• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Had to post after finding this forum...

'93 Cavy that was totally rusted out and covered with clear coat failure and surface rust. Cost me just over $47 to paint - used Rustoleum Safety Red.

The meguiars really brought out the shine

btw.. we have a forum dedicated to rolled on paintjobs atrolledon.com

Comment

Originally posted by RoboGeek View Post

'93 Cavy that was totally rusted out and covered with clear coat failure and surface rust. Cost me just over $47 to paint - used Rustoleum Safety Red.

Looks fantastic!

By the way, we ask new members to reach 30 posts before posting hyperlinks, so I edited your link to confirm to the site's rules

Welcome to MOL!

Comment

Originally posted by RoboGeek View Post

Wow, I had seen a '66 Mustang rolled in red but your Cavalier is the best I've seen yet! Did you wetsand before polishing?

Comment

Kerrinjeff, great job with the black paint. Black paint whatever the method of application is always more of a challenge than any other colors as all flaws will show. As with any pain job, no matter the method, preparation is the key. The finish product is only going to be as good as what is under the paint, and from what I can see you have done a great job.

Like Robogeek, I too am experienced with using the roll on Rust-Oleum paint method. I have done several complete cars as well as a few partials, such as the top of a 1968 Ford Thunderbird which I had to remove the vinyl top because of cracking. I live at an elevation of about 5,600 feet and I have no covered parking which leaves all of my cars exposed to extreme weather both in the Winter and the Summer. I can not justify paying thousands of dollars for a professional paint job only to have a car exposed to year round weather.
          Here are some pictures of two of the cars that I have done.
          A 1973 Ford Ranchero Squire Cobra Jet, which is now going through it's fourth Winter since being painted and the paint has proven itself to me as being very durable. I wax them twice a year and they keep on shining.
          The second car pictured is my 1973 Mercury Cougar Convertible, it is going through it's second winter with the Rust-Oleum paint.
          The Ranchero was painted using a mix of Gloss Dark Hunter Green and Gloss Black on the body, and the Wood trim was pained using Satin Summer Squash as a base color and a Minwax Polyshade was used over the base to create the grain.
          The Cougar is painted with Gloss Sunburst Yellow and Gloss Black.
          I am currently painting two other cars with this method as weather permits, as all my painting is done outdoors.
          The site mentioned by Robogeek is very good for more information on this type of painting.

Comment

I'm curious how thick the paint goes on. Does anyone have one of those digital thickness measuring devices they could use so we can see?

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
              I'm curious how thick the paint goes on. Does anyone have one of those digital thickness measuring devices they could use so we can see?
              I don't know the actual thickness of each coat but they are very thin.
              By thinning it with a 50/50 paint to Mineral Spirits mix it is a very liquidity consistency. Coats are applied very thin with wet sanding between every two coats. 8-10 coats usually is enough to get the job done. Some colors and panels might require a few more coats. Also the mineral spirits help the paint to self level. After applying the last coat, I found that it is best to wait a couple a weeks before polishing to allow the paint to fully dry. I have found that I get a much clearer and brighter shine by doing so.

Comment

total thickness is about like an 80's single stage enamel paint job. It uses many thin coats to manage the orange peel and flaws rollers will leave. You take off quite a bit wet sanding to get it smooth, which is why many thin coats are better than a few thick ones. Many of the coats I applied were basically sanded off, leaving just a little in the low areas to help it get smoother.

these really shouldn't be called rolled on paint jobs - they should be called sanded off paint jobs!!

Comment

RoboGeek speaks the truth! I found my PC made an awesome sander with 600-2000 grit sanding discs from my local auto paint supply store. It was alot easier with the PC, and the results were more uniform as well.

Comment

This is an awesome post!!! I have heard about using a roller to paint a car before but never using rustoleum.

It has inspired me to try to do this on my father's 72 beetle. I just need to convince the owner to give me his blessing yet...

Comment

Great work and post Jeff

2 key points to a great finish and hold out are following the 100 grit rule as to follow each sanding step with a grit no more than 100 grit higher than the one before and after painting and wet sanding or dry sanding allow solvent to escape overnight prior to buffing.

Comment

Originally posted by Garage Troll View Post
                        This is an awesome post!!! I have heard about using a roller to paint a car before but never using rustoleum.

It has inspired me to try to do this on my father's 72 beetle. I just need to convince the owner to give me his blessing yet...
                        The guy over on the Mopar forum that started the whole thing painted his '72 beetle in rustoleum orange:

Comment

Originally posted by SHYNEMAN123 View Post
                          Great work and post Jeff

2 key points to a great finish and hold out are following the 100 grit rule as to follow each sanding step with a grit no more than 100 grit higher than the one before and after painting and wet sanding or dry sanding allow solvent to escape overnight prior to buffing.
                          Thanks

It seems the consensus is about 2 weeks drying time before buffing to get maximum gloss and shine with this technique. I am about 1/3 of the way through painting the top half of my Mustang, will post more pics when I'm done

Comment

Fantastic job, I could see it being done in white, but black, that's truly amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by bcgreen View Post
                              Fantastic job, I could see it being done in white, but black, that's truly amazing.
                              Thanks

Comment

I let mine sit over a month in the sun. The shine was much better then the test patch I tried after a week. Fortunately a vacation took some time up or I would have been too anxious to do it sooner

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');