• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much paint are you removing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

I think Joe's post also points out that people need to use caution when wanting to wet sand their daily driver.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Fantastic write-up SS. Great stuff!
      "Detailing is as much an art as it is a science"
      www.autodetailer.co

Comment

Awesome write up Joe ! I love it.

Let me just add one thing to the list of variables, Joe mentioned that the had removed x amount of clear which is within safe specs for film build removal/paint correction. One thing to keep in mind is that unless you know the entire history of that vehicle you don't know if someone else has already removed 2-3 mils of paint over the life of the vehicle, that would put the paint into the too thin category and would be subject to failure.

Joe makes it look easy, be careful even considering wet sanding your paint finish.
        If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Brian is absolutly correct. Get an idea what the thickness should be for your paticular year make model and color of vehicle.

Last night I wanted to burn the paint and take readings as I GRINDED on the paint.

This paticular area measured at 4.2 mils when I started.
          It took three times with diamond cut and a wool pad to get a dull hazy look to the paint. It measured at 2.3 mils and was very hot to the touch. At this point I am sure I was into the base coat.

One more buff got me down into the primer and measured 2.0 mils.

That is a total of 2.2 mils removed.

You can see the black on the white wool pad from the base coat.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

you are a nut
            Chopped 55 Suburban
            99 3.0 CL
            Family cars:
            1958 Eldo Biarrittz Vert
            48 Merc Woody - a true sleeper
            New project: 67 Sunbeam Tiger
            Newest project: 66 Mustang Vert

Comment

Great Writeup.
              That answered a lot of curiosity's I have had for a while. The only other thing I think would have been interesting though extremely time consuming would be to see how many passes it took with and 8006 + g-100+ 83 to remove .1 mil of clear. Simply because I have seen that asked a great deal.

Great writeup Joe,

Comment

Thank you for spending your time/resources to provide us with the information and your insights…/

FWIW-I have this info. book marked for reference (I don’t remember its source)

German and Japanese cars: 4-5 Mils (1 Mil=1000th of an inch)
                With the exception of:
                Lexus-White and Tan: 5-7 Mils, Lexus- Black and Silver: 4.5-6 Mils
                BMW: Silver: 6-7 Mils
                FORD: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils
                GM Cars and Trucks: Approx. 4.5-6.0 Mils, Jimmys and Blazers: approx 7 Mils
                Chrysler: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils (Note Sebring hoods are fiberglass)
                Dodge Cars: Similar to Chrysler
                Dodge Trucks and newer Ram Pick-ups: Cab approx. Mils and the boxes approx 9 Mils
                Jaguar: approx. 6-7.5 Mils (but they tend to vary)
                Jeep Grand Cherokee: These read approx. 6-8 Mils, Wranglers: approx. 4.5-5.5 Mils
                ~ Providing unbiased advice that Professional and Enthusiast Detailer’s Trust ~ Blog – http://togwt1980.blogspot.com

Comment

Great info, TOGWT! Are all Sebring hoods fiberglass within the last 2-3 years? I was trying some clay and cleaner wax on my sister's Sebring and did not notice if it was fiberglass or not.

RamAirV1
                  2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                  2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Great write up and pictures, Joe. Very informative and well written. This should be a forum sticky for all eternity!
                    Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by Scottwax
                      Great write up and pictures, Joe. Very informative and well written. This should be a forum sticky for all eternity!
                      Consider it done!!!
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Very informative article.

I really like the '63 or '64 Riviera in the background - my dream car!

Comment

Great info, thanks for taking the time to document this.

Comment

Again thanks for the kind words.

My car is a 64.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                              Again thanks for the kind words.

My car is a 64.

We need to tell Buick to bring back the Riviera!!!

Thanks for the great write-up Joe!

Lew

"...will separate aircraft for food"

My Mercedes Benz S600

Comment

GM needs to bring back the Riviera with an LS1 (or LS2) V8. That would be a perfect match!

RamAirV1
                                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');