• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My "rustoleum $50 roll-on paint job"

Originally posted by kevs79 View Post
    Any updates on this? I have a '79 Camaro that I am planning on painting black w/using this method. Your Mustang looks like it turned out great. I am not expecting perfect, just something comparable to the original paint job that was on it.
    Thanks,
    Kevin
    Kevin I'll see if I can get some fresh pics for you. It's definitely a 10 footer. I'm positive you can get a paint job close to factory with one of the lighter colors. Black will be very very difficult to replicate the quality of a factory paint job with, at least if you are rolling.

If you spray it, you stand a much better chance of approaching a factory finish.

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDetail View Post
      Kevin I'll see if I can get some fresh pics for you. It's definitely a 10 footer. I'm positive you can get a paint job close to factory with one of the lighter colors. Black will be very very difficult to replicate the quality of a factory paint job with, at least if you are rolling.

If you spray it, you stand a much better chance of approaching a factory finish.
      Some more pic's would be great!! I just don't have the place to spray it and don't want to deal w/the overspray. Again, not expecting perfection....10 footer quality is just what I am looking for. Thanks again.

Comment

this is really cool. who woulda thought eh? I showed a friend at work he is thinkin about tryin this out on his truck.
        2017 Honda CR-V

Comment

Ok I am planning on doing this to my vehicle. I would like to know exactly what i need for supplies. Do I use Rustoleum "oil based" or something different for this? If you could please post a complete list of supplies needed to do this. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by spinall4 View Post
            Ok I am planning on doing this to my vehicle. I would like to know exactly what i need for supplies. Do I use Rustoleum "oil based" or something different for this? If you could please post a complete list of supplies needed to do this. Thanks

You will need:
            • 4" high density foam roller with a few spare roller pads
            • 6" high density foam roller with a few spares.
            • A couple of foam brushes are handy as well
            • 1 gallon of mineral spirits for thinning to a 60/40 mixture
            • foam sanding block
            • 400,600,800,1000,1500,2000 grit sand paper suitable for wetsanding
            There's some really comprehensive write ups on how to do it, just google "Rustoleum paint job"

Also - I recommend lighter colors such as gloss white, blue, orange, or red. Although I did black and it looks pretty decent, it's not perfect. It's alot easier to get very good results with the lighter colors

Comment

Ok thank you very much!

Comment

Does anyone know if they sell a matte black or satin black paint? And would you also sand and polish this? I'm a big fan of matte black painted cars.

Comment

ok here it goes, a "dumb" question! how do i wetsand a paint that is basically repelling water? I just finished my first 2 coats a couple days ago and am ready to wetsand to apply 2 or 3 more coats then wetsand again. And water just beads up and rolls right off therefor wetsanding is virtually impossible. Forgive me for the "dumb" question as I am an amature at this kinda stuff. Any input helps. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by spinall4 View Post
                    ok here it goes, a "dumb" question! how do i wetsand a paint that is basically repelling water? I just finished my first 2 coats a couple days ago and am ready to wetsand to apply 2 or 3 more coats then wetsand again. And water just beads up and rolls right off therefor wetsanding is virtually impossible. Forgive me for the "dumb" question as I am an amature at this kinda stuff. Any input helps. Thanks.
                    Make sure the paper is wet and after you get a few sanding strokes in, you won't have the beading problem

Comment

Any update on the pics? Would love to see how the whole car turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by kevs79 View Post
                        Any update on the pics? Would love to see how the whole car turned out.
                        Sorry, we've been so busy with our customers' cars I haven't had time to do anything with it! I'll try and get some this weekend

Comment

Now that I've been inspired . . . I started my project today. Your Mustang looks great. I'm doing safety red from body line up and gloss black down. After last coat, do you wet sand then let it cure, then buff? Or last coat, let cure then wet sand and buff?

Comment

You want to let the last coat cure for a couple of months before you touch it...then wet sand and buff. Red will look great! Black is difficult, so be prepared to redo it a time or two Be sure to post pics

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteDetail View Post
                              The next time I do it, I will do it like this (3 hours between coats):

3 coats - wetsand with 600 grit
                              3 coats - wetsand with 800 grit
                              3 coats - wetsand with 1000 grit, finish with 2000 grit

It's easy to sand through the thin layers, and when you do it is noticable (at least with black). I have a theory that if I apply the next coat while the previous coat is still tacky, all 3 coats will flow together providing a thicker and seamless coat for sanding. Just a theory at this point but I will be testing it this weekend.

The trick is to try not to sand everything off between coats!
                              Did you test this theory? It makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by shane772 View Post
                                Did you test this theory? It makes sense.
                                Yes I did and had mixed results - they do flow together but this results in alot more orange peel.

I think it best to do 2 coats with 12 hours drying time in between, wait 24 hours, sand, and repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');