• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I notice a difference if I use the G-100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I notice a difference if I use the G-100

Will I notice a difference if I use the G-100

Hi all, I just signed up as a newbie and am wondering will I notice a difference in my cars finish if i purchase the G100 polisher, my car is a 2004 silver ford Thunderbird, was clayed at the dealership, and I waxed it with the Meguiar's NXT wax and used my 11 inch car buffer, the car sure felt ultra ultra smooth after I was finished and has a great shine.

Now I read about the Meguiar's G100 Dual Action Polisher?

Will it give me a better shine and a smoother surface? This is a Sunday, fair weather driver thats garaged and covered and has less than 600 miles. I would purchase the polisher if it would be a big improvement over my 11 inch buffer.

Thanks...

Hi ourbail,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Oh gosh... where do I start...

Click through and read and look at the pictures in our "Detail Days at Meguiar's" forum in the link below and you will see many, many side-by-side and before and after photos of what can be accomplished with the G100. Best of all it's faster, easier and more effective than working by hand.

Detail Days at Meguiar's

Check out his thread,

Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

You will find lots of good info here!

When I first got my PC several years ago now I was shocked to see how much better the end product looked. I did my cars by hand 2 times a year. Now its easier, faster and I finds myself waxing my vehicle more often (3-4 months) and in turn I know my paint is well cared for and protected all the time.

I would also pick up a couple ultimate bonnets to remove the wax. Make is quick, easy and believe it or not it adds just a little more to the shine.

Here is my .02 cents..... I have found the PC has more power and easier to control than a 10" or 11" buffer. I have used a couple of them and compared to the PC the 10" machine seemed to move more than the pad itself. Where the PC puts the power at the pad.

You might consider moving to a PC, they work well.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I don't think you will see much difference on a silver car. I have several cars and my red and blue cars sparkle when you put in the extra effort. My two silver cars, a 2004 and a 1997 look good with just a coat of NXT Tech wax.

You'll know if you need polishing because you can see the swirls and other defects in the right light. If they get to the point where it bothers you then get the G-100 buffer and remove them.

Comment

Welcome!

I was skeptical of using the PC. I thought I could get just as good results by hand. The PC when used properly will make a big difference plus save you time and energy.

I second the Ultimate Bonnet and PC for wax removal. I also thought the wax/sealant step should be done by hand. After using the PC to remove wax I found the shine to be better than removing by hand. Both NXT and Gold Class had great results using the PC.

Silver is tough to get great depth, but it can still glisten!

With the time and energy saved, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get the PC. I sure did!

Comment

How much instruction do I need to become confident using a G100?
            Do I need to tape edges and high spots to prevent buffing through the paint?
            Some of the vehicles I have detailed have tape pinstripes, will the G100 damage
            them? Sorry for all the Questions, I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks.
            Age is relative-When you're over the hill you pick up speed.

Comment

Go to the page below and check out the "Power Polishing Clinic" in about the middle of the page. I found it helpful when I bought my PC.

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by Older Than Dirt
                How much instruction do I need to become confident using a G100?

Do I need to tape edges and high spots to prevent buffing through the paint?

Some of the vehicles I have detailed have tape pinstripes, will the G100 damage them? Sorry for all the Questions, I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks.
                Hi Older Than Dirt,

It's always a good idea to avoid buffing directly on top of high points, edges and body lines just as a common sense approach to machine polishing paint. That said, as long as your car's finish is in good shape, the gentle polishing action of the G100 is very safe and you shouldn't have any problems unless the paint is very thin in these areas, thus the the reason to adopt the practice of not polishing directly on top of them.

If you want, for an extra measure of caution, you can apply some tape over the edges.

I often buff right over pin striping with no problems. If the pin striping is in good shape and not lifting off, you shouldn't have any problems and polishing them will tend to make them look better. Any pin striping that you wouldn't polish by hand because it's flaking off, cracking off, or so thin it's almost gone shouldn't be polished by hand, or machine.

If these two can do it, so can you...

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the replys im tempted,another question is the G-100 the same as the Porter cable 73365p or 7424 it looks very similar or is there a difference,enquireing minds would like to know..............

Comment

Besides the price, stickers, backing plate and lifetime warranty difference they are the same. I got the 7336 at Lowes a few weeks ago for $99.

Comment

thanks i will check it out at Lowes this weekend and will purchase the Meguiars products for all three cars that we own,would be nice if the G-100 was closer to the Lowes price but i understand why not.... still a great pc and web siite ,glad i stumble across it....

Comment

Thanks all for your replys. This looks like something I should add to my detailing
                        arsenal. Can this be used to polish a windshield? I detail a 70 GTO a couple
                        of times a year and I wish I could remove the hazing where the wipers have worn
                        a pattern.
                        Age is relative-When you're over the hill you pick up speed

Comment

Once you get the buffer, the best deal is to order their set of 3, 6.5" Polishing Pads and Backing Plate, part number W-DAV99 for $32.95. A lot more if you order seperately. The two yellow pads are for polishing and the white is for waxing, you'll be set for a long, long time. Then get a quart of their DA Cleaner/Polish and their Techwax and you can make just about any car super shiny. I know some people like to use the microfiber bonet for taking the wax off but I find it quicker to just use a microfiber towel and do it by hand, Costco has 16 for under $10 and they work great. Just remember to take the labels off before using. Before you buff you'll need to clay, Meguiars has theirs for pretty cheap for under $10.

Comment

Polishing glass takes something a little stronger than paint polish and I don't think Meguiars carries such a product. What you need is cerium oxide and a glass polishing pad. Just a quick search on the internet found this place, don't know anything about them but if you search for the cerium oxide you'll find plenty of place to get it from.

Originally posted by Older Than Dirt
                            Thanks all for your replys. This looks like something I should add to my detailing
                            arsenal. Can this be used to polish a windshield? I detail a 70 GTO a couple
                            of times a year and I wish I could remove the hazing where the wipers have worn
                            a pattern.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply Buellwinkle (I like the name). The link was very helpful
                              and I think it's worth trying if the GTO's owner will absorb the cost of the product.
                              "The best things in life aren't things"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');