• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

WOW thats an amazing finish! With all the sanding is there any orange peel at all?
    Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

As good as the pictures look, they are not perfect. You can get it perfectly flat, but you will end up sanding through the top layer and it will leave a blemish. I found the best approach when performing final wetsanding is to sand lightly and don't try to remove everything

Comment

My last layers were so thin, they didn't have enough paint to really get orange peel. That made the sanding easier, and after it was done there was no orange peel left anywhere.

It does have flaws.. but they are bodywork and prep related.

I don't have enough posts to give you a link.. but the whole process is on my FB page

Comment

The problem I have here in dusty Arizona is all of the garbage that lands on the paint while it is drying. Plus got a couple of drips but that can probably be avoided with more practice

Comment

I lived in Palm Springs.. I can imagine since we had dust a mile thick on everything, except for a few rare calm days. Winter would be the time to paint there!

Comment

I'm with everyone else, the results are very impressive. I did the same roll-on rustoleum method to my Jeep and while it turned out well, it isn't nearly as deep and reflective as this. I am going to go back and polish it again with the recipe listed in the first post and maybe get it to shine a bit more.

Dumb question...what does PC stand for? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Augy View Post
                I'm with everyone else, the results are very impressive. I did the same roll-on rustoleum method to my Jeep and while it turned out well, it isn't nearly as deep and reflective as this. I am going to go back and polish it again with the recipe listed in the first post and maybe get it to shine a bit more.

Dumb question...what does PC stand for? Thanks!
                Thanks

PC stands for Porter Cable 7424 polisher, which is a DA polisher. Meguiar's makes a G110 V2 DA polisher which is probably the best DA out there. The Porter Cable 7424 XP is a close 2nd, and the PC 7424 is the old model but works just fine

Comment

Ok, thanks. I don't feel quite so dumb now Guess I'm off on a hunt to find a used PC!

Comment

Not a dumb question at all.

Used PC? - here's a member selling a used G110 for $85. Try PM'ng and check whether its still available.
                    Learning new things everyday

Comment

Any updated pictures

Comment

Originally posted by aussie-01 View Post
                        Any updated pictures

Soon! I finshed painting the top half of the Mustang and have been letting it bake in the sun for a month. I'll be doing the final sanding and polishing this weekend and I'll post fresh pics.

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by DetailArtist
                          Here's a tip: If your side panels not perfect, just add a straight pinstripe tape and they will look MUCH better.

Could you clarify that ? I don't understand...
                          If the bodywork is wavy under the new paintjob, a new pinstripe tape (applied arrow straight) will stand out, sort of an optical illusion.

Comment

Got some updated pics - not completely done yet but getting there!

I attended the Meg's pro clinic last week and picked up the new DA wetsanding system. It is phenomenal!

I did a 50/50 on the trunk:

I recoated the hood about a month ago with a slightly thicker mixter (60/40) and sanded and polished yesterday. Still have lots of corners and tight areas to finish up by hand. These pictures are of the newest coat.

Finishing Process was:

- 1500 Megs film sandpaper via PC @ speed 4
                            - 3000 foam backed sanding disc via pc @ speed 4
                            - M105 on LC yellow pad @ Speed 6 (2 passes)
                            - M205 on LC green pad @ speed 5 (2 passes)
                            - M21

Going to try and finish it out in the next few weeks then I'll get some full car shots

Here's a shot my wife took while driving, I thought it was pretty cool

Comment

Nice work, especially on your first post in this thread
                              '96 Ford Probe GT-T
                              ET Extreme Graphics - Simple Superior

Comment

Any updates on this? I have a '79 Camaro that I am planning on painting black w/using this method. Your Mustang looks like it turned out great. I am not expecting perfect, just something comparable to the original paint job that was on it.
                                Thanks,
                                Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');