• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

I've heard of this before...very intriguing concept for sure.

Don't at all take this the wrong way, but is there any chance you could get some pictures in the sunlight? I'm curious how this looks outside

Comment

I've heard of this working really well. So many good statements about this process out there.

Congrats!

You going to do the whole car next?
      www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

WOAH! I AM EXTREMELY SHOCKED WITH THE RESULTS! NOW I WANT TO GO TRY IT!
        A Pontiac is a Chevy with better trim.

Comment

Your results are truly amazing!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Andy
          Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
          Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Great job bro! It looked great today at the show!
            The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

That's Pretty Insane!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
              Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by OhioCarBuff View Post
                Wow I'm suprised rustoleum can look that shiny! I'm curious though, why not use one of the spray enamel automotive paints that come in an aerosol can at places like autozone? I mean those paints are actually made for cars and still relatively cheap
                I thought about this, but the problem with spraying is that it gets on everything in the garage! Plus to get enough spray cans for the project would be alot more expensive.

Some people have sprayed the rustoleum with really good results using a HVLP gun - it reduces the sanding required...but if I were going to spray it, I'd use automotive single stage paint or maybe even base/clear...it's just more advanced thatn I am prepared to handle right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post

Don't at all take this the wrong way, but is there any chance you could get some pictures in the sunlight? I'm curious how this looks outside
                  I'll try and get some tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Murphy View Post
                    I've heard of this working really well. So many good statements about this process out there.

Congrats!

You going to do the whole car next?
                    Thanks I will do the upper half of the car and leave the original paint on the bottom half as the paint is in decent shape on the vertical panels.

Comment

Originally posted by paudashlake View Post
                      WOAH! I AM EXTREMELY SHOCKED WITH THE RESULTS! NOW I WANT TO GO TRY IT!
                      Thanks, I would definitely give it a try if you have the right car for it and the time. Technique is pretty easy - after rolling on a few coats you get a feel for how to do it best. Then it's just consistent sanding!

I would kill for a good Mirka or Dynabrade DA sander! Would make it alot easier

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
                        Your results are truly amazing!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Andy
                        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by audionutmike View Post
                          Great job bro! It looked great today at the show!
                          Thanks Mike, do you know a good detailer that can polish it out for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
                            That's Pretty Insane!
                            LOL, I thought so too. I was pleasantly surprised. I've never seen it done in black before so I wasn't too sure if it would turn out or not

Comment

Very nice. I saw a website years ago where a guy painted his GTO using this method. The end result was amazing, just as you showed. I've always wanted to do this since I saw the website.

Shane, the reason for doing this versus a spray can method is the diluted Rustoleum self levels and makes for a very smooth surface free of the imperfections you'll get with a rattle can job. You'll definitely know that you painted your car with spray paint, but I think you'd be hard pressed to know someone painted their car with a foam roller and some Rustoleum using the OP's method.

Colin
                              A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post

I, too, would like to see some full sun shots. The website I saw wasn't a detailing website so the pictures weren't taken the way MOL'ers would want them to be taken. I haven't seen one first hand so some more pictures would be awesome.

Colin
                                A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');