• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Originally posted by RoboGeek View Post
    I let mine sit over a month in the sun. The shine was much better then the test patch I tried after a week. Fortunately a vacation took some time up or I would have been too anxious to do it sooner
    I will be doing the same - I am finishing up the rest of the top half of the car now, and in spite of a few shows coming up I will resist the temptation to wetsand and polish too early. I'm going to give it a month in the sun as well

Also - I switched the paint:mineral spirits mixture from 1:1 to 3:2 and it seems to be just right, for AZ climate in March at least

Comment

Originally posted by kerrinjeff View Post
      I will be doing the same - I am finishing up the rest of the top half of the car now, and in spite of a few shows coming up I will resist the temptation to wetsand and polish too early. I'm going to give it a month in the sun as well

Also - I switched the paint:mineral spirits mixture from 1:1 to 3:2 and it seems to be just right, for AZ climate in March at least
      I have found that a 60/40 mix works well for me during the warmer months here where the weather is very much like AZ. climate, usually single digit humidity. During the cold months like right now 50/50 is working well, that is when the temperature is warm enough to apply paint.

Comment

Wow- love the thread-
        It's true that you can do a lot with some rollers and paint from the local hardware store in your garage!
        I layed down about 10 coats of Rustoleum White thinned about 30-40% to the consistency of nonfat milk and buffed it out later...
        The key is THIN THIN THIN since it's way easier to roll on another coat then to sand out orange peel.

Before:

After:

Marc in SF
        63 Comet with $50 Rustolem Paint Job
        Last edited by Markus Kleis; Mar 11, 2010, 12:27 AM. Reason: No hyperlinks before 30 posts

Comment

Welcome to MOL Marc - sweet comet!

Just a friendly FYI, I edited out your Hyperlink. We ask new users to reach 30 posts before posting hyperlinks. Thanks in advance for understanding!

Mark

Comment

I varied my mix daily, depending on the temp. I painted from 60-90 degrees depending on the daily temp and if it was the morning or evening coat. Thinning it less worked better on a heat soaked car on a hot day

Comment

I varied my mix daily, depending on the temp. I painted from 60-90 degrees depending on the daily temp and if it was the morning or evening coat. Thinning it less worked better on a heat soaked car on a hot day
              I agree, and the humidity or lack of humidity also factors in.

Comment

what the what!? Roll on paint....ehh? Im so confused....these paint jobs look to good to be true. Awesome! Anyone have a link to a full write up on this kind of process?
                "Every moment frontin and maxin
                Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
                "

Comment

Originally posted by Zuke View Post
                  what the what!? Roll on paint....ehh? Im so confused....these paint jobs look to good to be true. Awesome! Anyone have a link to a full write up on this kind of process?
                  If I had 30 points I could post a link.
                  try looking under rolled on affordable paintjobs
                  Note "paintjobs" as one word.

Comment

Nice work, way to go!
                    From what I've read on the internet about painting cars w/ a roller, light colors work best (white is very forgiving) and forget trying to do metallics. Like any paint job, surface prep is key; can't make chicken salad out of chicken ----
                    If the bodywork a bit wavy, white is very forgiving.
                    Here's a tip: If your side panels not perfect, just add a straight pinstripe tape and they will look MUCH better.

Comment

• Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Originally posted by DetailArtist View Post
                      Here's a tip: If your side panels not perfect, just add a straight pinstripe tape and they will look MUCH better.
                      Could you clarify that ? I don't understand...

Comment

for some reason red seems to be the hardest to roll on - it tends to have an uneven coloration. Where I could have probably gotten by with 8 coats of any other color, I needed to do a few more very thin coats to get it to look right with that red I used. But its the brightest red I've ever seen in a paint - they aren't kidding when they call it 'safety red'!

Comment

Originally posted by Squire Cobra Jet View Post
                          If I had 30 points I could post a link.
                          try looking under rolled on affordable paintjobs
                          Note "paintjobs" as one word.
                          www.rolledon.com

Comment

for some reason red seems to be the hardest to roll on - it tends to have an uneven coloration. Where I could have probably gotten by with 8 coats of any other color, I needed to do a few more very thin coats to get it to look right with that red I used. But its the brightest red I've ever seen in a paint - they aren't kidding when they call it 'safety red'!
                            I'd like to see pictures of that, do you have any?

Comment

Copied from page 9 of this thread.

Had to post after finding this forum...

'93 Cavy that was totally rusted out and covered with clear coat failure and surface rust. Cost me just over $47 to paint - used Rustoleum Safety Red.

The meguiars really brought out the shine

Comment

I'm loading up on Meguiars stuff.. just got some car wash stuff.. getting clay tomorrow. One year later and this paint has held up very well. I'm sure a big part of that is the Meguiars wax I used just before winter really hit.

I've never really detailed the car yet, so I'm looking forward to really trying out some of the tricks I'm learning here and over at the rolledon forums

I'll post more pics.. the whole project is on my facebook page too. If your interested, PM me and I'll add you - but then you'll have to be my neighbor on all my games.. hehe

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');