• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Detail Attempt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Detail Attempt Questions

I am going to attempt my first detail attempt soon and I will be doing it by hand. As some may know, I am new the forum. I have been doing a lot of research over the past few weeks and I am going to attempt to detail my car and dads. So here is what I am thinking, tell me if am on the right track?

For my dads truck: 2001 Red Nissan Frontier with mild/heavy swirls.
    Wash
    Clay
    SwirlX
    DC2 Polish
    DC3 Carnauba Wax

For my car: 2007 Scion TC, Dark Blue, Paint shows no swirls, just minor scratches.
    Wash
    Clay
    DC1 Cleaner
    DC2 Polish
    DC3 Carnauba Wax

Am I on the right track? Regarding the swirls in the Frontier, I just assumed to try swirlx first, should I try Ultimate Compound or the New Polishing and Rubbing Compounds? I understand the Polishing compound is comparable to SwirlX and the Rubbing compound is comparable to the Ultimate compound.

Re: First Detail Attempt Questions

Do a test spot with SwirlX and go from there. You may or may not have to use Ultimate Compound. If you do use Ultimate Compound you will most likely have to follow up with SwirlX. Just be sure to do some test spots to dial in a good process.

The process for your own car looks good. You could try removing the minor scratches with SwirlX or Ultimate Compound since Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is fairly mild.

As for the new Polishing and Rubbing Compound, I think you will get better results using SwirlX and Ultimate Compound by hand than the Rubbing and Polishing Compound by hand. Thats just my opinion though. Also be sure to have plently of clean foam applicators and microfiber polishing cloths on hand.

Good luck and be sure to post up some pictures when you are done.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Should I use the paint cleaner on the truck as well?

Comment

Originally posted by rherring16 View Post
        Should I use the paint cleaner on the truck as well?
        DC1 and SwirlX are very similar, in fact DC1 is discontinued in the US and essentially replaced with SwirlX. You could use up your DC1 cleaner on your car, since it is in good shape (assuming you dont need/want to remove scratches etc with SwirlX or UC), and then eventually (when DC1 runs out) just use SwirlX on both. You dont need to use DC1 in addition to SwirlX on truck.

In the future, if/when you just have SwirlX, dont wory about it being too agressive. It is still very mild, especially when used by hand.

Polish/glaze is always an optional step, especially after SwirlX which contains some polish, but on your red paint it certainly wont hurt and might add a little bit of extra pop. I always do it.

Note: some folks will re-wash (or spray detailer) after a cleaner like SwirlX to ensure it is totally removed before moving to the next step. I dont, but many perfectionists do.
        2010 XRS

Comment

Hey rherring

check this out!

How To Remove Swirls By Hand
          ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
          You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
          Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');