• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Thanks for the quick responses!

Here's the before . . .

Comment

Whoa! That's like 6 acres of sheet metal to paint!!! Good luck

Comment

yeah, it'll be hard to make it look worse though, LOL.

Comment

Pics coming tomorrow. Decided to go all red for the ease of it.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it

Comment

Here's after 6 coats body line and higher, 3 coats below. Still have at least 2 left below body line. If the final product looks fractionally as good as yours I'll be happy. Few posts higher is before.

Comment

Looks really good! The goal of the rustoleum paint job is to acheive a good "10-foot" paint job i.e. it looks good from 10 feet away. Looks like you have achieved that already, and it's only gonna get better with polishing.

Nice work

Comment

Looks good!! I need to test this theory out on an old hood I have....just haven't had the time.

Comment

I haven't been keeping up with this thread lately but is that a dually s-10 pickup cuz that's what it looks like. But any way the truck looks great and I look forward
                    to seeing it done. More pics pls.

Comment

I love it!! I am really excited to see what a detailer can do with this paint method. I definitely will be trying this in the future. Quick question, what backing plate are you using when you are sanding with your PC. I'm afraid the standard yellow urethane plate might generate heat and melt the glue and/or the edges will gouge the paint. Thanks, your work really is awesome.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Trackdawson View Post
                        I love it!! I am really excited to see what a detailer can do with this paint method. I definitely will be trying this in the future. Quick question, what backing plate are you using when you are sanding with your PC. I'm afraid the standard yellow urethane plate might generate heat and melt the glue and/or the edges will gouge the paint. Thanks, your work really is awesome.

Ben
                        I used the Meg's Damp Sanding kit - they provide an "interface pad" that goes between the backing plate and the sanding disc. I used a standard 5" backing plate. And Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDetail View Post
                          I used the Meg's Damp Sanding kit - they provide an "interface pad" that goes between the backing plate and the sanding disc. I used a standard 5" backing plate. And Thanks
                          Hey Infinite,

I think I have looked at this entire thread at one point or another, but I can't remember - did you ever post any pics of the hood in direct sun? Any on the car?

I am about to try this on a friend's 2002 328 black beamer and would love to get an idea of the end result in sunlight.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                            Hey Infinite,

I think I have looked at this entire thread at one point or another, but I can't remember - did you ever post any pics of the hood in direct sun? Any on the car?

I am about to try this on a friend's 2002 328 black beamer and would love to get an idea of the end result in sunlight.

Thanks!
                            Mark, sunlight pictures here

Although it came out pretty good, it's still a 10 footer. I probably wouldn't recommend it for a BMW in black - red, blue, white or yellow, but not black!

Comment

I tried this on a chevy van and it worked great! I skipped many of the steps you outline but the results were better than I expected. Good job!
                              Big Fish Service Company - Masters Of Cleaning

Comment

wow! ummm niiiiice job man!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');