper stuff is the only problem.
                -Scott

Comment

I agree, I hate the feel of it - I liken it to dragging fingers down cardboard - that sound/feeling always bugs me haha

I try to just tune it out, though..

Comment

I guess I'm on the opposite spectrum. I love how Microfiber's feel.
                    2006 San Remo Red WRX TR
                    2005 Ford Ranger XLT

Detailers clean places nobody see. Detailer see's things nobody else see. But if you ask a Detailer to see how a dress looks on a woman, they are blind.

Comment

Originally posted by TNMom View Post
                      I can't stand to touch microfiber. Just looking at it gives me chills. I get the same reaction as I would just thinking of someone biting on foil. I even tried using gloves to touch the stuff, and I just can't do it. Is there "better" microfiber to touch then the ones you buy in Target or is it all the same? Is there anything else that is "safe" to use?
                      This is where you get what u pay for.. But there are some mf that defies the logic. Ultimate Wipe comes to mind

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');