My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job" - Page 18
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8101112131415161718
Results 171 to 179 of 179

Thread: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

          
  1. #171
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    Quote Originally Posted by CreamPuff View Post
    Do you think you can shoot this paint through a paint gun???
    Yes, you can, just make sure you practice reducing it first with mineral spirits before spraying. You want to make sure you have the right viscosity. I sprayed it recently and it came out great, I didn't get any pictures or remember the paint to mineral spirits ratio.

  2. #172
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville NC
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    I just finished this paint in black on my 91 nissan 240sx. I just purchased a kit with the megs G110v2, M105, 205 and assorted pads. How should i go about using the products to get the best results? I have some experience with a DA and i will be finishing wet sanding with 1500 and 2000 before cutting and whatnot. How long should i wait to finish off the paint?

  3. #173
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    SOCAL
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    Holy, Moly!! Another lesson learned. Thanks for the post.

  4. #174
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    Hello - I am super glad to find this thread and will dust it off and see if I can get some help.

    Before reading this thread I decided to use some Red Rust-oleum paint on an old truck. I used a 6" high density foam roller to apply it. Before applying I followed all the guidance on other articles and did a final wet sanding with 1000 grit. I honestly feel my prep was more than sufficient.

    I mixed the paint with mineral spirits and used the method to add mineral spirits until the paint dripped off a spoon after 3-4 seconds. I would guess the mix was about 60/40 paint to thinner.

    When I applied the paint I tried to do lighter coats. I did not load up the roller with too much paint. I was applying the paint in 80 degree weather - maybe 85 - but in a garage so it was not in the sun.

    The problem I have is once dry, the paint was never close to shiny and smooth. It was a bit textured but not overly orange-peeled. The paint is gloss red and it just seemed to dry like a matte flat paint.

    I am not sure if I sanded once more with 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper but just don't think it would do much to help.

    I am looking for a glossy shine. I have 8 or 10 coats of paint on now so I think I am fine with the amount of coats. I can't imagine 2 or 4 more coats would magically get me a glossy finish. I did the prescribed plan of wet sanding with a higher grit paper after 2 coats and like I said I am now at 1000 grit.

    My guess to the issue is either my mix is off - perhaps I need more thinner or the heat in the garage was too high to dry or finish correctly. I think my technique is fine. I would love to be done with this!

    I would appreciate any help you can offer as to why the paint is drying to a flat matte finish.


    Thanks!

  5. #175
    Armed w/105 and dangerous InfiniteDetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    119

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deeman View Post
    Hello - I am super glad to find this thread and will dust it off and see if I can get some help.

    Before reading this thread I decided to use some Red Rust-oleum paint on an old truck. I used a 6" high density foam roller to apply it. Before applying I followed all the guidance on other articles and did a final wet sanding with 1000 grit. I honestly feel my prep was more than sufficient.

    I mixed the paint with mineral spirits and used the method to add mineral spirits until the paint dripped off a spoon after 3-4 seconds. I would guess the mix was about 60/40 paint to thinner.

    When I applied the paint I tried to do lighter coats. I did not load up the roller with too much paint. I was applying the paint in 80 degree weather - maybe 85 - but in a garage so it was not in the sun.

    The problem I have is once dry, the paint was never close to shiny and smooth. It was a bit textured but not overly orange-peeled. The paint is gloss red and it just seemed to dry like a matte flat paint.

    I am not sure if I sanded once more with 1200 or 1500 grit sandpaper but just don't think it would do much to help.

    I am looking for a glossy shine. I have 8 or 10 coats of paint on now so I think I am fine with the amount of coats. I can't imagine 2 or 4 more coats would magically get me a glossy finish. I did the prescribed plan of wet sanding with a higher grit paper after 2 coats and like I said I am now at 1000 grit.

    My guess to the issue is either my mix is off - perhaps I need more thinner or the heat in the garage was too high to dry or finish correctly. I think my technique is fine. I would love to be done with this!

    I would appreciate any help you can offer as to why the paint is drying to a flat matte finish.


    Thanks!
    Try some 105 by DA or by hand on a section and see if that brings out the gloss

  6. #176
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    I wanted to follow-up on my experience with this. I must have 20 coats on my truck by now as I was learning and trying to get it right. I did find that a 3:2 mix worked perfectly. I did use acetone and now realize one of the issues I was having was "flashing" of the paint. I know this is supposed to be common with acetone and I was afraid to switch to thinner after using acetone.

    The flashing I experienced was a matte finish on certain parts of the car. For example I must have tried to paint my hood (with a lot of hours sanding in between) to be uniform. I could get this beautiful liquid finish but would always get sections where the finish was more textured. Worse, once I rolled on the area and noticed it had a textured look I could not fix it during that session. I would need to sand the entire hood again and try again - and it would flash in another spot. Drive me crazy and I honestly gave up. I hope and think that thinner would fix this, not sure.

    I used a 4" foam roller - make sure it's pushed on all the way and Regal Red from Rustoleum. For what it is I love it. Thanks for all the info on this thread!!

  7. #177
    Armed w/105 and dangerous InfiniteDetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    119

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deeman View Post
    I wanted to follow-up on my experience with this. I must have 20 coats on my truck by now as I was learning and trying to get it right. I did find that a 3:2 mix worked perfectly. I did use acetone and now realize one of the issues I was having was "flashing" of the paint. I know this is supposed to be common with acetone and I was afraid to switch to thinner after using acetone.

    The flashing I experienced was a matte finish on certain parts of the car. For example I must have tried to paint my hood (with a lot of hours sanding in between) to be uniform. I could get this beautiful liquid finish but would always get sections where the finish was more textured. Worse, once I rolled on the area and noticed it had a textured look I could not fix it during that session. I would need to sand the entire hood again and try again - and it would flash in another spot. Drive me crazy and I honestly gave up. I hope and think that thinner would fix this, not sure.

    I used a 4" foam roller - make sure it's pushed on all the way and Regal Red from Rustoleum. For what it is I love it. Thanks for all the info on this thread!!
    I had great results using mineral spirits - have you tried that?

  8. #178
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Oakland County, Michigan
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    No, I did not try mineral spirits. Actually, that is what I should have mentioned in my update. I should have used mineral spirits and not acetone. I really appreciate the advice and time it took you to post all the updates and info. Do you know what I am referring to with the small sections of wet paint that show as textured? When applied wet it would immediately go on like this. As a desperate move I even loaded up the roller with extra paint since I thought it may have been just a lack of paint, but that did not help.


    I may try to do the hood once more and use mineral spirits just to see if it helped.

    Thanks again Infinite!!!!!

  9. #179
    Armed w/105 and dangerous InfiniteDetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,050
    Rep Power
    119

    Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

    Quote Originally Posted by Deeman View Post
    No, I did not try mineral spirits. Actually, that is what I should have mentioned in my update. I should have used mineral spirits and not acetone. I really appreciate the advice and time it took you to post all the updates and info. Do you know what I am referring to with the small sections of wet paint that show as textured? When applied wet it would immediately go on like this. As a desperate move I even loaded up the roller with extra paint since I thought it may have been just a lack of paint, but that did not help.


    I may try to do the hood once more and use mineral spirits just to see if it helped.

    Thanks again Infinite!!!!!
    I never had the issue you are describing but it sounds like a chemical reaction or super-fast flashing. I'll bet mineral spirits solves your issue. Make sure the paint is super clean before applying the next coat. I like to use a microfiber cloth and alcohol to wipe it down before applying the next coat. You can also use any pre-paint prep from a paint store. Some people also use glass cleaner.

    Good luck

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8101112131415161718

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wet-sanding - Fresh Paint vs Factory Paint
    By Mike Phillips in forum Sanding Automotive Paint - Hand/Machine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Sep 15th, 2011, 06:39 AM
  2. What is the meaning of soft paint?
    By Mike Phillips in forum Hot Topics & Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
  3. Some newb qns
    By top_cat87 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 26th, 2006, 09:47 AM
  4. whats the difference
    By bjayjr5679 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
  5. Claying im stuck ??
    By WhiteCamaro88 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jun 21st, 2005, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •