• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Hopefully someone can answer a question I have from the original post:

"Sand with 220 grit disc on PC"

What is a PC? I don't do much detailing (but am interested in learning more). Is that some kind of orbital sander? I tried searching the thread and the forum. Google is useless when searching for the term "PC" in reference to power tools. I own an angle grinder, but clearly that is too heavy duty for sanding.

Thanks
    Drew

Comment

PC = Porter-Cable

It is a brand of dual-action 'buffers'. The PC started its' life out as a random action sander, then someone thought, "Hey, maybe I can polish the car with this." As they say, the rest is history.

Bill

Comment

I'm curious...can you spray a clear coat on afterwards to help protect it?

Comment

Very nice! That result should send a message to many "so-called professional repainters" out there. Just imagine how shinier it can get if you used a spray gun and put a layer or 2 of clear coat.. Nice, not bad for a cheap paint job done by an amateur

Comment

Do you think you can shoot this paint through a paint gun???

Comment

Originally posted by CreamPuff View Post
              Do you think you can shoot this paint through a paint gun???
              Yes, you can, just make sure you practice reducing it first with mineral spirits before spraying. You want to make sure you have the right viscosity. I sprayed it recently and it came out great, I didn't get any pictures or remember the paint to mineral spirits ratio.

Comment

I just finished this paint in black on my 91 nissan 240sx. I just purchased a kit with the megs G110v2, M105, 205 and assorted pads. How should i go about using the products to get the best results? I have some experience with a DA and i will be finishing wet sanding with 1500 and 2000 before cutting and whatnot. How long should i wait to finish off the paint?

Comment

Holy, Moly!! Another lesson learned. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Hello - I am super glad to find this thread and will dust it off and see if I can get some help.

Before reading this thread I decided to use some Red Rust-oleum paint on an old truck. I used a 6" high density foam roller to apply it. Before applying I followed all the guidance on other articles and did a final wet sanding with 1000 grit. I honestly feel my prep was more than sufficient.

I mixed the paint with mineral spirits and used the method to add mineral spirits until the paint dripped off a spoon after 3-4 seconds. I would guess the mix was about 60/40 paint to thinner.

When I applied the paint I tried to do lighter coats. I did not load up the roller with too much paint. I was applying the paint in 80 degree weather - maybe 85 - but in a garage so it was not in the sun.

The problem I have is once dry, the paint was never close to shiny and smooth. It was a bit textured but not overly orange-peeled. The paint is gloss red and it just seemed to dry like a matte flat paint.

I am not sure if I sanded once more with 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper but just don't think it would do much to help.

I am looking for a glossy shine. I have 8 or 10 coats of paint on now so I think I am fine with the amount of coats. I can't imagine 2 or 4 more coats would magically get me a glossy finish. I did the prescribed plan of wet sanding with a higher grit paper after 2 coats and like I said I am now at 1000 grit.

My guess to the issue is either my mix is off - perhaps I need more thinner or the heat in the garage was too high to dry or finish correctly. I think my technique is fine. I would love to be done with this!

I would appreciate any help you can offer as to why the paint is drying to a flat matte finish.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Deeman View Post
                      Hello - I am super glad to find this thread and will dust it off and see if I can get some help.

Before reading this thread I decided to use some Red Rust-oleum paint on an old truck. I used a 6" high density foam roller to apply it. Before applying I followed all the guidance on other articles and did a final wet sanding with 1000 grit. I honestly feel my prep was more than sufficient.

I mixed the paint with mineral spirits and used the method to add mineral spirits until the paint dripped off a spoon after 3-4 seconds. I would guess the mix was about 60/40 paint to thinner.

When I applied the paint I tried to do lighter coats. I did not load up the roller with too much paint. I was applying the paint in 80 degree weather - maybe 85 - but in a garage so it was not in the sun.

The problem I have is once dry, the paint was never close to shiny and smooth. It was a bit textured but not overly orange-peeled. The paint is gloss red and it just seemed to dry like a matte flat paint.

I am not sure if I sanded once more with 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper but just don't think it would do much to help.

I am looking for a glossy shine. I have 8 or 10 coats of paint on now so I think I am fine with the amount of coats. I can't imagine 2 or 4 more coats would magically get me a glossy finish. I did the prescribed plan of wet sanding with a higher grit paper after 2 coats and like I said I am now at 1000 grit.

My guess to the issue is either my mix is off - perhaps I need more thinner or the heat in the garage was too high to dry or finish correctly. I think my technique is fine. I would love to be done with this!

I would appreciate any help you can offer as to why the paint is drying to a flat matte finish.

Thanks!
                      Try some 105 by DA or by hand on a section and see if that brings out the gloss

Comment

I wanted to follow-up on my experience with this. I must have 20 coats on my truck by now as I was learning and trying to get it right. I did find that a 3:2 mix worked perfectly. I did use acetone and now realize one of the issues I was having was "flashing" of the paint. I know this is supposed to be common with acetone and I was afraid to switch to thinner after using acetone.

The flashing I experienced was a matte finish on certain parts of the car. For example I must have tried to paint my hood (with a lot of hours sanding in between) to be uniform. I could get this beautiful liquid finish but would always get sections where the finish was more textured. Worse, once I rolled on the area and noticed it had a textured look I could not fix it during that session. I would need to sand the entire hood again and try again - and it would flash in another spot. Drive me crazy and I honestly gave up. I hope and think that thinner would fix this, not sure.

I used a 4" foam roller - make sure it's pushed on all the way and Regal Red from Rustoleum. For what it is I love it. Thanks for all the info on this thread!!

Comment

I wanted to follow-up on my experience with this. I must have 20 coats on my truck by now as I was learning and trying to get it right. I did find that a 3:2 mix worked perfectly. I did use acetone and now realize one of the issues I was having was "flashing" of the paint. I know this is supposed to be common with acetone and I was afraid to switch to thinner after using acetone.

The flashing I experienced was a matte finish on certain parts of the car. For example I must have tried to paint my hood (with a lot of hours sanding in between) to be uniform. I could get this beautiful liquid finish but would always get sections where the finish was more textured. Worse, once I rolled on the area and noticed it had a textured look I could not fix it during that session. I would need to sand the entire hood again and try again - and it would flash in another spot. Drive me crazy and I honestly gave up. I hope and think that thinner would fix this, not sure.

I used a 4" foam roller - make sure it's pushed on all the way and Regal Red from Rustoleum. For what it is I love it. Thanks for all the info on this thread!!
                          I had great results using mineral spirits - have you tried that?

Comment

No, I did not try mineral spirits. Actually, that is what I should have mentioned in my update. I should have used mineral spirits and not acetone. I really appreciate the advice and time it took you to post all the updates and info. Do you know what I am referring to with the small sections of wet paint that show as textured? When applied wet it would immediately go on like this. As a desperate move I even loaded up the roller with extra paint since I thought it may have been just a lack of paint, but that did not help.

I may try to do the hood once more and use mineral spirits just to see if it helped.

Thanks again Infinite!!!!!

Comment

No, I did not try mineral spirits. Actually, that is what I should have mentioned in my update. I should have used mineral spirits and not acetone. I really appreciate the advice and time it took you to post all the updates and info. Do you know what I am referring to with the small sections of wet paint that show as textured? When applied wet it would immediately go on like this. As a desperate move I even loaded up the roller with extra paint since I thought it may have been just a lack of paint, but that did not help.

I may try to do the hood once more and use mineral spirits just to see if it helped.

Thanks again Infinite!!!!!
                              I never had the issue you are describing but it sounds like a chemical reaction or super-fast flashing. I'll bet mineral spirits solves your issue. Make sure the paint is super clean before applying the next coat. I like to use a microfiber cloth and alcohol to wipe it down before applying the next coat. You can also use any pre-paint prep from a paint store. Some people also use glass cleaner.

Good luck

Comment

Glad you revived this! I missed the original post and enjoyed going through this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');