• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car paint/ paint codes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car paint/ paint codes?

I took my car to a local shop today to have a price estimate on fixing two very minor paint chips on my bumper, and they said $800 for redoing the base coat, then the clear coat, etc. As much as the two minor cosmetic problems bother me, I'm not willing to pay $800 to get them fix. I was wondering if there's a place where I can check my car's paint code (from VIN number I guess) and then buy a small quantity of paint so I can fix it myself? Sure it won't be professional quality, but it's better to have two small spots of the same paint without clearly coat rather than two small spots of no paint/black.

Re: Car paint/ paint codes?

The code will be on the door, or possibly trunk sticker.

You should be able to buy matching paint from your dealer for 4 or 5 bucks. You can also buy clear coat from a Pep-Boys, etc if you wanted.

Just apply a few coats slowly with a toothpick, letting them dry, and you can get it fairly evel with no sanding.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

A Google search will tell you where to find the mfg cod on your car. O'Reily's also sells the Duplicolor products. There is a touch up paint matched to your paint code as well as a kit that has body putty, clear coat, wet sand paper etc to complete the repairs.

Walmart also sells the kit and a limited selection of the paints.

Comment

Originally posted by agp423 View Post
        I took my car to a local shop today to have a price estimate on fixing two very minor paint chips on my bumper, and they said $800 for redoing the base coat, then the clear coat, etc. As much as the two minor cosmetic problems bother me, I'm not willing to pay $800 to get them fix. I was wondering if there's a place where I can check my car's paint code (from VIN number I guess) and then buy a small quantity of paint so I can fix it myself? Sure it won't be professional quality, but it's better to have two small spots of the same paint without clearly coat rather than two small spots of no paint/black.
        The paint code locations changes what year is your Caddie ?

The code is on the bottom of a white label with several rows of 3 digit num./ letter combo.
        On GM the code is at the bottom and should have BC/CC and a WA number
        ex WA8550. if the vehicle is two tone there will be U8550 for upper color and L 8645 for lower color

Comment

Dr Color Chip has an excellent online resource to help you find and identify your paint code: Automotive Paint Code Location Help

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
            The paint code locations changes what year is your Caddie ?

The code is on the bottom of a white label with several rows of 3 digit num./ letter combo.
            On GM the code is at the bottom and should have BC/CC and a WA number
            ex WA8550. if the vehicle is two tone there will be U8550 for upper color and L 8645 for lower color
            Mine's an 2007 CTS.

I'll check around the car for it.

Comment

Mine's an 2007 CTS.

I'll check around the car for it.
              Found the code on the bottom of the spare tire cover in the trunk, and it's U 400P. What's a reliable place to buy the paint/clear coat from?

Comment

For a little pen/bottle, the dealer is fine.
                2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                  For a little pen/bottle, the dealer is fine.
                  Where can I buy it online? I'm trying to stay away from the dealer if possible.

I tried PaintScratch.com and found the paint code. The website has WA400P, my car has U400P, not sure if it makes a difference. But the website offers base, clear, and primer - do I need all three? And AutomotiveTouchUp.com offers the base coat only, do I not need a clear coat? I know next to nothing when it comes to this

Comment

Found the code on the bottom of the spare tire cover in the trunk, and it's U 400P. What's a reliable place to buy the paint/clear coat from?
                    you will need to cross the U 400P to there code should be a book by the touch up

Duplicolor works well

auto zone, wal mart

Comment

Just went to a local Walmart and Strauss, none of them had a 400P or a book that converts WA and U codes... Unfortunately there's no Autozone near where I live.

Comment

Just went to a local Walmart and Strauss, none of them had a 400P or a book that converts WA and U codes... Unfortunately there's no Autozone near where I live.
                        Even at the dealer there only about $ 9.00

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');