• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Cobalt SS: Pre-Sale Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Cobalt SS: Pre-Sale Detail

A good friend of mine is selling his Cobalt SS, so, it needed to be cleaned up. It gets run through a touchless carwash on occasion (i.e.- the wheels have never actually been scrubbed, let alone the insides; the exhaust tip never polished [it was "carbon black" inside and out] and so on), and the interior has been cleaned once I think. I put about 8 hours into it. The interior was the main focus as it was so bad, but the engine bay and exterior needed work too. I will preface this write-up by saying I didn't have time to take before pictures of the engine and exterior (weather; you'll see in the exterior pictures), but the interior pictures will give you a rough idea of that situation as well.

The Interior/Trunk

The Process:
    • Remove seats and any interior trim panels that can be removed. Remove the trunk carpet.
    • Vacuum the floor mats, interior and the trunk area.
    • Wipe interior down with APC+ where necessary and Quik Interior Detailer. Wipe the trunk trim and subwoofer with APC+.
    • Use Meguiar's Slide Lock Brush and Triple Duty Detail Brush to brush out dust and dirt from the cracks and crevices of the seats (behind all levers as well), stereo, trim, etc...
    • The rear seats were cleaned and protected with Meguiar's Gold Class Leather spray. The leather on the front seats was cleaned and protected with Meguiar's Gold Class Leather spray and the cloth/net inserts were wiped down with Meguiar's APC+.
    • During the first night, all trim was dressed with Meguiar's NXT Tech Protect, then with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 4:1 the next day as a follow up to ensure complete and even coverage and appearance.
    • The floor mats were liberally soaked with Meguiar's Quik Out and Meguiar's APC+, then scrubbed with the G100 and the short and long bristle Hi-Tech DA Shampoo brushes. The mats were rinsed in the tub due to the amount of cleaner, and even more so, the amount of dirt. From there, the mats were re-rinsed with hot water and then the water extracted using a Bissel Little Green Machine Pro-Heat.
    • The removable interior trim pieces were cleaned with the Meguiar's Triple Duty Detail Brush and APC+, then dressed.
    • The glove box and any the small storage cubby were cleaned with Meguiar's APC+ and dressed with Meguiar's NXT Tech Protect.

The Exterior/Engine

The Process:

• Car was sprayed down at the coin-op car wash to get rid of major dirt on the exterior.
    • The warm engine was soaked liberally with Meguiar's APC+, then scrubbed using wash brushes and Meguiar's NXT Car Wash Soap and finally rinsed. The underside of the hood was wiped down with a damp cloth. Everything was dressed with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 4:1.
    • The wheels, wheel wells and tires were cleaned using Meguiar's NXT Car Wash Soap, Meguiar's APC+, Meguiar's Super Degreaser, Meguiar's Wheel Spoke Brush and various wash and tire brushes. The wheel wells were dressed with Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 4:1. The tires were dressed with Meguiar's M38 Tire and Trim Dressing Gel.
    • The exterior was washed with Meguiar's NXT Car Wash Soap and two Meguiar's Chenille Wash Mitts.
    • The exhaust tip was polished using a Meguiar's Hi-Tech applicator pad and Meguiar's Mag and Aluminum Polish.
    • All trim was dressing with Meguiar's M38 Tire and Trim Dressing Gel, including the piece of the windshield cowl that resides under the hood and the weatherstripping.
    • All plastic was polished using Plexus.
    • Door jambs, trunk and engine bay water channels were all wiped down.
    • Door jamb plastic-sills were dressed with Meguiar's Exterior Trim Detailer Aerosol.
    • The paint was then wiped down with Meguiar's Last Touch 1:1 to ensure a streak-free, glossy shine.
    • All residual dirt and wax was cleaned out using the Meguiar's Triple Duty Detail Brush and Meguiar's Last Touch 1:1.

The Pictures

The Interior/Trunk:

Before

After

The Exterior/Engine/"Final" Interior:

Thanks for looking!!!

Re: 2006 Cobalt SS: Pre-Sale Detail

Wow tyler..you deffintely had a big job on your hands..interior and engine details are my favorite though ! i love being in a clean car. and i really like the look of HD at 4:1

i have my bottle diluted at 2:1 and i think 4:1 looks better...anyway great job. this was a huge makeover
    Addicted

Comment

great attention to detail man
      Attention To Detailz

Comment

Great Work!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
        Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

great detail
          keep up the good work

your work is very inspiring

thanks for leading the way

MA ma mia
          it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

Nice. After seeing the difference, did your friend decide to keep the car?
            Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Great work, Tyler. That is a tremendous improvement. Your friend should really reap the benefits when he trades it in. Car looks great.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Holy smokes! Looks like the interior kept you busy for awhile. Excellent turn around, I'm sure your friend had some doubts on selling it after seeing the end result!

Keep up the great work!
                For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Thats a lot of work Tyler. Turned out great indeed. Bet it'll fetch better money on the sale.
                  Learning new things everyday

Comment

Excellent work!

Comment

Nice work Tyler.

You definitly brought the interior back to life.
                      Nick
                      Tucker's Detailing Services
                      815-954-0773
                      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Looks great! Interior was such a mess before! Way to go!

How come he didn't have you do more on the exterior - i.e. clay, paint correction, wax, etc.?
                        Shane
                        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the kind words all! I wasn't expecting so many so soon! LOL!

It was a tremendous job indeed, with the interior being the main focus. Exterior work was at a minimum simply because he is getting rid of it, so he didn't want to spend a lot of time of it. I have done some mild exterior work on it before, and I'm sure I will be maintaining the vehicle until it sells. The paint is actually in pretty decent shape do to the low mileage on the car and it being a "weekend warrior," and I have kept an eye on it, so to speak. It's funny though. He's selling it because he doesn't drive it a lot, and wants to get rid of the payment. Once it was cleaned, he drove it all weekend, lol. Every time I saw him, he was in the car. We went to CarMax after I completely finished, and they appraised the car for the "excellent" trade-in value on both KBB and NADA (it got every single one of their highest ratings), so from there, I listed it private party for him to see what happens first. I did all of this work free of charge because he is always there to help me work on my cars, so it is a big "thank you" as well.

Comment

Amazing work, I'm starting to feel like a lazy person with the work that has been produced lately.
                            Schotography

Comment

Nappers stamp of approval on the interior!

Awesome job on that Cobalt SS, great little cars and fast!

One shamed me in my stock Neon (non SRT) he knew it was stock but blew my doors off then we compared notes on his car, nice little car indeed.

Added some $$ to the value cleaning 'er up!

Good show!
                              Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');