• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel cap scratches...no more!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel cap scratches...no more!!!

Do you hate those scratches you get around your fuel door due to your fuel cap hanging. Most auto part stores carry permanent fuel caps. They have a hole in them for the nozzle, but you do not remove it. The ones I have are made by Stant. These are especially useful in states where you can't pump your own fuel and the attendants could care less that you spend hours every week detailing your ride!!!
    There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Re: Fuel cap scratches...no more!!!

Doesn't the fuel cap door have a sort of slot for you to place the fuel cap on so that it doesn't hang and hit the car? Mine does...

I'll take a pic tomorrow if it sounds confusing. But then again, I'm not sure if all cars have the little slot on the fuel cap door...
    2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
    Black Obsidian

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch34 View Post
      Doesn't the fuel cap door have a sort of slot for you to place the fuel cap on so that it doesn't hang and hit the car? Mine does...

I'll take a pic tomorrow if it sounds confusing. But then again, I'm not sure if all cars have the little slot on the fuel cap door...
      I know what you are talking about. No, believe it or not many manufacturers don't do that.
      There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Comment

Ah gotcha, that's news to me! Well if that's the case, this new permanent fuel cap sounds helpful!
        2011 Infiniti G37S 6MT
        Black Obsidian

Comment

I put the cap back on when I'm done pumping. Your saying in those few states where attendants need to pump, they don't? I'd think you'd see the cap hanging off the car if they did not.

Some states have required emissions tests. In my experience it's required that an OEM cap is installed to prevent venting. I'm not sure those mentioned would pass.

(Though, who knows as it's not clear on what is being written of)

Comment

My 07 Eclipse Spyder doesn't have any space for it, I just put a microfiber towel against the place where it will hit.

Comment

Originally posted by tcope1 View Post
              I put the cap back on when I'm done pumping. Your saying in those few states where attendants need to pump, they don't? I'd think you'd see the cap hanging off the car if they did not.

Some states have required emissions tests. In my experience it's required that an OEM cap is installed to prevent venting. I'm not sure those mentioned would pass.

(Though, who knows as it's not clear on what is being written of)
              The caps I'm talking about have a spring loaded door, the size of a fuel nozzle to prevent emissions. Also, I'm not saying to use one so you don't forget to put yours back on, although if you do forget, this would prevent that. I was suggesting this type of fuel cap for those people who just have a regular cap on a tether. When you remove the cap and it hangs on the paint, over time this can cause some pretty nasty scratches and marring where it rubs the paint. I was simply suggesting a non removable fuel cap for those who have this issue and/or wish to prevent it.

Comment

Why is it against the law for some people to pump their own gas?
                NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                  I don't know how many states do this. I live close to New Jersey(where gas is MUCH cheaper) and you cannot pump your own fuel. I don't know why it is.

Comment

[crotchety old guy rant] When I was young we didn't have yer new-fangled gas caps on a rope. We just set the cap on top of the gas pump and then drove away and left it there. Then we stuffed a rag in the tank and it caught fire and burned the car and us to the ground. And we liked it! [/crotchety old guy rant]

Of the four cars at our house,

oldest one - "race style" flip up filler cap on top of rear deck, no need for cap holder thingy.

next oldest - No cap holder thingy, no cap leash. I usually put the cap on the metal piece of the pump where the filler nozzle rests. That way I can't put the nozzle back without picking up the cap. On a lot of new pumps the cap doesn't sit there easily so I just hold it my hand while pumping.

next car - Yes, there's a cap holder thingy. No cap leash, aftermarket key-lock cap. Piece of cake, put cap in holder thingy. Local smog check always checks gas tank seal, but they do it with their cap (which has a sensor tube hanging off of it). So it only checks the tank and neck, not the cap. The cap could be a screen door for all they know. (They will fail it if you have a rag instead of a cap.)

newest car - Yes, there's a cap holder thingy, and a cap leash.

pc.

Comment

...or you could just buy a new Ford... they all feature "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler systems. It suctions itself shut, removing the need for any cap at all. Also reduces emissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                        ...or you could just buy a new Ford... they all feature "Easy Fuel" capless fuel filler systems. It suctions itself shut, removing the need for any cap at all. Also reduces emissions.

Only a few models. I just bought an 2010 model, obviously I had to go aftermarket. I mean really, what can you expect for $30K anymore? But yes, easy fuel capless filler are exactly what I've been trying to describe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post

I'll keep that in mind when I go look for a new Taurus SHO or my dream Focus RS

Comment

Both of our cars have a slot for the fuel cap.
                            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
                              It keeps people employed in gas stations.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');