• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Car

Right now I am looking at a 1984 Lincoln Town Car as a beater. I want something big, cheap and comfortable to beat up and ride around with on a regular basis and while my Cutlass remains in the driveway under my car cover. I've found a local one with 97k miles and nearly no body rot. Its got a few interior problems like one of the speakers is missing and the glove box door is warped; but for the most part it is a working car. I drove it around the block a couple times, it runs though it is a bit loud and has a bit of trouble down-shifting. I am going to have it checked out by a local mechanic who is familiar with the car. I've managed to talk the owner down to $700. If all is well with the engine, I will probably buy it. If all else fails I'm sure I could put it on Craigslist for at least $1000. From what I can tell the parts are fairly cheap and plentiful right now, the 302 Windsor in it is supposedly pretty reliable.

What are your experiences with this marque/model? What do you think about the price? Any ideas where to get parts? Any obvious problems with my plan? Anything specific I should check on this particular car? Any common problems with this marque?*
    James - 1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais
    Calais Auto Detailing
    CalaisDetails@aim.com
    www.calaisdetailing.com (under construction)

Re: 2nd Car

I have a friend who just bought his daughter a 96 bonneville for $400.00
    runs great. Maybe you should check out a local car auction. Or buy my car

Comment

If your mechanic says it is in good shape mechanically. I would go for it. Good luck.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Having been a Ford Lincoln Mercury tech in the past (4 almost 5 years..)

Big and cush?
        Check

Slow and a gas hog?
        Check

Floaty ride? Check (Doesn't float like a cadillac nor sting like a beamer)

The Lincolns also had way more 'technology' than their siblings.. So if everything still works that'd be amazing but when it breaks.. good luck getting it to work

A quick autotrader search in your general vicinity (but jersey side I think) showed quite a few other options for under $1000 that fit your bill.. and were a lot newer than that big ol' lincoln that had been choked by smog controls and early 80s technologies..

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');